need help stabilizing my 1995 coachman catalina.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juanzo

hi guys/gals. my name is Juan and im new to rving. my wife and i just took the family on a trip to myrtle beach a few weeks ago and we had a great time. getting there was a little different. i am a truck driver by trade and i have to say that driving my rv on the highway faster than 55-60 was really REALLY SCARY! it handles very poor and i am kinda regretting buying it. i have been searching online for things to improve on my rig to make it handle better. i have read some people have put on their rig 19" wheels compared to the scrawny 16" on thier now. i have put quite a few bucks into it since i bought it. i installed a banks intake and full exhaust header to tip. full tuneup,chassis lube,wipers,ac charge up, full detail by now you get the picture. its got some great pep now that it has the banks system but handleing is very very poor. i need suggestions from the community on what i can do. like i said i heard about people slapping on 19" wheels somehow. i heard about swaybars and whatnot. i just dont know where to start.... plz advise a young newbie and family. ty.

You might start here with Gary Brinck's article on Handling:
http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=424:mh-handling&catid=24:tech-topics&Itemid=155

The other point is tire pressure. improper tire pressures will affect the handling quite a bit. Tires must be inflated to pressures determined by the load they are carrying.

Let's have a drink & compare notes!!!! 

I'm on my ipad right now... And couldn't do a link to this post I wrote a few days ago... So I'm copying it here for you.  :)  I'll be back to see how you fare on this!  :)

Here ya go:

Click here.

So.... You're not alone!  I don't regret buying mine - yet, anyway... But it's going to have to get fixed or I'm not going farther than the next county in mine!

Sally
Edit: Added link.

Well, gas chassis coaches of that era weren't good handling at their best, and that wasn't the best model of its day either. Plus, you have already sunk too much money into it with the Banks stuff. Well, that's water over the dam, I guess.

What chassis is it, i.e. Ford F53 or Chevy P30?  The engine will tell you - 460 for the Ford or 454 for the Chevy.

Get it weighed and set the tire pressure right for the axle load. Make sure the tires have adequate weight capacity too - it wasn't unusual back then for the OEM tire to be marginal.

For the Chevy, make sure the air bags in the front coils are holding air and inflated properly for the front axle weight (somewhere in the 40-90 psi range, depending on axle size). Then beef up the front anti-sway bar and put new bushings in as well. Might also need a Henderson Supersteer bell crank too - the OEM one was really sloppy.

For the Ford F53, add a panhard rod, such as the Davis Tru Trak or Henderson Super Steer Track Bar. Probably want an improved (stiffer) front and/or rear anti-sway bar too.

Here is a good source for suspension and steering upgrades for your vintage of coach
http://www.supersteerparts.com/

hey guys. my rv is on a  ford chassis f53 460 engine. i dont regret doing what i have done to my rv.. banks and whatever else ive done..the tires are brand new michelins 235 85 16 i dont think that my rig has airbags..not sure though..the wife and i love the rv we bought it off a old couple and the rv has very little use for its age. only 20k when i bought it.. now has 23k.. inside looks brand new and we got is at a steal..compared to book value. i knew i was gonna dump some money into it just by the guys story.. i just dont know where to begin with the handling. i just wanna do thing right no short cuts my family is riding in it.

i heard you sally. i took this beast from central Massachusetts all the way to myrtle beach and after i got home i slept for 2 days steering that "THING" that we love ;D all the way there and home was an OLYMPIC SPORT for sure. my upper body was sore for 2 days ...christ! did i mention that i drive 18 wheelers? i was never so glad to be home from anywhere than the day i backed into my rv pad!!!.....whew! :eek:

Right, the Ford has no air bags. Start with my suggestions for a Ford F53 chassis and also read my library article on Motorhome Handling (link provided earlier by Alfa38)

If this wasn't already done when the tires replaced, get the alignment checked by a qualified shop that routinely works on large trucks.  Sometimes those places will have an "RV guy" that can give you some suggestions for smoothing things out.  My 1994 35' Class A (same Ford 460 chassis as yours, and same size LT tires) was way out of alignment when I bought it, and also had a suspension connector bar that was bent (likely from improper jacking sometime in the RV's lifetime) and needed to be removed and straightened.

