New brakes for 5th wheel have a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

Hi
It's time for new brakes along with repacking the bearings.
I will replace the self adjusting brakes with the same.

What is the best way to reconnect the brake wires?
Thanks

Hi
It's time for new brakes along with repacking the bearings.
I will replace the self adjusting brakes with the same.

What is the best way to reconnect the brake wires?
Thanks
Why do you need to disconnect any wires?

Why do you need to disconnect any wires?
Maybe needing to remove the hubs to repack the bearings? But I would think that situation was taken into account when they assembled everything and the brake wires just plug and unplug.

Maybe needing to remove the hubs to repack the bearings? But I would think that situation was taken into account when they assembled everything and the brake wires just plug and unplug.
If your brakes are the typical style of brakes, the wires have nothing to do with hubs or brake drums. The wires send power to the magnets. Now unless the magnets need to be replaced, the wires do not need to be disconnected

If your brakes are the typical style of brakes, the wires have nothing to do with hubs or brake drums. The wires send power to the magnets. Now unless the magnets need to be replaced, the wires do not need to be disconnected
I'll take your word for it. I've never messed with electric brake connections.

I should of mentioned I'm going to replace the entire assembly.

Attachments

• 23-469.jpg
    23-469.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 5
I should of mentioned I'm going to replace the entire assembly.
Then I'm not sure what the question is. However they are connected now, use the same method of reconnecting them taking into consideration that they are is a wet, muddy, filthy location.

Reactions: SMR
I should have mentioned I'm going to replace the entire assembly.
Well that changes everything seeing you are replacing the magnets. We should have been told that at the beginning.

Have you ever replaced brakes before? If not, take apart one assembly and leave the brakes on the wheel next to it for a reference when reinstallstion

Last edited:
Then I'm not sure what the question is. However they are connected now, use the same method of reconnecting them taking into consideration that they are is a wet, muddy, filthy location.
What's the best connector to use to keep all the above out.
Guess I'm still a little tired from last night.....

When I bought my trailer I called Dexter about replacement brake shoes. They told me they could sell me just the shoes, but they advised that I replace the entire backing plate since it comes with all new hardware and magnets. The price difference was was about double, but having everything new made more sense.
As far as reconnecting the wires, waterproof wire nuts are probably better than the crimp-on or push-on or lever style connectors. I've used them before on tail light wires and the wires on my 7 pin connector without problems. I put a piece of heat shrink tubing over the wire nut and wires, then tied them together with zip ties.

I was told the same thing about replacing the entire assembly, read about it in the forum too.
I'm going to order all the parts next week so I want to know everything I need. I hate going on a parts run in the middle of a project. Lol
There sure are a lot of brake suppliers out there, I will probably spend the extra $ and go with Dexter Axle products.
Thanks for all the info and video link

If you think your brakes aren't working right and don't know why, replacing everything makes some sense. But if the problem is simply worn or greasy brake shoes, new shoes is all you need and spending 2x dollars is a waste.

A common problem with electric brake performance is poor quality wire connections or even insufficient sized trailer brake wiring. In that case, replacing the brake assembly doesn't change anything.

While not advocating for the whole brake replacement, there are some good reasons for going that route. Many people don't have the tools to remove and install the springs and the shoe hold downs. The other problem is the two shoes are not the same and many people get them wrong. Having all of this pre-assembled eliminates these problems. The brake assemblies will have stickers on them to show which are left side and which are right side assemblies.

Charles

They are performing correctly. Since they are original I'm thinking it might be time to replace and want to be prepared when I start repacking the bearings.
I think you are being ultra-conservative but it's your trailer and your money. I would not expect 7-8 year old trailer brakes to need replacement unless they have been used long & hard, so I would not buy expensive components before checking their condition.

As Charles says, if the shoes are worn or contaminated somehow, replacing the whole assembly is a convenient way for an amateur mechanic to do the job and get it right. I hope you won't be insulted but your questions make your "amateur mechanic" status seem obvious.

I would use a good quality heat shrink butt connector to connect the wires. If they are applied properly they will last as long as the brakes.

Well that changes everything seeing you are replacing the magnets. We should have been told that at the beginning.

Have you ever replaced brakes before? If not, take apart one assembly and leave the brakes on the wheel next to it for a reference when reinstallstion
He Is replacing the entire backing-plate with the brakes already assembled. The procedure is, jack up trailer, remove wheel, then by removing 4 bolts and disconnecting magnet wiring, remove backing plate. Then reverse the aforementioned procedure.
That BTW is the least expensive and fastest way to replace electric brakes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom