New MH - What must I buy for it ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1.  Sewer hose....at least 20 ft of heavy duty (brand...don't know).  Go to Camping World.'
2.  Jumper cable
3.  Extra power cord with 15-30 and 30-15 adaptors. 
4.  50' of potable water hose plus pressure reducer
5.  Tools (channel locks, screw drivers, etc.)
6.  Holding tank chemical
7.  Tire pressure guage and "thumper".

Magboiler,
6.  Holding tank chemical

The majority of full-timers and some-timers think that holding tank chemicals do nothing good, and could be causing harm to the dump stations. In fact, many have been closed down because chemicals have killed the enzymes and bacteria necessary to keep them in running condition. Personally, a capful of laundry detergent does at least as good a job of those other expensive additives. Aside from that, your suggestions are excellent. :)

Sewer Hose : Lazydays told me we will get a basic hose with the MH, but that we should probably get a better one. Well, what length, make, etc etc ?

What other items MUST we buy ?

One note on the sewer house. ?Buy the 20 feet in two 10-foot sections that couple. ?Some campground sites are tight and having the ability to halve the length of the hose is handy. ?Saves snaking hose all over the place to preserve a constant grade to the sewer connection.

By all means get a flashlight. ?The big 3 or 4 cell Maglites ? are ideal imho for general RV use. ? However, you should also pick up a small 2 AA-cell flashlight. ? There will be nights you are trying to get, say, a water heater to operate with a flashlight clenched between your teeth. ?Maglite makes these too.

Forget the holding tank chemistry. ? We have covered this ground in a dozen threads. ? They are not needed.? ?Holding tanks are septic tanks. ?Let the bugs do their job.

TP. ? RV branded TP is worse that useless and overpriced to boot. ? Use a TP that is Approved for Septic Tank Use on the label. ? Scotts is one such brand and is found most anywhere.

Get a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves for sewer duty. ?Buy a cheap 25 -50 length of light-weight colored garden hose for use with sewage matters. ? Your white drinking water hose should never be used for these purposes.

The 25-cent coin, the quarter, is the universal American coin. ? Fits parking meters, vending machines, and, most importantly, campground laundry machines. ?Go to a bank and buy one or two rolls of quarters. ?You will need them.

Pressure regulators for your city water connection are essential especially in the West.? ?Water pressure in Salt Lake City for one, is about 80-100 psi:? will blow the hell out of your 45 psi rated plumbing.? ?Get one, they are cheap.

Get sun glasses.? Much of America is 15-20? of latitude south of the UK.? The sun is high and bright, especially reflected off interstate highway pavement.? ?For the typical north European complection, sun screen is not a bad idea either.

American radio between metropolitan areas tends to be lousy.? Top 40 country and pulpit thumping.? ?Satellite radio is not a bad luxury.?

Carl Lundquist said:
Satellite radio is not a bad luxury.

WalMart still has the XM Roady 2 for only $28, but it does require a monthly subscription.

Hi Kenneth,

Just thought we would give you an update following your advice to buy a lottery ticket quick.

Good News is that we won 10 Euros on the Euro Millions Lottery - bad news was it cost us 45 Euros worth of tickets.? ;D

Amazingly, there were no winners for tonights (Jan 27th) Lottery and it now rolls-over to ......wait for it........

$225 MILLION DOLLARS !!!

We might have a go on that one - you never know, the Expedition could be traded for a Provo next week.

Paul

seems like most things have been covered - one thing here in Arizona that is a must - DARK TINTED WINDOWS ALL AROUND.
It cost me $700 when we got ours done as soon as we bought it, but after 8 years, the tint is in great shape yet. really helps in the high heat by keeping the interior cooler, and helps prevent sun-fade of interior.
and in the daytime, provides nice privacy with shades open (we have the limo-black tint - you simply cannot see inside during the day).
also, Satellite radio is terrific! we started with XM, but switched over to Sirius - better programming (the bluegrass on Sirius is terrific! lots of good stuff, even an Elvis channel.) either way, look for what they call a plug-n-play - and get a boombox with it. Best Buy, Circuit City, they can help.

Now for the woman's perspective.

Plastic "shoeboxes" for storing stuff.  They stack on each other and you can mark the contents with a label maker or masking tape and marker.  I use some larger than the shoebox size for larger items.  I also store my liquid cleaning products (without the lid) in case one springs a leak.

I like the Swiffer products.  I have the dry/wet mop.  The handle comes apart and you can store the handle, the dry cloths and the wet cloths in one of the larger than shoebox plastic boxes.  This keeps from caring a broom, mop and dustpan.

I line the bottom of the cabinets with shelf paper - not the stickly stuff-but the thicker non-skid type.  Protects the cabinet (I had a can of something ooze and I was glad I had lined the cabinet) and helps keep things from sliding around.

I like the individual plastic (Rubbermaid?) containers that lock together usually used for silverware.  I use them in the bathroom cabinets to hold small items and tall skinny bottles which could easily tip over and in the kitchen to hold my spice bottles.

Flashlight, basic tools (screwdrivers, etc.), first aid kit, laundry basket/bag, possibly clothespins, and your basic kitchen, bathroom, office supplies you would use at home.

UK-RV,

Add long handle lighter for starting gas oven and gas grill.

Non-slip material to use between dishes, pots and pans, etc.  You can get it in a roll at Wal-Mart in blue and possibly another color - has holes in it.

I'll keep thinking...

I can assure you of one thing. The absolute best camping chair is the Coleman Deck Chair W/Table. Wow, it is marvelous! It is wider (for us on the larger side) and extremely comfortable. It also has a built in folding table with a cupholder! It doesn't fold quite as small as the common bag chairs, however, I will NOT sit in one of those grabbing, body hugging, uncomfortable bag chairs. This Coleman chair w/folding table is a must!

(I should be a salesman for them, hehe)

I found the best price somewhere on the net for $34.00 a piece. Gander mountain has them at $44.00

Brad

We bought the same chair without the Coleman name on it at the AZ market last year for less than $30 I think it was $25 including tax .  We also have some bag chairs that are just as comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom