New Generator For The TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bttravel

Just wanted to make a comment on the generator I just got to make AC when the other stuff isn't available. Okay, dry camping or power failure. I've read through a lot of posts and discussions on generators and realize the Honda and Yamaha are probably the best, but just too much money for sporadic use. So, I purchased the Champion 3500/4000 RV/Camp ready model through Cabelas on sale. Free shipping to the store, check. Came with the wheel kit and cover. Installed wheel kit, oiled er up, gas, checked it over for loose fittings, bolts, etc., turned on the gas, few seconds for fuel and one pull, we're off and running. The big surprise was how quiet it was for a 6.5 hp open frame unit. I've had portable generators in the past for gigging lights, (3500), emergency lights, etc. and they all were......well LOUD. This unit was pleasantly on the quieter side. Not a Honda, but my brother and I could easily carry on a normal conversation standing right next to it. We set it about 30 ft away and with the garage door closed you could just barely hear it running. I think I'm going to like this rig. Our bedroom is in the front of the TT and the power cord is hooked up at the rear. That will work perfect. 2 year warranty and I can pick it up and set it in the back of the truck and it fits under the bed cover. For just a shade over $300 let there be lek-tricity. Will have to do follow-up after a good trial run this spring or summer. By the way spring, HURRY UP!  ;D

It would be interesting to know what the life expectancy for these units are. I think it should be manditory that the manufacturer list the expected running hours for these units. I am a contractor and have seen two in a row brand new Colemans that blew up with about 80 hrs run time. The home owner had bought one to supply electricity to frame their house. The first one blew up in just over two weeks of daily use. It was replaced by the dealer and the second one had sparks blowing out of the exhaust by two weeks again. I have Honda and Yamahas that I have owned for many years of continuous use and run like a charm. I am sure the manufacturers know how long the unit is expected to last. They should be made list this info so people can make an informed decision on price versus life expectancy. Nothing wrong with saving money if you dont plan on using it too often, but it is no deal if the product only lasts a short period of time . I guess this is the signs of the times. Everything is made cheap and not to last. This is the dollar store era I guess.

Most all generators have auto shut offs if they run low on oil. And yes the oil is checked daily. These were just cheap y2k specials that were built to self destruct in short order. Your average homeowner might take 20 years to put 80 hours on a generator if they ever do. A periodic power outage that you use it for four or five hours once a year doesnt add up to much hours. Start running them 10 or 12 hours a day and you will soon see why the Honda cost $3000 instead of $300. My point was that the mfg must know what the expected life hours of the unit is, they should list it. I guess no one would buy one  if they knew the truth. On the other hand if all you need is power once in a while, nothing wrong with saving money. Still say you would be better off buying a used honda or yamaha than a cheapy. jmho

My point was that the mfg must know what the expected life hours of the unit is, they should list it.

I doubt if the manufacturer knows the expected life of their cheap models, cause they probably don't care and don't invest a penny in finding that out. They just build them cheap and fast and don't spend any money on testing beyond the basics to make sure the components fit together and work (for awhile). As you say, for some buyers these cheap gensets will last years; for others they may be almost a throw-away, purchased for use in one project and not needed thereafter.

If you need a reliable genset for all-day, everyday use, spend the bucks for a quality unit.

great info,  we were looking at that model gen and wondered about the noise and all.    thanks for input.

bill & jodi

Back
Top Bottom