Some of it will just be getting used to how the RV handles... it won't be like any 18-wheeler you've ever drive that has air-ride suspension.  In fact you'll get accustomed to getting blown around a bit (and learn to compensate for it) by the trailer draft when semi's pass you on the interstate at a decent pace.  My Class A had rear airbags (maybe added aftermarket by a previous owner) and a Tru-Trak bar up front... although I eventually had the Tru-Trak removed and liked the handling/steering a bit better without it.  Just a personal preference (suggested to me by the "RV guy" at my local truck alignment shop) and YMMV as always.

thanks guys i think i know what im gonna do suspension/handling wise ty for everyone's help..... oh and btw i did find a place that manufactures 19.5" wheels for those on the same boat as me with the tiny wheels on our big rv's.  direct bolt on's no adapter plates or mickey mouse stuff!! www.ricksontruckwheels.com

i also found what seems to be a great value for 19.5" tires even though their retreads they should be fine if done right... what do ya'll think?
https://www.treadwright.com/tw/select-tire/size/225/70/R19.5

The problem with motor home tires is seldom the tread, it is the casing which dry rots from lack of use, unlike a truck or car tire which is used almost daily. Use and flexing forces the oils in the rubber compound to move about somewhat and this does not happen in a tire that just sits. The treads on motor home tires that have lived through a blowout were seldom worn to the point of needing to be replaced.

I don't think anyone here would ever consider re-treaded tires for use on a motor home. YMMV

I think you might be getting sidetracked with the tire idea. Gary's article on suspension issues should be a must read on a 1995 vintage chassis. If there are damaged or worn suspension components (pretty likely) replacing the tires may not help much, especially since they are almost new.

P.S. Retreads; no way.

+1 on no retreads.  Blowouts on an RV usually cause severe damage to the body, plumbing, even wiring.  No way I'd take any chances at all there.  I know that commercial trucks use re-treads or re-grooves frequently, but it seems like when one of them throws a tread, it's the car behind or beside them that get the damage, not the truck.  My last blow-out (back on my old class-C), damaged the body, fender liner, gray water tank and exhaust pipe.  The repair was much more expensive than I could have ever saved by buying discount tires for a lifetime!  I replaced all six with Maxxis and never had another tire issue.  The tire that blew, by the way, was a Michelin.  However, if I remember correctly, the tires were pretty old, and I had no business driving on them anyway.
Since your rig is nearing 20 years old, I'd bet that the old couple who didn't use it much never replaced the shocks.  20k miles isn't much, but 20 years is a long time.  At the very least, you might want to pull them and check them for proper operation, leaks, etc.  OEM shocks are never great on any vehicle (well, until you get into the high-end stuff), so you might be better off going for an upgraded replacement from a reputable suspension company.  Bilstien, Koni, (~$1-200 per corner), Monroe is probably cheaper.  (Never had a class-A, so these are generic suggestions).

I have a 93 Coachman Catalina on a Chevy frame  with a 454  and it drives like a dream  I am also a retired truck driver and was very surprised how well it handles on the road. My has the air ride system. I keep 50 psi all around and it corners like a sports car  well kinda sorta  :D  see if you can add the air bags they look like a breeze to add into the coil springs all around.  Stay in touch if I can help. Don

I just googled  air ride system for 95 coachman catilina F53  and there are several types listed and ideas. Don

ok got it! NO on the retreads.. it was just an idea. and don i wish my ford version of yours had the air ride.. i do think that my suspension is shot since on the ride to myrtle beach we felt every crack on the road.

...since on the ride to myrtle beach we felt every crack on the road.

Are the tires inflated correctly?? Too much pressure in the tires and tires inflated to the max  shown on the tire itself (unless the weight requires it) will cause these problems.

The tires should be inflated according to the manufacturers tables for the particular tire and the weight they are carrying. The front tire pressure and the rear tire pressure can often be  a little different.

Of course this implies that you have to have the coach weighed and you can do so at many truck stops, gravel pits, or at C.A.T. scales (a Big Yellow Sign). Since you do not need a certified weight like truckers do, it costs very little.

juanzo said:
i do think that my suspension is shot since on the ride to myrtle beach we felt every crack on the road.

It possible, and you should definitely get the front shocks checked out/replaced.  But from owning that vintage of rig for 5+ years, I will say that they don't really ride smoothly for the most part.  Air ride all around probably would help... my rig only had airbags on the rear.  Brand new shocks up front though, shortly before my purchase.  Cruising down the interstate it was fine, but bumpy roads were BUMPY with lots of rattles around the RV when you hit a big one! 

Tire pressure is important too as mentioned, although these large rigs with 16" LT tires will probably be close to max (if not maxed out) on air pressure to handle all the weight.  Based on my actual RV's weight and the Toyo tires I had installed for most of my ownership, I ran them at 80psi which I believe was also the max for the tire.  So not much cushion was achieved there.

so what about the 19.5 " wheels that you can get from http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/wheels-motorhome-fordf53.php their manufactured specifically for our rigs..  not too expensive either at 250ish dollars each? and regarding to the suspension i figured out all that i'm gonna replace if needed. :)

Nice wheels and the bigger tires are undoubtedly a plus. The downside is the cost of the wheels and the greater cost of 19.5" tires vs 16". Only you can decide if it's worth dumping that kind of money into the old gal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom