Need RV Size Musical Instrument

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim Dick said:
Bob,

I think more people would tolerate the trumpet rather than the bagpipes. ;D ;D ;D

I have a bagpipe chanter which is generally far more tolerable than the whole bagpipe. I've not learned it, but I understand that once you can play the chanter, transitioning to full pipes is fairly easy.

Farther on up, somebody asked about storing a dulcimer for prolonged periods. Extremes of humidity can adversely affect anything made of wood. Other than that, just loosen the strings a little bit.

Joel

Joel,

It certainly is true that moving from chanter to full bagpipes is much easier once you have mastered the chanter. As you probably know, the music is really played on the chanter. and the rest of the instrument is for accompaniment. The hardest part of the full pipes is getting your lip conditioned (helped greatly with chanter practice) and the lungs capable of filling the bag as needed. Getting the rhythm of breathing and filling is pretty easy with practice. Once you have all that you will be amazed at how easy it is to play the Great Highland Bagpipe!!

I hope you decide to learn how to play. Once you do you will find it very rewarding. I still carry a practice chanter in the coach. Finally took the pipes off last year after having carried them for 11 years and only practice a couple of times. i do miss it but I'm just not in one place long enough to join a band which is the very best way to learn!!

Jim Dick said:
... I'm just not in one place long enough to join a band which is the very best way to learn!!
Amen brother. That is the one thing that really bothers me about full timing, I want to be in a band again but it is impossible when I am living in a new town every week :eek:

Tom,

I spent about 20 years with an Irish Pipe Band, starting as a side(snare) drummer, moving to Tenor drummer, and then on to the pipes. I was struck by the beauty of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards' version of Amazing Grace. I only wanted to learn to play that tune.

After many months of practice with the band pipers I was asked by the Pipe Sergeant when I was going to play on the street. I said I wasn't ready but he disagreed. I finally did and our son took the tenor from me. It was probably one of the most rewarding accomplishments I have ever had and marching in parades was exhilarating. Of course, the good times after where really fun. ;D ;D

I doubt I will ever play with a band again but I still enjoy listening to them and reminisce of those good times. :)

Jim - I was in the orchestra and marching band in high school. One of the high points of my life. We marched in many parades and half times doing the formations and the whole 9 yards (pun intended). I played a tom tom with aluminum handle felt mallets and had a ball. Our band leader, Mr. Earl Jardine, wanted the drums as loud as possible so he had a standing offer of a chocolate malt to any drummer who broke a drum head while marching. Of course you aren't going to break a properly tuned plastic drum head with a felt mallet, but that didn't stop me from trying. I remember coming home with bleeding hands and having to wash the blood off the drum. The outfit was wool and weighed a ton. I remember marching in the Palm Springs Easter Parade and almost passing out from the heat.

Attachments

• Tom 1964-04.jpg
    Tom 1964-04.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 12
zzyzx said:
Jim - I was in the orchestra and marching band in high school. One of the high points of my life. We marched in many parades and half times doing the formations and the whole 9 yards (pun intended). I played a tom tom with aluminum handle felt mallets and had a ball. Our band leader, Mr. Earl Jardine, wanted the drums as loud as possible so he had a standing offer of a chocolate malt to any drummer who broke a drum head while marching. Of course you aren't going to break a properly tuned plastic drum head with a felt mallet, but that didn't stop me from trying. I remember coming home with bleeding hands and having to wash the blood off the drum. The outfit was wool and weighed a ton. I remember marching in the Palm Springs Easter Parade and almost passing out from the heat. Of course we spent a lot of time playing "Wipe Out". ;D

Travel Banjo
Mandolin
Uke
Harmonica
Fiddle

Whatever you decide to try, purchase a quality instrument that's set up correctly.

Whatever instrument you choose, make sure that you purchase it because you want to play it, not because it saves room.  Acquaint yourself with the instruments that are on your list and choose accordingly.  Think ahead.  That harmonica will fit in your shirt pocket but will you have the wind and tongue/lip coordination to play it?  Are your fingers too big for a mandolin or uke?  Will you buy a guitar and three months later decide you don't like having to learn chords, or worse yet, you have no rhythm?  Does the dulcimer create a sound that soothes your soul and urges you to express yourself?  Just saying...choose that which moves you and you'll enjoy it more.  And when you have chosen, play it, play it, play it...

If you are interested in guitar, check out this one:
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/guitar/silent_guitar/

The top hoop dismounts making it small for storage. It comes in steel or electric string and has a built in amp for headphone use. It also has 2 levels of built in reverb, and an input for a CD player (for you to play along with) and an output to an amp. The sound is acoustic, even though you have to use battery or plug in for it to work. OTOH, you can practice finger exercises relatively silently, while watching tv, etc, especially on the nylon version. Finally, the playability is phenomenal. Very low action, very friendly neck and frets. Brian May uses one in some of his shows.

No connection with the product, except as a very happy user.

YMMV

Lee

inflt said:
If you are interested in guitar, check out this one:
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/guitar/silent_guitar/

I use the Silent Brass system for trumpet by Yamaha. One could hardly hear the sound from 5 feet away, whereas the sound in my headset is almost pure trumpet. Plus there is a lot of flexibility for recording and such with the control unit. They will range from $99. to $150. according where purchased. I paid $120. at a music store in Austin.

That Yamaha instrument, or its bugle equivalent, might have been a good gift for one of our local Delta characters. Hal Schell, who lived full time aboard his boat on the California Delta; He was well known for rising at dawn while anchored in some secluded (peaceful?) slough and playing Reveille on his bugle. Hal passed away in 2006, and nobody has stepped forward to take his place playing the bugle at the crack of dawn.

Yamaha 76 key synth.  Now if I could only lean to play it.  I keep it and the stand in a soft padded carrying case.  It's about 1/2 the size of my golf bag and much lighter.  Great way to unwind.   

While visiting the home of a fellow ukulele band member today, I was introduced to the charanga aka charango, a Peruvian instrument. It's about the size of a small-medium sized ukulele, but has a different shaped back and 10 strings. Tuning is like ukulele 'C' tuning, but with an extra 'E' (GCEAE). The middle two 'E' strings are tuned an octave apart.

The instrument is part of the lute family, so it has a brighter sound than a ukulele, and the extra strings give it a fuller sound.

This Wiki says that the back was originally made with the shell of an armadillo, giving it the unique shape. But it's now made from wood, retaining the original shape.

Here's a You Tube video of a Peruvian playing the charango and the zampona, a pan flute. Interesting mix of sounds, and an interesting strum on the charango.

Aye that's true Steve. I just don't have 10 fingers on my left hand  ;D

The pan flute might attract some complaints in a campground, but it sure adds to the eclectic style of South American music.

Tom said:
I just don't have 10 fingers on my left hand

Simple enough to play, at least if you have any experience with an 8 string uke or a mandolin...five pairs of strings, learning the chords and scales would probably be the hardest part I would think.

I would love to learn how to play a Sitar, but after researching it there's a let more to it than meets the eye, it's a hole 'nother can of worms, not to mention it would require more storage than your ordinary acoustic guitar.

Right Tom, I never could get the grasp of tuning the instrument.  The frets are movable and are tied to the instrument.  I'm amazed just to watch Ravi Shankar and his daughter play. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom