Need opinions! Looking for a TT - family of 5 w/ 1/2 ton tow veh.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tybombero

Sorry, I'm new and trying to learn and read as much as possible before starting new (probably redudant topics) :-[

I'm in the market for a TT and just want some general advice and opinions as far as what to look for.

We are a family of 5 with a 1/2 ton suburban (Gross towing cap of 7100)

We would like something used, under $10k probably around 25ft.

Any brands/models recommendations? or how about where to look other than craigslist?

Also, what other expenses should I anticipate on top of the trailer price?

Thanks all

Welcome aboard.

In the 25 feet range, you will find that most (not all) trailers are within your towing capacity of 7100lbs.

If you buy from a dealer, one thing you should know is that you should ignore the dry weight and go by the gross weight of the trailer (GVWR), that's the maximum the trailer can handle (trailer + gear).  With a family of 5, you will have lots of stuff, so the dry weight is meaningless because you will only drive it dry once and it's the day you buy it.  A GVWR around 6000lbs will give you a safety margin too, don't want to push the limits too  when traveling with the family.

I would advise you go look at various dealers in your area and look at new and used trailer in your size/weight range, just to get yourself familiar with the various type of floor plans so you can see what you like and what you don't.  That will make it easier to choose a trailer later.

In the price range you are looking at, the brand does not make much of a difference, they are all similarly built in that price range and basically all come with the same appliances.  Make sure before you buy anything that the owner can demonstrate that each appliance works.

Marc...

I found my TT on RVT.com, helps you find dealers you might not know about. Also check out NADAGUIDES.COM to get a ballpark for pricing.

I am towing a 29' 2004 Prowler Lynx UltraLight with a 1997 K1500 Suburban. Don't buy a trailer close to your towing capacity, try and stay well under it to be safe.
Depending on sizes will depend on beds. We got a bunkhouse for my 2 boys and my DW and I have the queen up front. It also has a couch that turns into a bed and the dinette is a bed also, so it sleeps 8, but the dinette would be ok for kids, not adults.

Start by looking at the weight, then the floorplan. Don't forget, all of the passengers/gear/food/water/etc do add up.

If you shop around, you'll find what you want. I paid $7000, all my wife did was clean it up, and not much at that! That included trailer, hitch, antisway, new battery, & 2 full tanks of propane.

Additional expenses?? Lots of little do-dads, but those you get as needed/discover you need.
Brake controller & receiver if you don't have them
Weight distribution hitch
Anti-sway control
water hose
sewer hose

Hope this helps some, I just went through this buying ours in April.

Theres a lot of wholesale deals on ebay, new might be a close call if your limited to 10k, this trailer was on ebay recently, http://www.lakeshore-rv.com/cf/shopmast/productdetailp.cfm?productid=1649        Good luck!!

Stretch:

I live in Sacramento

Broncobilly:

Thanks for that post. That trailer is exactly what I'm looking for. 12,999 and that's for a new trailer? that seems pretty good. what about that brand? is it totaly cheap junk or something?

You live in Sacramento.  Unless you have no Tahoe, Reno, Eastern Sierra, Grand Canyon or Utah ambitions in your plans I would discount that tow rating 20% for the grades and altitudes you will encounter.  Gas engines lose 3% of their rated HP for every thousand feet over sea level.  At the 7000' summit of Donner Pass you will have lost 21% of your power.   

Look for trailers with a GVWR of 5680 lbs or less.  Westerners routinely tow all day at altitudes higher than the highest peaks in the east.  Being an Angeleno, I know of where I speak.

An RV dealer with a pretty good reputation in your area is Demartini RV Sales in Grass Valley.  Take a look:

http://www.demartinirv.com/

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the tips.

Let me tell you about I deal I worked out and will probably get this week.

I found a 2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26bh brand new. MSRP is like 22k. I hassled the dealer down to $16200 including all taxes, fees, and that's with them throwing in a weight distributing hitch and brake controller. the dry weight is 4800...i think the GVWR is like 6200.

I'm thinking it will work well if I don't overload it.

Sound like a good deal?

I think the first thing you need to do is load the family and all their stuff up in the burb and go to the scales.  That mystical 7100 will probably disappear in a big hurry.  The 1500 Suburban has never been known to have a lot of capacity.  Heck it is nearly over loaded just driving off the showroom floor.
Personally I think you are being very optimistic thinking about towing a 7000 pound trailer.  But your first priority must be a trip to the scales.

Back
Top Bottom