Need help on towing questions (I know, not the first one)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave b

I have a 2005 Ford Expedition, 5.4 Triton, has towing package.  Ford website indicates Expedition with tow package can have a GCWR of 15,000-pounds.  Intuitively, to me, sounds high.  I figure vehicle empty is 7,300 pounds.  Adding passengers, fuel, maybe 300 pounds cargo, now I am about 7,850 pounds in the tow vehicle.  I am looking to buy a 29 foot Starcraft Travel Star RV at 5,300 pounds empty.  Adding propane, water, dishes, battery, etc, probably now at 6,000 pounds or so.  Estimating combined weights of both at 13,850 or 92% of the reported GCWR.  Then there is the issue of 29+ feet behind the Expedition.  Am I going to be OK or am I pushing my limits and asking for problems?  Thanks.

I fear you are taking the complicated way around in analyzing your problem.  Try approaching it from the standpoint of your vehicle's tow rating.  According to the  Trailer Life 2005 tow rating tables, your rig has a rating of 8900 lbs for the 2WD version, 8600 lbs for the 4WD. 

Compare that to the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the trailer you want it to tow.  Your 29' Starcraft GVWRs run about 8000-8500 depending on the model.  East of the Rocky Mountains, you should be OK to tow.

However, if you plan to tow in the Rocky Mountain and Pacific West, the 11 western states, it is another matter.  You Expedition's gas engine will lose 3% of its rated HP for every 1000 feet of altitude that it is operating at.  Moreover, you will encounter long, steep grades out there, even on Interstate Highways.  I recommend discounting gas vehicle tow ratings by 20% out here.  That would limit you to trailers with GVWRs of no more than 7120 lbs  (6900 lbs with the 4WD). 

So, your 29 foot Starcrafts look fine in the East, but in the West, look for a lighter unit.

Yeah, there's no way that Expy weighs 7300 empty or full.  And by the time you get all loaded up, you will have more than 700 pounds tacked on to that 5300 pounds of empty trailer weight.  Your best bet is to load it all up and take it to a scale.  That way you know for sure.  But I really think Carl has hit it pretty close. 

Thanks guys, here's the scoop.  My  door post tag says the "gvwr" is 7,300 pounds which is for everything on board, including the yorkie dog.  I stand corrected. So we are in pretty much agreement, the 5300 pound (plus loaded stuff) 29 foot long trailer should be OK east of the rockies?  No too long? 

Length is not an issue, assuming an adequate WD hitch with built-in sway control.  I have little confidence in those friction-type anti-sway devices - they are rarely adjusted properly to be effective. Even if set up right to begin with, they probably won't be the 2nd or 3rf time you use them. Get an Equalizer or Reese Dual Cam hitch with integrated sway control. Better yet, a Hensley or Propride hitch for that size of travel trailer. Pricey but a superior way to go.

Extra emphasis on;

"Length is not an issue, assuming an adequate WD hitch with built-in sway control."

Without that stuff you could be white knuckle city.

I bought a Ford Expedition set up close to yours except it was a 4x4 (not sure if yours is). It was a really nice truck and did really ok empty. I had a TT that weighed around 6350 lbs going down the road. I used the Expedition to pull the TT once on a trip that was about 400 miles round trip. The Expedition handled the weight of the TT really well but the motor didn't have enough power to get out of it's own way. Going over it wouldn't pull at all in High gear (5 speed auto) and I ended up using 2nd on all of the hills. On the way home there was a little head wind and I had to run it in second and third gear almost all the way home. To stay with traffic (55 mph) I ran it at 4K rpm for nearly 200 miles. I bought the Expedition specifically to pull this trailer and was told it would do it easily. I was so upset with this truck I told myself that it was either going to pull the trailer back home or blow up trying. It didn't blow up but as soon as I got home it went up for sale. Most gutless tow rig I have ever owned. I think that Ford has a tendency to over rate their motors and their tow ratings (on this truck anyway).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom