New Furnace smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary31

We purchased a new 2015 Carbon Toy Hauler in May and I have been burning the furnace on weekends to burn off the Furnace. I heard it was the powder coat and oils on the burner that needs to get off.
It is absolutely breath taking when it first lights and starts blowing, I have all the doors and windows open with fans running to exhaust the smell. It has gotten better but I have probably burned half a 30 lb tank of propane while doing this. We had purchased a used camper prior and did not deal with this, I cannot imagine going out for the first cold night and firing up this furnace and smoke alarms and the smell would be quite disappointing experience. How much longer do I need to endure this and why does the factory not do this for the consumer, any insight will be appreciated.

Something is badly wrong. It could be furnace exhaust fumes rather then "new" smell. If so, it is dangerous! Other possibilities are a dead critter in the ducts or burner housing, or maybe a piece of plastic or vinyl lying in the furnace box and melting.

The furnace circulates the air from the inside of the RV. At worst, it would pick up some dust from the ducts and toast it - that's what gives typical the slight smell at start-up after it hasn't been used for awhile. Any "normal" smell should dissipate in 30 seconds.

It could be a cracked or improperly installed heat exchanger,  in which case it is very dangerous. You really nee to get it back to the dealer and do NOT take no for an answer.

Be careful.
I'm a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning from a Duo therm propane heater in a 1984 RV trailer. This heater had a two piece heat exchanger with a thin gasket. The gasket must have burned out in in 3- 4 months. We used it a bit that first late spring and didn't refire the unit till that fall. It had that hot furnace smell which is normal for maybe 30 min.
Well I went to bed and about 6 hours later I woke up very dizzy and had a raw throat. Turned the heater off and went outside for  some fresh air. I was sick but managed to get hooked up and made it home where  the wife took me to emergency. The doctor said I had cm poisoning. I was weeks getting over it and back to normal activities.

I would take the trailer back to the dealer and let the techs take some cm reading and find out for sure if its safe.

Not normal, get it in to service at once.  Potentially dangerous.  We bought ours new....it smoked and smelled a bit for about 2 minutes, and has been fine since.  Yours should have done the same. 

Years ago, I bought a new trailer that had a burned smell coming from the furnace.  Turned out to be all the paperwork for the furnace was "installed" on top of the unit.  Came real close to starting a fire.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/carbon-monoxide/basics/symptoms/con-20025444 

Several years ago we had a friend who died as a result of CO2 poisoning. I suggest you have this checked immediately. 

With purchasing your new rig, the dealer charged you a PDI fee, a pre delivery INSPECTION charge. $600-$900 usually, they are supposed to check ALL appliances by running them in both propane and electric mode for an extended period of time to make sure they will REALLY work for you after you drive off the lot. Furnace, refer, HW tank, stove unit, microwave, tv, water pump......EVERYTHING! The burn in smell should be gone by then or most of it anyways. Sounds like they collected their fees and....well....collected their fees and missed the inspection part :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom