New guy from East Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick

Hi y'all,

Just found the forum, thought I would sign up and do a little research here about RVs. 

Name's Nick, 29 years old.  My wife is pregnant with #1.  I came to the realization that our vacations will no longer be the same (no more Alaskan cruises or other expensive getaways).  So I'm looking into eventually getting an RV for the family. 

Looking at not spending too much money.  Hopefully around 10K.  Possibly a used trailer or something like that.  We'll see...by the time my research is over I may have a totally different opinion about what I want.

Talk to y'all soon.

Nick 

Hi Nick & welcome to RV Forum. Feel free to ask questions and also look in our Library for information.

If you are looking for a trailer, you need to start out by thinking about what you will tow it with, becasue that will constrain what you can buy.

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the RV Forum and thanks for joining us.  Please look around, ask questions, check out the library, and join in on any of the ongoing discussions. 

Looking at not spending too much money.  Hopefully around 10K.  Possibly a used trailer or something like that.  We'll see...by the time my research is over I may have a totally different opinion about what I want.

A lot of what you get will depend on what you have for a tow vehicle.

The longer we looked the more we "needed" in an rv.  Good luck in your search, and welcome!

Currently driving a 2004 Nissan Titan (w/o tow package).  Tow cap is 9400lbs I believe.  I dont have the tow package on my truck, never really thought I would need it when I bought it.

The Titan is a good truck, but pay attention to that tow rating. Remember it is for a truck that is empty except for driver and fuel, so you have to decrease it to allow for passengers, gear, and even the weight of the trailer hitch itself. Anything and everything carried in/on the truck counts.

Find out what is in the tow package - it may include an extra large radiator or auxiliary cooling fans as well as the receiver for the hitch and trailer light/brake hook-up.  Might be worthwhile to add the equivalent of the factory package (this sort of stuff is available as aftermarket add-ons).

You will need a trailer brake controller too. The Tekonsha Prodigy is one of the best on the market and sells for around $100 or so.  Don't take whatever the Rv dealer or hitch shop throws in - specify what you want for both brake controller and hitch.  If a travel trailer, you will want a good weight distributing hitch such as the Reese Dual Cam or the Equalizer. If a fifth wheel, the choices are somewhat broader - there are many excellent fifth wheel hitches.

also check to see if you have a trans cooler . good luck in your research. my family got into camping the same way. My son was miserable in a hotel room ( and the dog never got to go with us). They both go crazy now when i've got the trailer hitched up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HillcountryHusker
Back
Top Bottom