NEW Battery motorhome still doesnt start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToneboneRv

Hey community ⭐
I seem to be having troubles with my MH and i need to get her running soon. When i try to start my RV nothing happens. Doesnt even sound like its trying to fire up. Last week when i attempted to start it, it at least gave me a tick or a cranking sound but now the lights just come on and it wont start. I just replaced the battery because the last one was bad, i thought that would have solved the problem but after hooking up the new one still nothing. I will be trying to clean the cables today but are there any other suggestions? On what to do next?

Near impossible to help without better understanding of motor, year etc. Lights, but no action with turning the key, maybe starter solenoid, starter, cables, especially the ground. Try the easy stuff, maybe a mobile mechanic could help you.

Near impossible to help without better understanding of motor, year etc. Lights, but no action with turning the key, maybe starter solenoid, starter, cables, especially the ground. Try the easy stuff, maybe a mobile mechanic could help you.
Hey i have a 1989 winnebago chieftain p30

You can get a chassis wiring diagram from Winnebago:

Wiring Diagrams

First thing I'd try (cause it's quick and easy) is swapping the A/C or fuel pump relay with the start relay. Just looking around on a sample schematic there isn't that much between the battery and starter that can cause issues. Would be a basic exercise to trace through and see where the power is dying or assembly isn't functioning.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Pull all spark plugs and spin it freely until you get oil pressure,, ( you did check for oil didn't you.) then replace plugs and try again..>>>Dan

How would he spin it anyway, with the starter not turning?
It might, if the reason it's not cranking is low voltage to the starter. Relieving the compression makes it a lot easier for the starter to crank.

But that's not the first thing I would try either, and getting at all the spark plus on a 454 engine in a motorhome is not exactly easy. And I don't think low oil pressure will inhibit starting either.

For me anyway I need some clarification. Is the engine turning over with the starter but it just doesn’t start or is there no life at all when you turn the key to start? Makes a big difference what is happening. We need to know before anymore advice is given.

From Fridays post:
I attempted to start her again this morning pulling from the house battery as well that didnt help still the same “thunk” noise and i just decided to take the battery to autozone.
Just a added note , the engine does not turn at all it just makes that noise and the. The dashboard lights go dim because it wont start

It could be...
leaked antifreeze into a cylinder (hydraulic lock)
broken engine (seized / broken part)
starter dead spot or failed (solenoid still picking up?)

I would remove the starter and jumper it to test, a pain, but not that hard to remove. And then you can bar the engine (I hope) from the starter hole to see if it moves.

I just replaced the battery because the last one was bad, i thought that would have solved the problem but after hooking up the new one still nothing. I will be trying to clean the cables today but are there any other suggestions? On what to do next?
Ok so it is acting like it did before. What is the battery voltage? It should be 12.7 volt. Are you hooked up to shore power? When you clean the connections clean the ground at the battery and the frame. Same with the positive side check all the connections all the way to the starter. Next when you try to start it I would jump it with something to make shure you have enough amps. If it doesn't start/crank then test/ replace the starter solenoid.
Bill

For me anyway I need some clarification. Is the engine turning over with the starter but it just doesn’t start or is there no life at all when you turn the key to start? Makes a big difference what is happening. We need to know before anymore advice is given.
Im not hearing the engine turn with the starter at all. No life but the lights and horn etc works on key on position

Hopefully, you can use a VOM to test whether the Solenoid has power on its primary lead. Here is a pic of the Solenoid
GM Solenoid terminal end.
Check voltage to the Main Battery Cable, and then check the voltage at the S terminal while someone turns the starter key. Be careful not to touch both connection at the same time while doing this.
Make sure all body parts are clear of the vehicle and any electrical connectors, or moving parts.
You may want to remove the starter and solenoid assembly and test it on a workbench, if you can. And, you may want to take the assembly to a Parts shop and ask them to test it.

This post assumes a certain amount of technical understanding, and if you're not comfortable doing any of it, don't take chances with doing it yourself.

Follow up to last post.
If you have 12 volts at the "main battery cable post" of the Solenoid, and you have voltage at the S terminal when the key is turned, You may have a broken of loose connection which prevents the solenoid from engaging the starter motor when the key is turned.
Then comes the fun part: tracing the wires to find where it might be broken of loose. If you're lucky that problem is up under the dash somewhere.

Frankly if you have got this far and you are under a time limit, it may be time to get it towed to where you can get the work done without a deadline.

If it's not trying to turn over Then the problem is eithe electrical or the starter motor.. the lack of any sound (no Click No Clunk) suggest electrical

Suspects are every connection and cable double down on the battery cables BOTH ENDS.
Does the dash "Come alive" or light up? Does the dash radio work when set to MAIN as a power source (Some offer a choice)
Now a sharp click or snap but no clunk indicates the starter pilot relay (happened to me I fixed) This is repariable in most cases

A CLUNK is the starter solenoid but you are not hearing that.
There may be a fuse in the pilot relay circuit (not sure)

Take a picture of all the attached wiring on the starter so you'll know how it goes back together. Removing the starter just requires removing a couple bolts and the electric connections. Take it to Autozone or any car parts place that will test the starter/solenoid for you. Some of the people working the counter may be able to offer you advice also.

I'll ask the stupid question, no offense. How long have you had this unit? Are you new to RVs and just joined the forum? Which battery did you replace and where was it located in the RV?

i have a 1989 winnebago chieftain p30
No life but the lights and horn etc works on key on position
With the P30 the starter is easy to access from under the coach so I'd try removing it and then use jumper cables from the battery to the starter terminals to see if it will spin. Have you checked the voltage from the battery to see what it is and then again while trying to operate the starter? If you have not done so, download a copy of the Chassis Service Manual as it should help you figure things out.

After confirming main cable positive voltage is present at the starter, the starter can easily be jumped at the solenoid to determine if the problem is there or upstream.

Back
Top Bottom