New RVer from NE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beverly

Hi all,
We just purchased our first TT last weekend after many years of tent camping. I've been camping since I was a child and got my better half into it a few years ago. We love the outdoors and getting away from "it" all. Every time we've gone camping, we've had to deal with a downpour and we really got sick of being trapped in a tent. So we decided to look into a PU or TT. We were originally leaning towards a PU, but figured we'd use it for a short time then want to move up, so we went right for the TT. We ended up with a Rockwood Roo, and feel like it is going to be the best of both worlds for us.

I have lots of questions and am very excited to have found this community. Looks like a lot of knowledgeable and helpful folks here- looking forward to hearing the  great advice we'll surely get!

Can't wait to figure out how to back up with the TT attached and get out there! ;D

Get some traffic cones and head for a Walmart parking lot. Set up the cones and practice backing up. In order to be successful at backing up you simply have to learn how to trust your mirrors.

Good morning Beverly and welcome to THE RV FORUM.

You are in for some really swell times.  Being able to enjoy "camping" regardless of the weather is great.

It is likely that you will have questions and may even seek advice.  Our library has a lot of reference material and forum members enjoy answering questions. 

Know that you are both welcome and encouraged to participate in our many discussions.  It is a good way to get know other forum members.

Welcome aboard!

Thank you markandkim! I should have clarified- we're from New England, just outside of Boston.

We went to Gillette stadium parking lot last night for practice. Thankfully there were no Patriots around for me to back over! Started out just using the lines (and avoiding light posts and trash barrels)  I thought about getting cones and glad SeilerBird recommended them. Will get some for the next practice. It is going to take some time!

My better half did much better than I. I tried holding the steering wheel from the bottom, but still had difficulty. Right now I am feeling that the key is to go very slow and not expect to get in a spot the 1st, 2nd or even 3rd time. For now! We have our first trip in 2 weeks, so we'll keep practicing till I get it right. I know I'll get it, but it's frustrating for this perfectionist to not get it right off the bat! Have to work on that.  :)

Thank you geodrake! I'm very excited to have this resource at my fingertips! We plan to use it extensively.

Do not be afraid of doing it over. If you start backing up and you find you are not going where you want to go stop and pull forward a bit and then try it again.

You don't need to spend money on cones. Raid your returnables bin and fill some empty bottles with water.

Use those instead of cones. No question if you ran over one, with the big wet spot on the pavement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom