Need Help - Batteries deplete overnight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pghassing

Have a 2006 Alpenlite 5th Wheel w/6 new 6v bats, solar and inverter and I think a converter. Without shore power Batteries run down overnight with very little load. I have tried all my ideas. Anybody experienced similar issues? When I hook up shore power after only a couple of hours off it the inverter shows high level of recharge. Many amps - Inverter does work to power 120 stuff. Only obvious load is detectors.

Double check your trailer break away switch for the brakes you might find that pin is either pulled out, missing, or switch is damaged.

But it would be smart to check all circuits with a amp meter to find your draw.

Without some measurements of DC and AC power draw, it is difficult to guess where your power is going. You should have a voltmeter and ammeter on  the battery bank itself to monitor power draw, and a portable unit to measure the load on individual circuits for diagnostic purposes.

One other thought: when is the last time you checked the water in the battery cells? If low on electrolyte, the batteries will have very limited capacity. Are these 6x v golf cart batteries? How old?

Six Six volt (Assuming GC2) is a LOT of power. that's 690 amp hours,  I mean I could Microwave for an hour on that much battery and not kill it if it's fully charged .(Roughly 3KWH of usable power).  There has to be a "phantom load" on that.

Else that or the batteries are not as good as you think they are.

Or they're not getting fully charged! A couple of hours is awfully fast for any charger to even touch that much battery.

JM2C,

Ernie

Most trailers come stock from the factory with a converter, to convert 120 VAC to 12 VDC to run the lights and charge the batteries.

If you have a whole house inverter-charger, it was likely installed after-market.

Make sure the installer disconnected the stock converter.  If it's still in-circuit, it's likely it's likely plugged into an AC outlet or connected to a circuit that's on the inverter and you've set up a feedback loop.  DC power runs from the battery to the inverter, then AC goes to the converter, which turns it back into DC to feed to the battery.  Since each conversion is less than 100% efficient, the converter goes to full output trying to makeup for the current being drawn by the inverter and the conversion losses will drain even the largest of battery banks.

Back
Top Bottom