New Holiday Rambler - nothing but problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you take it to Decatur, Indiana? I also have problems with my Holiday Rambler (Slides, Leaking, Stress Cracks on the Roof, etc.). decatur is the closest to my home of Holiday Ramblers 3 factories, and it's 800 miles away. Do you think it's worth the time and the trip?

I've read of numerous problems with the new HR coaches, but I'll bet that the Rev Group factory service center in Decatur, IN, could make it right.  They have the knowledge and readily available parts, and probably better motivation than most dealer shops.

From reading all the rants here and elsewhere about the quality control of new motorhomes, I doubt avoiding the REV group will provide much satisfaction. Until the customer demands a better product the builders are not likely to comply.

A comment was made on this thread several months ago about the wisdom of being able to fix items on your motorhome. This is good advice but the buyer buying a new motorhome would expect that not to be the case. The sad truth is buying new may actually require more maintenance than buying used.

I wonder is buying new is really as bad as it appears or do we only hear of the worst cases?  It would be odd for someone to post "I bought a new motor home and it worked fine."

KandT said:
I wonder is buying new is really as bad as it appears or do we only hear of the worst cases?  It would be odd for someone to post "I bought a new motor home and it worked fine."

Very true. With most things really.
The OP vented and never came back with an update.  I typically don't put much stock in reviews that don't have any kind of follow up.

Makes complete sense to be sure everything functions before taking possession.

KandT said:
We had a couple of issues and the dealer sorted them. Since then we have found another couple but will be covered under warranty nk problem.

That said some have real issues, but that seems to happen with used too.

We purchased our Vacationer XE in 2016 and it was in the dealer's shop for 128 out of our first 225 days of ownership.  It was delivered to us with entry doors misaligned, a smashed area in the backsplash, cabinet doors misaligned, rusted snaps on the curtains, shower stall leaking and water collecting on the large slideout roof (not on the bedroom roof).  In all the weeks it spent at the dealer, and with all the effort put into it, including rebuilding the slideout, they could not repair the unit satisfactorily.  We called REV Group Customer Relations and were asked to bring it to Decatur for warranty work.  Well, let me just warn you right here - the full hookups promised are nothing but an electrical outlet in a parking lot.  Other than that, it's not a bad facility, and there are lots of interesting things to see and do in the area.

However.  After rebuilding the slideout AGAIN, and repairing all the damage done by the first, incorrect rebuild, we STILL collect water on the slideout roof.  Yes, it IS covered by an awning.  Yes, it could be a/c drainage (most likely IS).  THE FACTORY REP is now telling me this is "normal."  Yes, I quote you, that is what he says.  And the resolution, as suggested by the FACTORY REP, is to put the motorhome in an unlevel position, with the slides out, and let the water drain, prior to retracting the slides.  Yes, contrary to the owner's manual. 

We have owned both a Kountry Star 5th wheel and an Arctic Fox travel trailer prior to this motorhome.  BOTH had large, flat topped slideouts.  NEITHER had a canopy over the slideout.  NEITHER ever collected water on the slideout roof, and we owned them for a total of 19 years, living in the 5th wheel fulltime for 7 of those years. 

We would like a refund, and I am happy to share our tale and documentation with anyone else that is experiencing any issue of this sort and wishes resolution.  I think our next letter will be to the Arbitration Board, as documented in the owner's manual. 

Oh, btw, YES, our original dealer is Alliance Coach, of Wildwood, FL, and when we questioned the owner about the flaws, he told us that as long as we consumers kept purchasing units at the rate we were, the manufacturers would keep producing "these pieces of crap."  (he also told us that his technicians were among the best trained in the country, yet they put our slideout back together improperly and left out critical pieces and shorted the plywood roof to boot)

And, yes, we took the factory tour while in Decatur.  I find it incredible that they are PROUD to manufacture such an intricate (but shoddy) product in only 2 days and 2 hours.  Personally, I would rather they took their time and turned out a product they could be proud of instead.

I bought 3 new RV's and two worked fine  ::)

2 Winnebagos = Good
1 Newmar = Horrible

So, it is possible to buy a brand new RV and have very few problems.  Wouldn't have needed the third one if the second one wasn't so bad.

Spring Creek said:
I bought 3 new RV's and two worked fine  ::)

2 Winnebagos = Good
1 Newmar = Horrible

So, it is possible to buy a brand new RV and have very few problems.  Wouldn't have needed the third one if the second one wasn't so bad.

While my Newmar has had few problems (a shade that wouldn't extend, a couple of other minor things), all handled by the dealer on the first return visit (they had it a week or so).

With all of these horror stories of coaches falling apart after you drive out of the dealership, I thought I would put in my story. We bought our first MH in July of this year. We spent probably a full year researching and knew what we wanted. We finally found the coach, a 2012 Monaco LaPalma. We just got home from a 4,000 mile trip around the US and had no problems. Not one. The coach drives like a dream, everything works except the stereo, it died on our last day. We are the third owner and we bought it from a private seller who only had it for a short time, but replaced everything that needed replacing. The original owner had meticulous records of everything they had done. It is in amazing shape. We are youngish retirees (late 50's) and plan on using this coach probably 8 months of the year.

I know we are in the minority and have been lucky so far. I am not so silly to think nothing will ever happen to us. But if the things that have happened to all of you, had happened to us, I don't think I would ever want to own a MH  again. I couldn't trust it. It makes me so sad to think that the people who are building these horrible coaches don't even bother to think of their customers, and the customers keep coming back to them. Are people that used to shoddy treatment? Or do they think they are powerless and don't want to rock the boat?  Personally, I love a little boat rocking, if it gets the job done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom