Need some suggestions for flushing the crud out of the fresh water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, you are living testimony that vinegar does work on RV water systems and you don't have to deal with the stench and toxicity of bleach.

I always have vinegar around. I use it to disinfect the kitchen, clean the toilet, windows, mirrors, floors, microwave, coffee maker and so on. If you just defrosted your fridge, clean up with vinegar on a microfiber cloth  to make the interior look new again.

My RV is never without vinegar around.

For quick window washing, use two microfiber cloths. One soaked in vinegar to wash the window and a second dry cloth to polish it dry.

In the laundry, I use vinegar in the rinse cycle to soften clothes, remove lint, prevent static cling. It also keeps the hard water crud out of my washer and hose lines.

Ever get new clothes or sheets that have leftover fabric treatment on them? Make them instantly soft by washing with a cup of vinegar in the wash and rinse cycle.

If you have colored clothes that are dulled from too much laundry soap, wash with some vinegar in the machine and watch the colors pop out again.

I had that issue and removed the tank. After getting it out I used a bleach solution and dumped a bunch of nuts and bolts in it and agitated  to knock the dark ring of crud. It took a surprising amount of turning it and tumbling the hardware to completely scrub it because of the irregular shape..  I just couldn't  live with seeing any trace of it. It had not been used in a month or so and I had used well water at times.  I'm also glad that we use a Berkey water filter.

I use an inline pre-filter for filling the tank and I own a Berkey water purifier.

Oh that thing does an amazing job!

I drink it, I make coffee and tea with it, make ice in the freezer, boil pasta and steam rice with it, plus the dog is addicted to it.

When I went with a friend to the Keys for 2 weeks, we loaded up my Berkey for the trip.

It's the best water purifier (and simplest!) ever made. Requires no plumbing or electricity, will clean river or lake water, what ever you throw in it except salt water.

I built mine in under the sink with bungee cords. I have a retractable faucet, so it's pretty easy for me to top it off every time I drain it into my water carafes. It fit better with the door off, but since it was as wide as the door and it's top notch stainless steel, it looks pretty impressive there.

Berkey water purifiers:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=berkey+water+system&sprefix=berkey+water+,aps,160&crid=21HUSO00RRJZN&rh=i:aps,k:berkey+water+system

Attachments

• Berkey water purifier.jpg
    Berkey water purifier.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 11
A possible guess for why it was only in the freshwater tank is that it was probably algae that requires light in order to grow. The FW tank is translucent and allows light in.

BTW DearMissMermai - thanks for the tip on the filter. It looks impressive. I will likely get one.

Last edited:
A possible guess for why it was only in the freshwater tank is that it was probably algae that requires light in order to grow. The FW tank is translucent and allows light in.

BTW DearMissMermai - thanks for the tip on the filter. It looks impressive. I will likely get one.
This is a real old most and Miss Mermaid has since passed

It's "new to you", i.e. a topic you haven't yet viewed. When you first join the site, everything ever posted is "new". Click the "Mark posts read" button and "new" resets to the current date.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue2La
Back
Top Bottom