Need help with trailer lock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

54chevy

OK, I have given up trying to find a lock for the trailer tongue of my 2005 Rockwood 8318SS. I have tried 4 different types of locks and none of them work with this tongue that has the lip near the top instead of at the bottom. I have attached some pics to give ideas. I even tried the ubolt style lock but the lip is wider than the ubolt opening. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• img079.jpg
    img079.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 60
  • img080.jpg
    img080.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 49
Oh man, is that one odd looking thing or what?  Wow, I'm afraid I can't offer much on that one.  I don't think I've seen anything like that.

Just padlock the latch, if that is a standard ball hitch you can put metal ball in the hitch and then lock it down  NOt as good as a full hitch lock but it will work to discourage those who are not all that determined.

Of course if they are all that determined taking even the best of locks off a trailer is very easy to do.

As John says, that hole in the latch is intended to take a standard padlock. Locking it prevents the coupler from being opened. You can lock it closed and empty, but it is better to put a standard ball in it first. That prevents a would be thief from using a small, non-standard, ball that fits in a closed coupler.

54chevy said:
OK, I have given up trying to find a lock for the trailer tongue of my 2005 Rockwood 8318SS. I have tried 4 different types of locks and none of them work with this tongue that has the lip near the top instead of at the bottom. I have attached some pics to give ideas. I even tried the ubolt style lock but the lip is wider than the ubolt opening. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same one on my US Cargo Snowmobile Trailer.  I will go snap a pic right now and send it to you.

One possibility might be to put a strong steel chain thru one of the tire/rim holes and lock the loop with a sturdy padlock. It's hard to pull a trailer with chain flapping on a wheel.

With crooks nothing is fool-proof.

carson FL

54chevy said:
Here it is!
http://www.blaylockind.com
BTW, it originally took me forever to find this lock.

Attachments

• blay_lock.jpg
    blay_lock.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 43
Thanks to everyone that has given me ideas. Thanks a bunch NEOHIOCAMPER I have already emailed Blaylock to find out where I can purchase one of their locks.  ;D

carson said:
It's hard to pull a trailer with chain flapping on a wheel.  With crooks nothing is fool-proof.

You're right about nothing being fool-proof.  A TT was stolen last year from the storage lot where we keep our 5'er.  The wheels on the TT were locked, but the thieves dragged it out anyway.

-Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom