New from Washington state

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nomoretents

Hello Everyone,

We (My wife Missy, Daughter Kayla and myself)  have recently began to to look into getting our first RV.  Came across the site while looking for some information and just had to join.  Love the site, way more info than I can digest right off the bat.  So after some reading and discussion about what we wanted, what we needed and what we could afford we went out to a couple of the local RV lots to take a look.  After returning we realized that we had more questions and are still no closer than before we had left.  What she wants I don't think we can pull and what we can pull she thinks is to small.  So I figured I would ask here.

So I have a 2010 Tacoma crew cab 4x4 with factory tow package.  Max  tow weight 6500 lbs minus the 20% as I live in the NW leaves 5200lbs.  Now the 2 RVs that we found that she likes both had a gvwr of around 5800 lbs and 25ft in length.  So she says whats the gvwr?  I tell her that it is the most that this thing can weigh when it is fully loaded and ready to go camping.  So she says.  OH OK well its just the 3 of us we wont be fully loading it so will that be OK?  I say honestly I don't know I am not even sure how well our truck will handle 25 ft.

So is 5800 gvwr and 25 ft to much trailer to safely tow with my truck
and
Any opinions of Keystone passport ultra lite or R Vision trail sport trailers would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank You in advance for any replies.
Steve, Missy and Kayla

Nomoretents said:
Hello Everyone,

We (My wife Missy, Daughter Kayla and myself)  have recently began to to look into getting our first RV.  Came across the site while looking for some information and just had to join.  Love the site, way more info than I can digest right off the bat.  So after some reading and discussion about what we wanted, what we needed and what we could afford we went out to a couple of the local RV lots to take a look.  After returning we realized that we had more questions and are still no closer than before we had left.  What she wants I don't think we can pull and what we can pull she thinks is to small.  So I figured I would ask here.

So I have a 2010 Tacoma crew cab 4x4 with factory tow package.  Max  tow weight 6500 lbs minus the 20% as I live in the NW leaves 5200lbs.  Now the 2 RVs that we found that she likes both had a gvwr of around 5800 lbs and 25ft in length.  So she says whats the gvwr?  I tell her that it is the most that this thing can weigh when it is fully loaded and ready to go camping.  So she says.  OH OK well its just the 3 of us we wont be fully loading it so will that be OK?  I say honestly I don't know I am not even sure how well our truck will handle 25 ft.

So is 5800 gvwr and 25 ft to much trailer to safely tow with my truck
and
Any opinions of Keystone passport ultra lite or R Vision trail sport trailers would be greatly appreciated. 

Steve, Missy and Kayla

You will be fully loaded and no you can't tow it with that truck. Unloaded is one person and a bit of gas. You will have 3 people, gas, water, food and all your camping gear.

Hello ... We also live in Washington State (eastside) and got the Tundra instead of the Tacoma for just this reason.  (The Tundra has a much higher capacity for towing.)  That said, while we were shopping we heard some bad things about the R-Vision brand.  I was told that while the product was nice, the company has been in bankruptcy and folded on some warranty promises.  Not sure about the current situation, but I bet many people on this board would know more than I do about R-Vision.

We did find plenty of ultra-lights that we liked and went with a KZ Sportsmen mainly because we liked the dealership (Hayden, ID) and the Tundra can tow this 22 footer with ease.

Once you hear about a possible TT .. we found that Youtube of all places had videos made by dealerships that let you take a visual tour.

25 foot TTs seemed a bit close to the limits even for my Tundra so with a Tacoma you may need to compromise something.  One option would be the add a room deal that connects to your awning and basically gives you a canvas room on the door side of your TT.    We had one in England and it worked pretty good with my family of 3 kids and a wife.

Good luck!

Steve,

Everything you put in your RV has a weight factor.  Tell Missy to pick up the linens for one bed (sheets, pillows, and blankets) and one set of towels and put them on a scale.  She'll be surprised at how much "things" weigh.  Not only the day-to-day stuff, but all guys have to have tools for example.  Weigh a small tool box that you can't do without.  Then there are things like canned foods, cooking utensils, pots and pans, cleaning supplies, beverages, and Kayla's bicycle.  It all adds up, and very quickly in some cases.  We've known a couple of people who had great trailers but after one trip ditched their underpowered truck for an upgraded one with more pulling power.  Mountain driving especially requires good horsepower.  Ideally, you choose the trailer and then find a truck that can pull it, but you'll have to find a trailer that fits both your needs and the reality of your truck's power.  Of course, the reality is that most people's first RV is just that, first, and they'll trade that one in once they find out what they REALLY need and want after a few trips or a couple of years.  We RVers do like our toys!  ::)

ArdraF

Lacking actual weights you really must consider the trailers GVWR.  The problem is that for every pound above a base stripped truck with a 1/4 tank of fuel and a 150 pound driver you need to subtract from your towing capacity.  So for instance if your truck loaded ready to camp scales 5000 pounds and it's GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) is 12,000 pounds then the most you should be pulling is 12K minus 5K or 7,000 pounds.  Make sense?
First you need to load up the family and everything you would load in the truck for a camping trip and go to the scales.  Then look up the trucks GVWR AND GCWR numbers and do the math.
My daughter has the same basic truck in a 2000 model year and pulling a tent trailer with their loaded truck was all they wanted to have.

Nomoretents said:
Any opinions of  R Vision trail sport trailers would be greatly appreciated. 

Steve, Missy and Kayla

FYI

In March 5, 2009 the company filed for Chapter 11 bankrutpcy.[5]  On April 24, 2009 in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware, an attorney for Monaco said the company had signed an asset purchase agreement with Workhorse International Holding Co., a Navistar International subsidiary. Monaco's CEO was Kay Toolson. [6]  On June 23, 2009, Judge Kevin Carey agreed to the company?s request to convert its Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing to a Chapter 7 case so it could liquidate its remaining assets, seven pieces of real estate in Oregon, Indiana and Florida. The order converting the case to Chapter 7 was effective June 30. Monaco Coach Corporation sold its factories, inventory, brands and intellectual property to Navistar International Corp. earlier in June for $47 million. The RV resort properties in California, Nevada, Florida and Michigan were sold to various other buyers. Once the remaining assets are liquidated under Chapter 7, ?the entity ceases to exist,? and effectively spells the end of Monaco Coach Corporation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monaco_Coach_Corporation

I think you really need to load the family and everything you think you will have on board when going camping and go to the scales.  Don;t forget firewood and an ice chest.  Then look for the trucks GCWR number.  Subtract your scaled weight from the GCWR and that is how much trailer you can tow.  IMHO you really need to stick with a tent trailer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom