New and need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S. The OP had the Winnebago.
You most likely have WFCO junk. It too would benefit from a Progressive Dynamics converter. The make them to replace the WFCO converters also.

My trailer came with a Parallax panel but some previous owner had replaced the converter with a WFCO deck mount converter (WF9845). While WFCO claims it is a "multi-stage" I was never able to make it change stages, no matter the charge state of the battery, and I replaced it with the Progressive Dynamics 4645, which steps up and down in voltage as it is supposed to.

Charles

You most likely have WFCO junk. It too would benefit from a Progressive Dynamics converter. The make them to replace the WFCO converters also.

My trailer came with a Parallax panel but some previous owner had replaced the converter with a WFCO deck mount converter (WF9845). While WFCO claims it is a "multi-stage" I was never able to make it change stages, no matter the charge state of the battery, and I replaced it with the Progressive Dynamics 4645, which steps up and down in voltage as it is supposed to.

Charles
I appreciate this info. I went from boat owner (which I know a lot about) to camper owner in February so I'm a newbie. Yes, it is WFCO. We ordered the exact one to replace it just because we have a trip coming up and didn't want to waste time shopping around. I'll consider the WFCO replacement a temporary repair until I have time to.

The Progressive units also have a manual control that allows you to force it into any given mode. Thus if the batteries are somewhat low and you want to take advantage of limited generator hours, you can force it into bulk charge mode using a button that cycles it thru the stages. THIS web page explains it.

Normally the model 4600 series comes in a metal housing, and also comes with a fuse panel that fits the Parallax power centers. You can do one of two things, 1) order the
PD4645WV45 Amp Replacement Converter Section. With built in Charge Wizard.WFCO™ #8945 only. Does not come with metal box.
If you can find one, or 2) purchase the easily found and priced nearly the same, 4645 with the metal housing and fuse board and DISARD the metal housing after removing the converter. It comes with a plastic retaining bar to install the converter in a WFCO power center and the instructions flat out tell you to discard the unused part. Sounds stupid but price it both ways first. The new DC fuse panel is designed to fit either the Parallax/Magnetek or the WFCO 8935/45/55 power center. The new DC fuse panel also has 12v DC blown fuse indicators in addition to the button for changing modes of the charge wizard.

I keep writing 4645 but you may have a 35 or 55 amp converter so the model number is dependent on what you have. Most likely a 45 however.

However.......... If you plan to keep the trailer and convert it to Lithium, keep your WFCO converter until you do the conversion. At that time you can decide what converter to buy, as Progressive makes Lithium only converters also.

Charles

I appreciate this info. I went from boat owner (which I know a lot about) to camper owner in February so I'm a newbie. Yes, it is WFCO. We ordered the exact one to replace it just because we have a trip coming up and didn't want to waste time shopping around. I'll consider the WFCO replacement a temporary repair until I have time to.
Lots of us here are former boaters, we lived on our 40' ketch (and cruised the Caribbean for over a year) for over six years. Fortunately some boat experience crosses over to RVs - dealing with 12V.

I was going to recommend what Charles mentioned but I figured you made your choice of replacements. You are making the right move considering the WFCO only temporary, throw it away at your first opportunity.

I just installed one of these as a drop-in for a friend into an old WFCO chassis, along with two boiled out GP24’s that were only a year old with new AGM’s. The install mechanics are reasonably simple, and the new 4-stage charger will save the AGM batteries from certain death from the WFCO junk. As an “RV warming” present I also bought her amazingly accurate SOC meter off eBay. All she does is look at the percentage of charge on the AGM’s and has more information than any RV panel voltmeter. Because it’s a true 4-stage charger she can leave it plugged in if she wants without cooking things.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom