New tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Choclab

I have a 40 ft keystone alpine that needs tires. Bought this 2012 alpine a year ago blew out two tires replace all with high run st235/85r/16. Blew out one of this last week what to do now? Thinking LT235/85R/16??

The ST235/80-16 E has around 3500-3600 lb of capacity and are used on 5.2k-6k and 7k axles.

The LT235/85-16 E has 3042 lb capacity/80 psi. The Bridgestone R-250 or the Michelin XPS Rib are a commercial grade all steel ply carcass are tops for 5.2k and 6k axles

The commercial grade all steel carcass Goodyear G614 LT235/85-16 G load range @3750 lbs/110 psi are pricey but make a great tire for 6k-7k axles.

Another commercial grade all steel carcass tire is the Sailun S637 in a ST235/80 or /85-16 G load range at 4080 capacity/110 psi has a excellent service record on RV and especially commercial haulers websites for trailers with 7k and 8k axles.

If you upgrade to those those commercial class 110 psi tires make sure your wheels can handle those pressures.

Also if running ST rated tires, they have a maximum speed limit of 65 mph. And they really shouldn't be run 65 mph for long periods of time.

I have been reading a lot of posts about tires have have been thinking of changing out my ST Towmax's that came on my Primetime 297RSK. Quite franky the 65mph rating has me a bit worried since most speed limits now are 65mph. (I don't need to go 100mph but would like to be comfortable cruising at 65 to 70 mph) 
So I've been wondering.
If money is no object .
What is the best tire?
Thanks

How can you find out if your rims will take the pressure all I see on the rims are weight of 3550 they are aluminum? There is a lot of discussion about LT verses ST what is best for rv weight of 14000 lb. 2 axle 4 tires. Very confusing. Just need a moderate priced tire I can trust thanks

You can call the rim manufacturer and they'll help you.  I was upgrading from load range d to e tires, which meant the tire pressure would go from 65psi to 80psi.  I called Jayco who gave me the rim manufacturer's name and number.  Tredit asked the model year and make of the the trailer and they knew exactly what rim and said I would have no issues with the tire upgrade (I sent them a picture of the rim to make sure).  I changed the tires in April of this year and put on 4000 miles without issues.

Help I really need is ST or LT tires what is best what brand. What experience  with types and brands of tires?

See my above reply.

Another good LT tire is Hercules H-901 in a LT235/85-16 G at 110 psi if your trailer has 7k axles.

You say your wheels have a 3550 lb rating which may not be pressure rated for a 110 psi tire.
We can only give you recommendations on the info you give us. Were in the dark about what size axles your trailer has so we can only give you recommendations on the info you give us.

choclab: you are asking for simple answer where none exists. If you want to change tires to something other than what the trailer manufacturer provided, you will need to dig into the technical details of axle weights and tire sizes & load capacities.

LT vs ST: LT tires can be driven faster than ST, but carry less weight for a given size. LT tires typically have a 75 mph rating, while nearly all ST tires are 65 mph.  If an LT tire can be found that will carry the weight of your axles and fit on your wheels, then LT is probably a better choice for today's highway speeds. But you can't use an LT unless it has sufficient weight carrying capacity, so that needs to be investigated first.

Weight (load) carrying capacity: Every tire has a maximum load rating and a minimum inflation pressure to achieve that load.  Larger tire sizes nearly always have a larger load capacity, so increasing size may be an option if the capacity is marginal. A tire may also be available in higher load ratings, i.e. a version of the tire may offer greater load capacity. However, that extra capacity always requires greater pressure (psi), and the wheels (rims) need to be able to handle that greater psi as well.

Also, shouldn't it be pointed out that ST tires have a stronger sidewall than LT tires?  I cringe every time I have to do a tight turn with my 44 foot toy hauler and watch the sidewall flex as the trailer basically spins in place on the "inside of the turn" tires.  I can't cite any technical data, but this keeps me from considering switching from ST tires to LT tires...but just don't have facts to back this up.  Maybe someone who knows this in detail can comment.

Choclab said:
Help I really need is ST or LT tires what is best what brand. What experience  with types and brands of tires?

I went to Sailun all steel 235 85R16 G rated. Your wheels should be 110 psi rated or 4000lb weight rated to mount these tires.

Camp On!

Get away from the undersized 16 inch sizes and upgrade to 17.5 inch tire and wheel package.  In this size you can get tires rated for around 4500 pounds each.  More than enough for your trailer.

Also, shouldn't it be pointed out that ST tires have a stronger sidewall than LT tires?

That's a fact, but it is reflected in the lower load capacity of an LT vs St of the same size. Either one is safe enough as long as the load is within its stated limits.

PNGento said:
Also, shouldn't it be pointed out that ST tires have a stronger sidewall than LT tires?  I cringe every time I have to do a tight turn with my 44 foot toy hauler and watch the sidewall flex as the trailer basically spins in place on the "inside of the turn" tires.  I can't cite any technical data, but this keeps me from considering switching from ST tires to LT tires...but just don't have facts to back this up.  Maybe someone who knows this in detail can comment.

Your thoughts are totally wrong.  ST tires have an extremely soft sidewall.  Don't believe me.  Go to your local tire dealer and compare them side by side.  Then heft each one and see which one actually weighs more.

The following comes under the heading "For what it's worth".
A couple of years ago we bought a Gulf Stream Conquest, Model 245 FBW.  28 foot, with a empty weight of 7300 #, off the truck.  Hooked to the truck the trailer weighed 6800.  5th Wheel. :)
2 months ago, while heading to Wisconsin from the Chicago area, We blew the tred right off the side walls.
The trailer came from the Mfg with Hi Run ST205/ 75R15.  Load range C, 50 PSI, 60 MPH.  It was a 90 degree day and I was running 55 to 60.  Buy the way, the axils have a 3500 # sticker on them.
On the CAT split scale, the trailer weighed 7120 loaded.  The tires had less than 3K miles on them.
Did the research, bought bigger rimes to accommodate Tow Master SS Radials. ST225/ 75R15.  These tires are load range E, 80 PSI, Speed rated to 81 MPH (M).  Heading south in a couple of weeks.  We'll see.

I went thru this exercise after blowing out a few tires.  I now have switched all ten of the tires to Goodyear G614 tires and aluminum wheels rated for 110 psi.

There is a little more to the story but I have not had any problem since with a trailer weighing 25,500 pounds.

For me it is worth the peace of mind.

Your thoughts are totally wrong.  ST tires have an extremely soft sidewall.

"Soft" sidewall and "strong sidewall" aren't mutually exclusive. But there is no need to debate it, cause the tire manufacturer puts the load rating right on the sidewall. Look and feel are what you need to go by; use the tire specs.

Just a Question.  To add to my last post.
When I bought the trailer, I had it weighed as it came from the dealer.  Nothing added.
The trailer weighed 7300, off the truck.  The tires were rated at LRC, 1820 X 4 = 7280 #.
When we're loaded and rolling, the trailer is 7120 on a CAT split scale.  As I figure it, if I dropped it to weigh alone, figuring the pin weight added to the trailer weight, the trailer is weighing 8800#.
Any one know a good Attorney?  Hello Gulf Stream!!!    :(

Trailer axle weights are 7180 on the scales =  1795 lbs per tire. You have a trailer that needs a bit more tire capacity ....you also have no legal means for a lawyer unless those OEM tires don't meet the trailers axle ratings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom