New Greenhorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

busyx3

Hello Everyone! I'm totally new to RV camping, as in the first time I stepped in one was yesterday (we've been tent campers), when we placed a deposit on one. Okay, so that may have been a HUGE mistake, but my husband was finally in a willing mood. We're waiting on our truck to be wired & hitched, so don't have possession yet.  I had been looking on-line for weeks (dreamed of one for years) so I had an idea of what we needed.  It's just a small (15 ft) travel trailer, nothing fancy,  that didn't dent our budget and hubby thought he could handle towing that size (and so can our truck).  Anyway, if anyone can give me ANY tips, from flushing the toilet to backing the thing up, it would be greatly appreciated. I've already got our first meal planned in the TT and my book bag ready.  Thanks for any help! 

Welcome! 

Have you visited the forum's library yet?  Lots of good info there.  What is your first meal going to be?

Everyone here is very helpful so on't be afraid to ask.

Welcome to the RV Forum and lots of fun adventures ahead!

Can you tell us what kind of toilet the trailer has?  Assuming it's a standard RV style, you flush with either a foot pedal or a lever like at home.  The main thing is to make sure there's enough water to help everything flush down through the hole.  RV toilets have a curved "flap" that opens and closes the hole when you flush.  If "stuff" gets caught while the flap is closing you need to clean around the crevice the flap fits into so debris doesn't harden in it.  When that happens water won't stay in the toilet bowl and then not-so-wonderful odors come up from the holding tank.  Some RVs have a hose attached near the toilet to assist in flushing it all down the hole.  Also make sure there's some water in the holding tank so that solids break apart instead of staying on the floor of the holding tank and not go down the hose to the sewer outlet.  You don't need to buy special (expensive) RV toilet paper but it's a good idea to get a brand that says Septic Safe because it should disintegrate faster.  We use Walmart's White Cloud two-ply tissue  It's not rocket science, but toilets and black tanks seem to appear in many RVing discussions!  ::) ;D

ArdraF

busyx3 said:
Hello Everyone! I'm totally new to RV camping, as in the first time I stepped in one was yesterday (we've been tent campers), when we placed a deposit on one. Okay, so that may have been a HUGE mistake, but my husband was finally in a willing mood. We're waiting on our truck to be wired & hitched, so don't have possession yet.  I had been looking on-line for weeks (dreamed of one for years) so I had an idea of what we needed.  It's just a small (15 ft) travel trailer, nothing fancy,  that didn't dent our budget and hubby thought he could handle towing that size (and so can our truck).  Anyway, if anyone can give me ANY tips, from flushing the toilet to backing the thing up, it would be greatly appreciated. I've already got our first meal planned in the TT and my book bag ready.  Thanks for any help!

Welcome aboard. Being a chef I am also wondering what you are planning for your 1st meal. We breathlessly await  :)

butchiiii said:
Welcome aboard. Being a chef I am also wondering what you are planning for your 1st meal. We breathlessly await  :)

Wow, I had no idea that meal comment would generate such interest!
PUHLEEZ, do not hold your breath! I've been told I'm a pretty good baker, but certainly nothing I do would impress a chef.  ;)

ArdraF said:
Welcome to the RV Forum and lots of fun adventures ahead!

Can you tell us what kind of toilet the trailer has?  Assuming it's a standard RV style, you flush with either a foot pedal or a lever like at home.  The main thing is to make sure there's enough water to help everything flush down through the hole.  RV toilets have a curved "flap" that opens and closes the hole when you flush.  If "stuff" gets caught while the flap is closing you need to clean around the crevice the flap fits into so debris doesn't harden in it.  When that happens water won't stay in the toilet bowl and then not-so-wonderful odors come up from the holding tank.  Some RVs have a hose attached near the toilet to assist in flushing it all down the hole.  Also make sure there's some water in the holding tank so that solids break apart instead of staying on the floor of the holding tank and not go down the hose to the sewer outlet.  You don't need to buy special (expensive) RV toilet paper but it's a good idea to get a brand that says Septic Safe because it should disintegrate faster.  We use Walmart's White Cloud two-ply tissue  It's not rocket science, but toilets and black tanks seem to appear in many RVing discussions!  ::) ;D

ArdraF

It has a foot pedal. I did not see a hose near the toilet.  Thanks for the advice about water in the holding tank.  The guy at the dealer told us what kind of toilet tissue we could use, and I noticed today at church that's the same brand.  Wondering if we could steal a few rolls from them and put extra money in the offering plate. :eek:  Just kidding, he did tell us we could get it at Wal-Mart.

Pugapooh said:
Welcome! 

Have you visited the forum's library yet?  Lots of good info there.  What is your first meal going to be?

Everyone here is very helpful so on't be afraid to ask.

I haven't visited the forum's library, but I will.  I've been busy reading everyone's questions in case anyone else has the same questions. Hopefully I'll learn most things the easy way, by reading!  My 1st meal won't be impressive, as I have very simple taste, but nothing, in my lowly little opinion beats a grilled burger with grilled mushrooms & bacon.  Hubby wants pasta salad with his, I'll throw in some grilled squash. 

Thanks for being helpful, I know I'll have some pretty dumb questions!

busyx3 said:
I haven't visited the forum's library, but I will.  I've been busy reading everyone's questions in case anyone else has the same questions. Hopefully I'll learn most things the easy way, by reading!  My 1st meal won't be impressive, as I have very simple taste, but nothing, in my lowly little opinion beats a grilled burger with grilled mushrooms & bacon.  Hubby wants pasta salad with his, I'll throw in some grilled squash. 

Thanks for being helpful, I know I'll have some pretty dumb questions!

I love it. The 1st meal I made in our new RV was grilled burgers :) great minds think alike  :))

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking1957
Back
Top Bottom