Need new Insurance company for the Harley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
I got my renewal for the insurance for the Harley, and it's gone up about $70 a year.  It is currently with Progressive, and has been for the last 4 years.  It wasn't exactly cheap before, and now they are getting a bit ridiculous.

So far, Geico is the lowest, about $125 less than Progressive.  Allstate, Foremost (AARP) are just slightly more than Geico by about $20-40.  What I would really like to have is a policy that will let me reduce coverage while it is being stored while I am gone in the RV for several months at a time. 

Any suggestions for what works for you?

i go thru my home owners policy--and was with am reliable and they were gonna ditch me when the m/c policy expired(1 mar '17)--my home owners policy thru cincinnati ins put me on progressive--i always thought they were high cost--but i have 5 motorcycles insured with them now and am a happy camper w/'em--all my vehicles (cars, trucks, m/cs, boat, house and rental property) are insured w/cincy---my point is go with your homeowners and just add m/c on to it--been with cincy 35 yrs---JMMHO

I had Geico for years, got a seatbelt ticket and they cancelled me and sent me a check!
I went to Dairyland and it was 40% of the Geico premium, and they didn't seam to care I got a seatbelt ticket.

On the cars and MH Progressive is doing a good job on keeping the premiums down but they are way to high on a Harley, at least for me.

I want from Progressive to Safeco for my new Goldwing in 2004 and have been happy with them.
This was immediately after I totaled my 2002 Goldwing while with Progressive.
I'm currently at about 350/year for full coverage, including 8000 in "custom equipment". I think the bike is currently valued at around 11,000.

They do let me reduce coverage if I want, but won't let it completely drop. It got so that the difference wasn't enough to bother reducing the coverage when I'm in Alaska 4 months a year.

Have you looked into Harley Davidson Insurance?  Go to the HD official web site and click on the "Owners" tab across the top.  My 2004 Springer and Sportster before it have always been with HD insurance.  They will give you options among the insurance companies they deal with and at this time I am with Progressive.  They had me with Dairyland when I still had my Sportster and I think I was in another company for a few years. 
  One of the things I like about HD insurance is if you do change companies within their "umbrella" of companies you are not starting out as a new customer with a new company.  Give them a try, won't hurt.  Jim.

You might look at Dairyland as well. Good company that I have used for motorcycle insurance in the past. When I bought my new Goldwing just a month ago, Progressive was a tad higher than Dairyland's quote but not so high that I wanted the hassle of switching companies. As to part-year coverage, if you get it you will be uncovered if you suddenly find yourself at home and the weather breaks and turns just perfect of a mid-winter ride. I prefer to stay covered year round so that I can at least dream about having a day in the winter that I can go out for a ride.

vito55 said:
and the weather breaks and turns just perfect of a mid-winter ride. I prefer to stay covered year round so that I can at least dream about having a day in the winter that I can go out for a ride.

My riding season is 11.5 months long, gotta love the south!

I have been using Markel for years. markelinsuresfun.com is the website I believe. They were the best when I began looking 14 years ago and have stuck with them. I pay them for a start up fee in the beginning of the year and drop the insurance at the end of riding season. Start it up again in the spring. They have no problem with that arrangement. Cost me around $150.00 a part time year or $300.00 for the full year and that is full coverage with high limits.

My wife and I have State Farm on ours. ('10 Softail Custom and '15 Softail Deluxe)  Cost's us about $200 each per year but thats because they are in addition to both cars, the RV, and the house being with State Farm also.

What makes a big difference in cost is home location and where you park it. They would charge a lot more if the bikes had to sit outside in a driveway in a large metro area.

I've got Allstate and have no complaints, they do have reduction while it's stored, which I don't use since I ride almost all year. I tried the others and they weren't even close when I bought my 2010 Electra Glide, turned out to be about $50 more than what I was paying Progressive on my old 95 Electra Glide. Progressive and Geico wanted $200/ year more on the 2010, Flo and that lizard must be high maintenance ;). I had Dairyland on my 95 when I first got it in 02 and in 04 they jacked my rate $150/year. When I called to ask them why they said they were under charging me previously. When I asked them how is that my fault they screwed up, there was no straight answer other than like it or lump it. I lumped it. Clean driving record, no claims and have been riding legally since 72.

We are with Nationwide which also has our house our RV our Jeep, dirt toys and our 2016 Harley CVO Road Glide Ultra. Our Harley cost $346.00 a year but we did a lot of work on it and it is insured for $52,000.00 I think that is a fair price for the coverage. Different states cost more or less depending where you are. When we lived in TX. insurance was pretty spendy.

04fxsts said:
  Have you looked into Harley Davidson Insurance? 

That is who I have now Jim.  When I called them and inquired why the insurance was going up the answer was "our cost of doing business in Ca went up, so we raised rates".  Translation is too many claims in Ca, so I got pay for it. 

A few other interesting things I learned while calling around. When I called Farmers for a quote, the guy that answered the phone stated "Foremost Insurance". I asked why and he replied that many insurers farm out their "high risk" business to another company.  Foremost also underwrites for AARP insurance as well.

A separate search on line with Nationwide returned that in my zip code (Ca) there were not currently writing MC policies.  It's all about balancing risk and exposure for the company. Where the vehicle is garaged makes a big difference on your rates.

My wife and I switched to Geico many years ago and I've been impressed with their service on the couple of times we needed to file a claim.  As far as getting a company to realize that you don't ride all year I'm afraid that you'd have to have the bike registered in a different state.  I'm registered in Wyoming for example where anybody knows that you can't ride year round, except I escape to Texas or Arizona in the winter and continue to ride.  It's a trade-off though as my car insurance costs more because you're either going to eventually put it in the ditch in the winter or smack Bambi with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom