Need help to learn about our unit????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cant Wait

We picked up our unit (see sig.) the end of Apr this year. I spend 3 days reading the online Winnebago manual on our unit before the PDI. When we did the PDI I had a 8 page check list from the Forum. We spent 3 hrs going over the unit with a service tech (Not a salesman). The more I read the manuals that came with the unit the more I realize I don't REALLY know "JACK" about the in depth operation of the unit. For example the manual on the trans talks about 2 different "Economy" modes, and 2-3 other modes, but doesn't say how to program then on the tranny control panel. Also the Genny has a half dozen different "Auto Start" programs, i.e. "Quiet Hours" "Low Voltage", etc, but doesn't really say how to program the control panel. I'm one of those that can read a set of instructions 3 times over and it'll still be GREEK to me. I need to be able to physically handle, do, set, and generally mess with something to understand it. But to just start messing with the computerized control panels, etc. is not something I'd really want to do. So how does a person get to know the inner workings and set-up of their unit without blowing the circuits, shorting out the control panels, and just generally messing the thing up????

I know exactly how you feel, if it wasn't for G'Kids I would not be able to suggest an answer, I would be using a pen and pencil. 

One of the better things I have done is to join the WIT Club as it put me in touch with other Winnebago owners who in turn taught me a lot about my motorhome but also became close friends.

Check this site for the details on how to join and what other activities they provide.  Monthly campouts, caravans, rallies and the like, along with tech support from the factory reps and 10% discount from many dealers.

Don G.  WIT 70041

I'd highly (!) recommend you consider attending Camp Freightliner.  I attended a few years ago and found it to be absolutely the greatest for getting me started on my DP.  It won't help you a lot with the "house" stuff but they spend several days going over the engine/transmission/chassis systems and take a lot of the mystery out of it.  Even if you never plan on doing any of the work yourself you learn a lot about how to operate the systems and can better communicate issues with the mechanics when you do need service.

http://freightlinerchassis.com/Owner-Information/camp-freightliner/menu-id-98.html 

You should also check out the Freightliner Chassis Owners Club.  fcocrv.org  Lots of good info and a quarterly mag you can download going back several years that has good tips.

As far as the "house" stuff, there's ton's of info here and on the other Winnebago-specific forum at iRV2.  Between the two you'll find lots of info and people willing to answer your questions.

Yes I know about camp Freightliner, and the mechanical stuff is no problem for me, being as I drove tractor trailer for 20 years. I need the help with all the computerized interior stuff, i.e. the instruction book for the surround sound system does not match up with the remote control. The instructions show how to run the TV sound thru the surround sys, but one of the buttons the instructions sys to push is not on the controller for the surround sound.

First off take a chill pill, sit down and relax. You are making it all way harder than it really is. You don't have to master every single system in the RV to start using it. Simply turn off all the systems you don't understand and don't bother using them until you do understand them. You aren't going to figure everything out at once. It takes some time using the RV to become familiar with it. You can't really figure things out just by reading about them.

When people ask advise about buying their first RV the first thing I tell them is to buy an older used RV first. This is because RVs depreciate like a rock. Since you won't know what you want in an RV until you use one it is logical to buy an inexpensive one first, then find out what you really want and a year or so later you can upgrade to what you should have bought in the first place.

There is also one other advantage to buying an older RV first. They are much simpler. It makes it easier to start RVing with a simple RV without all the computerized doo-dads that come with the new ones. Personally I don't like all those new things. Anyhow you jumped right into the biggest baddest newest RV on the market so be prepared to spend some time reading. There is nothing really wrong with your approach other than it might cost you some money. However I would suggest just take the thing out and go do some camping and worry about the technical stuff later.

Since you've already purchased your RV, buying an older less computerized isn't really an issue.  We have your same RV except ours is the Itasca version Meridian 40U.  We've LEARNED to love it.  After 2 years there are things that I still am not completely comfortable with and I am pretty computer literate!  I taught online yearbook programs for many years!!  One thing to consider is going to the Winnebago Grand National Rally (GNR).  It's held every summer and is in fact coming up on the 21st of this month.  It's a week jam packed with great information.  They give classes on everything you could possibly want to learn about your motorhome.  We went last year and learned a lot, I've got a new list of items I need to learn about this year!  We don't really use the generator except going down the road since we usually have full hook-ups so the control panel for the generator hasn't come into play.  It's confusing and I'm still working on learning all of the features.  Most of it pertains to use when boondocking ie: quiet hours, low voltage, etc. 

Like others have said, ask questions, call customer support (they're great!!), and if you can...come to the GNR!

Most of all....Enjoy your rig!!

Mikie

Cant Wait said:
..So how does a person get to know the inner workings and set-up of their unit without blowing the circuits, shorting out the control panels, and just generally messing the thing up????
The suggestion about attending the Grand National Rally is an excellent one - there are many useful seminars to attend, some are put on by the product vendors and some by Winnebago staff explaining the various house systems. 

It's not too late to attend the GNR but you'll have to hustle.

I can simplify one thing for you right now: YOU cannot program the "economy mode" in the transmission. The "economy" button selects a pre-programmed (by Allison) alternative to the regular transmission programming. Basically all it does is cause an upshift to a higher gear a bit sooner (lower engine RPM) than the normal mode. This can give a slight increase in fuel economy is highway conditions that involve a lot of shifts, but has zero effect if most of your driving time is spent cruising in 6th gear, e.g. most interstate and major highway driving.

Programming instructions for the auto-generator-start (AGS) will be in the manual for the auto-start panel, which may or may not be from the same manufacturer as the generator. Often the auto-start function is provided as part of the inverter electrical control rather than a similar function from the generator manufacturer. Your generator manual probably doesn't have that information, and it is possible that the auto-start control panel you have offers different function than what is described in the generator book. What is the brand name and model number of the auto-start panel? Or the inverter, if the AGS function is provided through that?

If you go through the menus on the auto-start gen panel it should be more or less self explanatory and none of it will really apply unless you set the generator to "auto" which allows you to experiment at opportune times. The main reason that I use the auto start for is peace of mind with my dog...I have it set to come on if the coach loses power and the temp raises so that the generator will come on to power the AC's. Try Onans website for a more detailed manual if you did not receive one.
Congradulations and enjoy your new coach!

Well step 1 on learning more about our unit, we joined the WIT Club and a local state chapter. They're having a Tri-Club get together 2-4 Aug where I know I'll be able to pick-up a lot of info.  Step 2. I'll be attending the NY State WIT Rally in Syracuse NY in Sept. and KNOW I'll be able to get the rest of the info I need then. Thanks for the suggestions.

A lot of us (myself included) need to go back to the early days of Auto racing, and reinstitute the concept of "Riding Mechanic"!  Either full or part time, it would solve a lot of problems.

Cant Wait said:
Well step 1 on learning more about our unit, we joined the WIT Club and a local state chapter. ..
That is a great move, you will have fun and fellowship and can ask questions in person.

OLDRACER said:
A lot of us (myself included) need to go back to the early days of Auto racing, and reinstitute the concept of "Riding Mechanic"!  Either full or part time, it would solve a lot of problems.
On our cruising sailboat, I was the chief engineer, radio man, navigator and master of the vessel, not much has changed with the RV  :D.

Park it in your driveway and use it as if you were in a campground for a while try to learn something different every day, don't try to learn things all at once otherwise you will go nuts. Don't hesitate to call Winnebago on the toll free line they have mostly all the answers on the coach part, also don't hesitate to call Allison, Freightliner and Cummins. Take your time the more you use the coach the more you will learn. Be patient!!!!!!

Here's another possible solution to one of the problems you mentioned.  When we purchased our new coach I had the same problem with trying to use the surround sound system.  No matter how many times I read the manual and tried to follow the instructions nothing made sense.  I finally called Winnebago Owner Relations and determined that the manual they supplied in the Owner package was for a prior DVD unit that they no longer were using.  They emailed me the correct manual and everything became clear as glass. OK, maybe dirty glass but good enough to get the system to work.  I later made myself a cheat sheet with each step in clear English that sits on top of the DVD player for when I want to use it.  This way it does not matter how much I have forgotten between uses (which is usually most if not all). 

We finally got our surround sound working!  At the GNR, Dar's DH was able to help me figure it out (he figured it and I watched  ;D) anyway, we have to play ours through our DVR on Aux 2.  Their unit plays through Aux 1...go figure!  But, now thankfully, when we want surround sound...we've got it!!! Hurray!!! Thanks to Bill!!  You might want to try turning on your DVR and toggling through the modes!  YM2C

That's 1 of the issues with our Surround sound sys, the instructions say to set it to "AUX2" but there is only 1 AUX input and the TV's hooked into it. Setting it on AUX and it still doesn't work. Had help this weekend at a Winnebago get together and he couldn't figure it out either. If I still cant get it working after the State Rally then I'll call customer service.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom