New Boy Scout in the family

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
unclebuck123 said:
Just read this :

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/05/nation/la-na-scouts-list-online-20101205

One of the big problems is that the adults think they know how to do things that they were never professionally trained to do.  Letting kids slide down ropes from the side of a cliff or a tree without a safety harness and fall protection is child endangerment Yet it is done all the time. Why is this allowed?

Hit by lightning. Did not anyone check the weather and listen to the radio?

Heat stroke from hiking in 100 degree weather. This is crazy.

We were pushed too hard. I am thinking I am lucky to be alive.

As a former (are we ever truly "former"?) scout leader, I for one see most of these tragic accidents as a failure of the National leadership in restoring the requirement of mastering outdoor skills (Wood Badge) as leaders.  It has slowly become more like corporate sensitivity and communication training than what it used to be; mastering field craft.  The sad truth is that many of today's adults lack the skills and, most importantly, the experience to teach and lead scouts in the field.  Whether it is excursions into the backcountry or in a local state park, enthusiasm is no substitute for real-world training and experience.  I'm not trying to rain on the OP's parade, only commenting on personal observations and a concern for the future of scouting.

unclebuck123 said:
Just read this :

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/05/nation/la-na-scouts-list-online-20101205

One of the big problems is that the adults think they know how to do things that they were never professionally trained to do.  Letting kids slide down ropes from the side of a cliff or a tree without a safety harness and fall protection is child endangerment Yet it is done all the time. Why is this allowed?

Hit by lightning. Did not anyone check the weather and listen to the radio?

Heat stroke from hiking in 100 degree weather. This is crazy.

We were pushed too hard. I am thinking I am lucky to be alive.

Thank you for the link. Clearly 32 deaths in unexceptable. Reading that, I'm assuming that the numbers are only for the USA. In the UK untrained leaders for an activity does not happen anybody found doing it would instantly loose their warrent. If the appropriate Leader is unavailable then the activity does not happen. Scout rules are very clear, if you hear of this going on then it is your responsibilty to kick up a stink.

Tom said:
Too easy. Robert Baden-Powell.

Yes it was easy, but toooooooooooooooooooooooo many so called Scout would not know that. Anyway I smell cheating in here somewhere. Correct me and if I'm wrong, then I'm sorry in advance, but I think you originated from the UK, in which case it would have been a discrace if you had not known. I should have banned you at the beginning.    :p

No cheating boyo but, yes, originally from the UK. We were taught the beginnings of the Scouting movement when we joined the Cubs, and I assumed everyone who joined the movement were.

Just got back on or would have responded with Robert Baden-Powel. I leard that in Cub Scouts, Pack 9(?) in Lakewood Co in 1950. The comment about the leaders being required to master outdoor skills. I remember watch leaders, experienced and new working on the Wood Badge building a bridge in a meadow. We were working on outdoor cooking. CO had a lot of pine trees. :)

Congrats to the original poster and his son. Scouting (for Boys and Girls) is a load of fun and I sometimes wish I was still more involved in it. At some time in the '90s my youngest got involved in Cubs and of course I went along. It wasn't long before I was invested with a Leader's uniform and starting to learn all about it. By the mid 90s I was fully invested Leader with my Wood Beads and deep appreciation for B-P and the Patrol Method.
I just loved wood craft and knotting. As part of our Wood Beads course we had to create several structures using just logs and rope. Being smaller than most I often ended up right at the top tying off the last of the poles LOL

Yesterday I was talking with a Girl Guide leader - for those in the USA think Girl Scouts - and we shared good stories of the times when the Patrol Method has come through for us and helped change a child's life for the better. It is now over 100 year ago since first documented by B-P but the Method still works today, and that works across the globe.

Any old Scouters out there, you are welcome to join me in the Brownsea Island Patrol open to Scout and Guide leaders from any country. It is an unofficial and irregular mailing list but along the way there have been international online chats and overseas Troop visits and it is still going strong. For those who can remember, it grew out of the demise of the old and much missed Scouting Forum on CompuServe. <sigh>

Attachments

• brownsea_island_patrol.gif
    brownsea_island_patrol.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 4
Congratulations to the new Scout.  My son is an Eagle Scout.  He is the 3rd generation in scouting. Scouting teaches a lot of things that boys don't get in school or in a church group. I kind of envy you.  It was a lot of fun. 

I too would have answered R Baden Powell.  No looking, just knowing.  I enjoyed Scouts, but our troop really didn't have many activities, so lost interest, however my son's troop was great, and I bacame one of the leaders.  We had many Eagles! 

Have fun with it, stay involved with the troop. 

Doug, I am just getting caught up on notes, so just read about your son.

Congratulations to him!! Girl Scouts was a major part of my childhood. My dad died when I was 14, and I believe scouting was one of thee few anchors I had in my life. It is a good thing. At my age, and I am old enough to remember a lot of life, I can still remember the "flying" up ceremony when I got my girl scout wings.

So yay for your boy, and for you!

BernerGran

Thanks everyone. So far he has been to a few troop meetings with his new troop and is having a good time with them. They are camping this weekend and he is going on Saturday for the day. Then Sunday he is swimming in the GVSL Championships.

Back
Top Bottom