Need to know what kind of fuse to use 1994 Winnebago Brave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willinatorcan

Well apparently the sticker in my fuse box already answers this question. Curious is a Littel 247 fuse the only one I can use as stated? Or was this simply a way for this company to try and sell more fuses? If not does anyone know where I can get this miraculous fuse? Any help would be appreciated! Very new to this world and certainly it's had its challenges. When discovering this sticker it was not welcomed to say the least!

Attachments

• IMG20231025151539.jpg
    IMG20231025151539.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 9
It basically means use these standard size automotive plastic frame fuses, which were just starting to get popular in place of glass fuses in cars when this coach was built. Today there are also the micro, mini, and mega styles of these plastic frame fuses. Littelfuse with the company that invented them you can still buy the brand name fuses, here they are on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Littelfuse-00940400Z-Blade-Super-Value/dp/B000BOAQUE/

p.s. a little online searching show that the type 257 ATO size fuse was rated for up to 24VDC, and they have been replaced by the 287 ATO size fuse which is rated up to 32VDC

Last edited:
It basically means use these standard size automotive plastic frame fuses, which were just starting to get popular in place of glass fuses in cars when this coach was built. Today there are also the micro, mini, and mega styles of these plastic frame fuses. Littlefuse with the company that invented them
Awesome! So basically the ones you buy at Walmart should be fine? And can I use the micro fuses?

Micros an minis will not fit, they have smaller pins that are closer together, you need an ATO /ATC size fuse (ATC is the fully enclosed version, ATO is what you have here,but ATC is more weather proof)

Any ATC that fits will conduct fine. It's the fault spec that is variable, and opening at a known current and time is why you see a named fuse spec'd. Kinda nerdy, but this video demonstrates what the difference is between a no name and a branded fuse.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Go to an auto parts place or Wal-mart, and buy the Littelfuse brand, or buy the Eaton Bussmann brand (ATO or ATC). Readily available. For the RV panel buy 5 packs of the sizes you have, mostly 15 amp. Keep one spare set of the 30's (or 40's) for the converter. Hook up the battery backwards for a split second and you will need them.

I bought a kit for my RAM truck that is specific to them, with micro and a large block type fuse, sizes common to those trucks. It think it was Bussmann.

Charles

This is also an excellent video justifying the name brand fuses.

Last edited:
The OP's fuse panel tells me he has an extremely old Parallax/Magnetek panel and converter. You might consider upgrading the converter and fuse panel to a Progressive Dynamics 4600 series converter, that will not cook your batteries if left plugged in.

Charles

Attachments

• Parallax panel with progressive converter.jpg
    Parallax panel with progressive converter.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 3
The OP's fuse panel tells me he has an extremely old Parallax/Magnetek panel and converter. You might consider upgrading the converter and fuse panel to a Progressive Dynamics 4600 series converter, that will not cook your batteries if left plugged in.

Charles
I just got done doing this conversion for a friends new (old)(really old)) RV. The old converter/ charger wiped out 2ea. <2 year old batteries. Post install, she gifted herself with 2 new AGM’s since they now won’t melt

Last edited:
When our Horizon was brand new the Dimensions inverter/charger cooked the house batteries so out it went and replaced with a Xantrex RS2000. I would have replaced the DImensions in any case because I wanted a pure sine wave inverter. So cooked batteries was more of an incentive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom