Need help buying a fifth wheeler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just did a Google Maps search for RV dealers in your area. Wow, you've got a bunch of them.

My advice would be go to as many dealers as you can and walk through as many trailers as you can until your legs hurt from going in and out of them.

You will soon get a feel for what you like as far as layout which is the most important thing to look at. 

I don't know anybody who has ever bought just one RV. So don't spend a ton on the first one.

One of the fun things I like to do when shopping for an RV is ask the salesperson what kind of RV they own and where they go camping.  About 1 in 10 own an RV that I've talked to over the past 40 years.

Arch Hoagland said:
My advice would be go to as many dealers as you can and walk through as many trailers as you can until your legs hurt from going in and out of them.

But leave your check book, credit card and any cash at home.

I have a 2013 F350.  I have downloaded the spec sheets for that year.  If you can provide full info on the truck, I can read the chart for you.    Cab style, bed length, 2WD or 4WD, motor, tire size and trim level.

Better, look at the driver door latch post for a yellow border placard.  It will tell you the max load YOUR truck can carry.

As others have posted, you may well be better off with a pull-behind travel trailer rather than a 5th wheel. You won?t have as much load on the truck for a given trailer weight, leaving you more leeway in the amount of gear and people you can put in the truck.  Or, you can make up the difference with a bigger trailer that would be better suited to handle your expected 8 sleepers.

I just bought a used 2015 Keystone Alpine, 3536RE.

I wanted to pay 70% of NADA value, for a quality fifth wheel.  I kept negotiating until I found a rig that I could buy.

Have cash.  Be ready to pounce.

What does the yellow sticker in the door jam says about payload?  This will determine how much FW you can handle.

Back
Top Bottom