New EPA rule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that the story is a bit misleading being as what the EPA but the restrictions on was not wood stoves, but outside wood boilers, that yes are used by quite a few rural homes for heat.

would the regs keep me from making my own??As long as I can get to a cuttin torch and a welding machine we can make almost anything or at least get it ready for scrapyard.

Well I didn't see my wood stove that I've had for 20 years on the list any where. Does that mean I have to cut mine up and scrap it? NOT!!

Though I agree with a restriction on smokey, smelly, polluting wood burning stoves, the article stated "production and sale".  I will assume mine in Grandfathered in.

Per the EPA web site:  Under Section 111 of the Clean Air Act. The draft revisions apply to new heaters ONLY and do not apply to existing wood stoves and other wood heaters installed in peoples homes.

mistere said:
Though I agree with a restriction on smokey, smelly, polluting wood burning stoves, the article stated "production and sale".  I will assume mine in Grandfathered in.
burning wood puts the same emissions in the air as wood rotting in the forest

Cant Wait said:
Well I didn't see my wood stove that I've had for 20 years on the list any where. Does that mean I have to cut mine up and scrap it? NOT!!

No, it does not mean or say that. It says you cannot trade the stove in.

Robert K said:

Technically, you are somewhat correct, but some wood stoves create far more particulates than rotting wood. I can see homes in my NY neighborhood where one man's heat source results in another guy's living amidst intolerable amounts of smoke. I don't see a problem in resolving the issue.

Robert K said:
Or wood burnt in forest fire because the forest were not cleaned up.  We use wood from areas that have dead wood and need to be cleared.  When the dead wood is cleared out undergrowth starts providing shelter and food for animals

OK so I scrap using my wood stove, then what do I have to heat with???? FOSSIL FUELS!!!!! and everyone's screaming about cutting use of them. To me it's more environmentally friendly to burn wood then fossil fuels. 

I will comment after all.. but on the thread, not the subject of the thread (I promised I would not comment on that and I won't)

Some lively and interesting posts in this thread, I'm glad I posted it,, Thanks folks  I will say I agree with some of what some folks are saying.. But considering the thread, that's kind of a non-comment... Unless I said which ones.  But the discussion is very good.

Cant Wait said:
OK so I scrap using my wood stove, then what do I have to heat with???? FOSSIL FUELS!!!!!

My NY home heats largely on careful construction practices. Keeping it at 64 F. took 32 gal. of propane during each month of Jan and Feb. There's not much special about it except 2 X 6 wall studs, Tyvek house wrap, plastic sheeting under the drywall only on the side of the prevailing wind (and the house is exposed to the wind), 1990s version of energy-efficient windows, insulation installed in areas normally left uninsulated, etc.

I've heard lots of people here in FL complaining about using hundreds of gallons of propane to heat their northern houses in comparison.

I took energy conservation seriously in the 1970s. I wanted to save my fossil fuels to move my RV south during winter.  ;)

whew good thing I heat with coal ;D  oh damn this gov. is going after that to :(

For the record, I supplement propane with wood while I'm actually in NY, but I'm at least a quarter mile from other houses... probably a mile if the wind is blowing the normal direction.

None of that negates the fact that wood (and coal) have environmental problems. My first wood stove came with a catalytic converter to ensure more-complete combustion. and was nearly smokeless. But, people had problems with the converters cracking and even melting. How they managed that, I can only guess--see below. My stove's converter was intact, uncracked and unmelted when I replaced the stove with one that was better looking. The new stove had no converter and was sold as a coal stove, "but we suppose you could burn wood if you want and we know people do that," wink, nudge. IOWs, a law was circumvented through a loophole.

What I think the issue people had causing the converters to melt and crack was that they did not do one very simple thing: They did not put a readily available thermometer on the stove pipe just above the exit from the stove so they could (not) monitor the temperature of the fire. Too cool and the converter would plug; too hot and it would self-destruct. Simple. Effective. For 15 years.

Ummmm........What? Wood for fuel is the most environmentally friendly fuel. It is naturally reoccurring and can be grown unlike oil, and natural gasses, etc. I wonder how much money utility and oil companies would lose if it was more socially acceptable to burn word for heat? I guess that's what lobbyist are for. How well stoves are made is a better concern. They can be made to recycle gasses that have not burned in the store until they are used making them more efficient, burn less wood, and produce more heat.

Now as far as air pollution goes, it's getting ridiculous. The US is not a big contender on air pollution on a global scale no matter what your news agency or politicians tell you. Of course most people don't put into consideration the effects of forest fires, field burns, volcanoes, and other natural ways for the planet to pollute itself. But hey, if one volcano puts out the equivalent of all the pollution in the US in one eruption it's still our fault. Other countries burn millions of metric tons of trash everyday, countries in the middle east burn crude oil as fuel for their power plants; and they don't use scrubbers in their stacks.

We complain because we can see smoke or smell a fire in someones home? But that's okay. We still have our big toys, vehicles, and commercial trucks that get 2-10 mpg. As long as we can't see our smell it, all is well.  ??? Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom