New Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nomoretents

Looking to replace the tires on our trailer this year.  We made it thru the first year running the duro's that came from the factory and rather not push our luck this summer.  Trying to find tires for 14" rims is turning out to be a pain.  I was leaning to the maxxis as they seem to have less bad reviews but I came across these tires and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them

http://www.kumhousa.com/Tire.aspx?id=7eab87ad-62dc-4d82-897e-e59335de416c&cat=39

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=0R4857&tab=Specs

These are the only D rated tire I have been able to find for a 14" rim.  I like the idea of the extra load capacity of the D rated tire and tirerack lists them as having a Q speed rating. 

Will my wheels be able to take the increased pressure? 65 vs 50

Any thoughts, experiences on these tires or any other tires that would be a good choice is much appreciated.  My trailer GVWR #7000

A little more info would help ie what are you towing, how much weight on the axles loaded as you intend to use it NOT dry or empty weight but how you intend to travel? Trailer or RV tires are a real can of worms but if you'll give us more to work with we'll try to help. Many trailers can be up converted to 15 inch wheels which gives you a better shot at heavier tires. How much clearance between the two tires assuming you have two axles and how much clearance between the top of tire and the underside of your trailer? Can you give us any idea what your axle is rated at for weight? How many bold holes in the rim? If you have a tire off you'll see what the wheel is rated for for tire pressure and also load rating. Gerry

I don't have any experience with them, but I am seeing more and more Kumho tires on RVs, including large motorhomes. Kumho has a track record in commercial tires and I have not seen any complaints about them, so maybe good for you too?

The tires you have referenced have an aggressive tread design that may not be desired on the trailer axles. A good straight rib design would be less stressed on your axles. You can compare the Kumho tread design with the Maxxis tread design in the reference provided below.

http://www.maxxis.com/Industrial/Trailer.aspx

FastEagle 

Thanks for the replies.  Going to give the kohmo's a try.  Have read some good reviews.  Will report back after I get them on and take a trip.

According to Kumho web site the 857 radials are a commercial rated tire for trailer service only. I see on several different trailering webs (RV and non RV) there becomming popular with folks with 14" tires.

Maxxis also shows several 14" sizes in their commercial rated LT U-168 Bravo tire line. The Bravo line of LT tires is also gaining in popularity with trailer owners of all types trying to get away from ST tire issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom