Need to Replace Slide-out Awning...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCOOT1313

The awning for the slide-out on my '99 Jayco fiver has seen better days and I would like to replace it before heading to Oshkosh, WI for EAA Airventure 2008. 
Does anyone know how to attain a replacement awning ?  My slide-out is appx. 13'x3' ...  Is this an easy fix that I can do myself ?  Any and all advice is greatly appreciated !

Thanks !

Scott

What I would do is take it to my friendly RV shop. They could probably use the business these days anyhow.

I can only assume from your post that you would welcome the prospect of  replacing the awning yourself.  I've  just gone through the same process.  I ordered the fabric on-line and completed the project for $154.  A 13' slide topper.  Do some searching on providers and installers, and if you are interested, I'll give you the leads and details on my experience.  lou

I had to resew all the seams on my Carefree slide awnings. Livingston valley daily winds did them in. I down loaded instructions on line from Carefree of Colorado and had no problems.Cost me 45 bucks for the sewing. With most shop rates nearing $100 I would give it a try.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
I'm going to do it myself...after some examination it doesn't look too difficult.  The old awning is frayed on the edges pretty bad and hs several holes and rips in it.  Where would be the best/cheapest place to attain new awning material ?  I looked on Ebay a few weeks ago and there was plenty...now that I am actually going to get a new one, there are none on ebay in the size/colour I need...LoL

Thanks again !

Scott

Scott, This is the place I used.  Click Here  I'm not saying they are the best, but they at least took my order and promptly shipped the product.  I'm satisfied.

I attempted to order direct from A&E but they dropped the ball twice on callbacks and faxing me their form.  I never really got a final price from them but have heard from others that they are not the cheapest around.  My price from this link was better than $100 cheaper than CW and is touted to be heavier fabric. 

Just a tip for installation;  when you measure the old fabric, use a magic marker to make a small mark on both the tube and the track on the MH side where the current fabric contacts each.  This will aid in positioning the new fabric to properly cover the slide.

If you don't know your topper model number (for A&E awnings) remove the old fabric and you will see it on a decal on either the left or right end of the tube.  Mine was on the left end.  Hope this is of some help.  lou

I did mine few weeks ago. Vary easy. Didn't take roller off, just unrolled roller out. Put screwdriver in roller to keep it from rolling back and pulled old awning off and slid new one in. My advice, have 2 people atleast. A person on top of rig helps a lot.

Back
Top Bottom