New Mexico State Park Fee Increase Proposal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kirk

New Mexico has a proposal to increase fees in their state parks very significantly for visitors. There are published plans available and also an impact statement. The public is encouraged to provide comments on the New Mexico State Parks Fees Study rule changes. Written comments will be accepted until March 29, 2024.

Email:
[email protected]

US Mail:
New Mexico State Parks
C/O Fees Study Public Comment
1220 S St. Francis Dr., Ste. 215
Santa Fe, NM 87505
1711152600737.png

Both ends of the budget must meet; maintaining the parks and facilities therein, and offering every visitor the best experiences each park has to offer.
Indiana has a similar fee schedule, residents pay a portion of their state taxes to support the Indiana state park system, thus the lower fees for residents.

I heard about this and sent my comments but likely there's little that will change the result. To bring the fees in line with today is expected but I would also say if you're going to be charging contemporary rates, I would expect contemporary facilities. Something tells me that here in the land of manana we'll get the new rates and the same 1970's crappy campsites.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

As of today, according to the Passport America website, of the 26 membership parks in NM, only 2 are over $30 for a full hookup site:
Coachlight Inn & RV Park, Las Cruces ($31)
Cuervo Mtn RV Park & Horse Hotel, Stanley ($45)

Since I currently live in NM, I know that many of the parks in NM are dirt/gravel lots in a larger dirt/gravel lot. The view is of dirt/gravel. Doesn't matter if the park is a public park or a private park. And I have been in enough public and private parks to not buy into the "public parks are more scenic" and/or "public parks are cheaper" sayings.

As for staying in a NM State Park, there is one 20 miles from me. I have stayed there a few times. It has a small lake. We go there to get away since it's so close. We get a $14 W/E site. It is NOT worth $30. There is a county park 11 miles from me. A full hookup site is $18. One of our favourite parks is in Hobbs (Harry McAdams). It is a county park (a former State Park, 100 miles away) with W/E/S sites for $18. I have noticed that there are often public and private alternatives to a state/federal park (google maps tends to be better for finding this info than the RV review sites).

I used to say that I rarely stayed in a private park because I "camped" in a tent. That has changed simply because both private and public parks have changed and my requirements have changed. All my campers are self contained. I no longer use the bathhouses. For a short trip, I don't need a laundry either. I view my campers as rolling motel rooms or small apartments. I rarely just "go to a park". I go play "tourist". That means I go see cheap stuff (I like museums, zoos and botanical gardens) and use the camper to sleep and prepare food in, maybe watch a movie before going to sleep. I just need a spot to park in overnight. W/E/S is a nice extra but really not required due to being self-contained (although a 30 amp connection is required during the heat of summer to run the AC unit but we don't really go places when it's terrible hot because the dog goes everywhere with us). I have learned that the state and federal parks in the 12 or 13 states I have researched are pricing themselves out of my preferred price range for the amenities I need and/or use. That's okay, I'm sure they will have plenty who will take my place. And I can always find someplace to park. Sometimes it's free AND I get W/E/Dump station (gotta love that about TX).

I have yet to encounter a contemporary resort facility in a NM state park that would support a contemporary resort price.

The way locals pack NM state parks on weekends I expect a lot of outrage if the new prices go into effect. They have hidden the study/proposal well; you have to go looking for it. For me, over the years state parks in many states have become the high-priced locations compared to many commercial parks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom