New member 84 cheiftain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

84beachbago

Hi everybody, I'm just starting a remodel of a 1984 Winnebago Cheiftain 27' that I saved from a trip to the dump. I took a big leap, sold our truck camper that we have been camping in on the beaches of Cape Cod for the past 7 years, and hopefully use the money to get this thing mobile and beach ready. We have seen this rig on the beach this past summer so it ran up until recently. The Fuel system needs replacing and it was full of mice so I am also gutting the inside. I'm a builder so hopefully I can get the interior done with a combination of leftover job materials and a few upgrades. I plan on keeping the layout roughly the same.

A few alterations I'm considering are
- removing the generator(broken) and making the compartment a home for 2 vertical blue rhino propane tanks to make refilling easier.
- replacing the water heater with a tankless water heater
- switching the oven/range with a top mount range
- complete redo of the electric system and put solar on the roof
- recessed lights with switches so the kids can turn lights on at night.

Hopefully its "done" by July! I'll take pics along the way

- Ian2E64B6F8-486C-4AE9-9D26-CF0D3684851F.JPG66286298-3F7D-40E5-B0BE-6FCB57A38675.JPGIMG_1907.jpegIMG_1908.jpegIMG_1909.jpegIMG_2018.jpegIMG_2019.jpeg

Should be fun, you may want to read up on other camper’s experiences w/ tankless, most aren’t promising.

Should be fun, you may want to read up on other camper’s experiences w/ tankless, most aren’t promising.
Thanks, good to know. Looking through reviews on even the new suburban tank hot water heaters it seems the quality has gone down hill. Lots of leaking issues. Makes me wish I was more careful removing the existing one. I'll probably install a pan of some sort to drain any potential leaks.

Thanks, good to know. Looking through reviews on even the new suburban tank hot water heaters it seems the quality has gone down hill. Lots of leaking issues. Makes me wish I was more careful removing the existing one. I'll probably install a pan of some sort to drain any potential leaks.
There are issues with water pressure in RV’s as well.

I don't think recent RV appliances are any worse (or better) than previous - we just see a lot more bad news reports nowadays. Nobody posts "Well, another year went by and still no leaks", right? And the leaks that do occur are nearly always plumbing lines in or out of the heater rather than the heater itself. It's a really simple appliance and not a lot to go wrong.

Very Little progress... A couple days after I started gutting, I had to use nearly my entire budget on my work truck repairs. I did try to get it started but now there seems to be electrical issues. Before I had it towed I had it going with starter fluid. My guess was that the tank has sediment in it and the lines are all clogged. with the key in the on position I don't have any power on the dash anymore. On the other hand, as soon as I connect the battery the rear running lights come on and there is no way to turn them off as far as I can tell so there is definitely something funky going on. I removed the exhaust and in the process of removing a very stubborn generator from its compartment to convert into storage for 2 verticle 20lb lp tanks. My plan is to keep removing the bad and try to figure out these electrical issues so I can get it running.

When looking into new dorman headers I had a hard time finding one of the sides because it said that the pair to the part # I found wouldn't fit the 1984 p30.

I also noticed that the oversized tires on the dually rims touch at the bottom. How safe are wheel spacers? the tires are 235/85 r16 which would be nice for over sand driving when deflated but I'm worried about how they touch.
5346EBD7-BF5C-4EDF-AC24-9F4C958280D8.JPG22387283-5C11-4A1E-8FEF-4DE2D9B045B3.JPGF1C678A2-102D-4DFF-802B-2750B0C50841.JPG

Hello 84beachbago, I'm wondering if your first goal is to refurbish this Winnebago and at what cost? Looks like you are pretty far into the project. Or is your goal to get on the road and travel?

In your first set of pictures of all the loose and hanging wires I was guessing you'd have electrical problems. Before you ask, there likely won't be any wiring diagrams. Good luck finding an electrician to rewire it. Because it is both a house and a truck. And hiring someone would cost more than the RV is worth. You are going to have a big job tracing all those wires.

Wow. That's a lot of issues you are finding. You might consider whether or not it's worth continuing with your project. After spending a lot of money and time, you'll still have a 40 year old RV. And likely, will have spent more than you would for a newer, running RV with fewer problems. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

As long as I can get the engine going, it will be worth it. Like I said, it shouldn't be anything major because it was driving when it was parked in September. It is definitely getting a little overwhelming but I think I've got a good handle on it. My plan from the get go was to remove everything in the camper and start new. I don't need an ac or a heater and thinking about removing the shower. I have done a little bit of research on installing electrical systems on camper vans and rv's so hopefully with the help of youtube I will be able to do it myself. As for the hanging wires, everything is still connected with the exception of a few ceiling lights and appliances. This will by no means be a long distance vehicle. We will be driving about ten minutes down the road, and another 20 over sand every weekend for the summer months.

The camper was free, the tow was free and so far I only have a few disposal fees adding up to a hundred bucks. I can likely replace most of the subfloor and roof with leftover job materials from work and build the cabinets and furniture with wood I have in my garage. As long as I have a mobile empty box with a toilet in it by the summer, it will have to do for this year. The way I see it is, I would much rather put a little bit of money and time into this classic rig than to go more into debt for a newer rv.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holtt
Back
Top Bottom