New to all and trying to find our RVea legs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grasshopper

Okay, the subject line was supposed to be a play on Sea Legs. Hope someone got it.

We are new, from TN, and in the market for our first RV. We're searching for a gently used fifth wheel. We've identified floorpans, some preferred brands, and max length and weight that we want. We've followed the main online sales sites and have visited a whole lot of dealerships.

A local dealership had one on our list come in and we returned to see what we might be able to negotiate. The special sale price was 15% off MSRP. They offered a free hitch, free tv, and waived the $900 prep fee.

We didn't feel that was a good offer since there was no amount taken off the asking price. We told them we would think about.

Is that what we should expect in negotiations and am I just being cheap?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Can't wait to share our buying journey!

Welcome Grasshopper, a wealth of knowledge to be had....though sometimes you have to separate "the wheat from the chaff "!      ;)

Welcome to the RV Forum.  You are ahead of most in several respects.  You have figured out that you want a 5th wheel and the floor plan and potential brands. It is good that you understand the value of gently used since new vehicle warranties don't really apply to RVs and depreciation happens fast.  Others will have caught the new vehicle bugs.  Now you need to figure out what to pay.  May I suggest that you check out RV Trader.  You will be able to filter to the brands and models you like and look far and wide for what others are asking for your target product.  Armed with this price you can better negotiate with a local dealer, or perhaps buy one that is advertised.

Have you figured out what truck you will pull your RV with? This is a topic covered here quite often, with many new people underestimating the size truck you will be needing.

Thank you all so much for the welcome.

JoelP, we have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel. I think the max trailer weight is 13,250? But the man of the house is in charge of that. :)

We are planning to stay 1,000 lbs under the max weight to be on the safe side. Is that enough? I'm not sure how to gauge maximum weight vs. when it's a swervy, turvy problem. Thar's big ole hills and curves in TN.

And yes, RV Trader is my go-to for determining asking prices.

But Grasshopper has so many more questions! lol

I won't monopolize the forum and will try to search the forum first before asking.

Thanks again!

No, you are not being cheap.  You should be able to do much better than 15% off MSRP.  Mine had been used in a couple of shows, and I got 25% off, plus there was no prep fee.  And I think I could have done a little better.

Good that you know what you want.  It takes most of us a while, but one day that perfect one will appear. 

I am not sure what trailer weight you are referring to, but make sure you allow for water, groceries, belongings, toys, and a ton of other thing you might carry with you.  It adds up and has to be counted as weight.

Welcome!!!

The term MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price) does not really apply to a used rig so your 15% applies to what number? Perhaps the listed price? You can assess the value of a used rig by using NADA and it will give you a ballpark figure by considering the depreciation that has taken place. DO NOT add any additional equipment in this evaluation. After that, the price you may be willing to pay should revolve around the actual condition of the vehicle.

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

What 5th wheel you can tow with that vehicle will depend on the CCC or pay load your particular truck can handle. That number can usually be found on a sticker on the doorpost although in a 2005 vehicle, that may vary. You then have to deduct any additional loads you are adding such as the hitch, the dog, the extra passengers etc.  A 5th wheel puts a minimum of 20-25% of its loaded weight on the truck, we recommend using the VGWR of the TRAILER for that weight,  and then compare this number with your adjusted truck capacity. Doing the math will give you the maximum weight you can safely tow and will include a safety margin.

That is just an OK price, what I would describe as a typical dealer offer.  It's not bad, but you can probably do better.

15% off MSRP is pretty much a normal offer, even though it is often described as a sale or special one time price.  Throwing in a hitch adds some value, maybe $200-$250 worth, but "waiving" the $900 prep fee is just a price ploy. The MSRP is supposed to include any required prep, so charging an extra $900 and then waiving it is just smoke & mirrors. That seems to be a fairly common RV dealer ploy these days, a way to make the price appear lower than it really is.

I would suggest making them a counter-offer, knocking off another 5%-8% off the MSRP.  See where it goes. Don't be in a hurry to accept whatever new price they may offer either. Or ask that some other items be thrown in, e.g. a $150 credit in their accessory store to buy stuff you will probably need.

My son is pulling a 35 ft bunk FW 9,580 (not dry but some items in it) so figure 10k to 10, 300 loaded  2,140 pin with a 2012 crew, long bed, 4x4, CTD and says it pulls good. He says it pulls better than his 5800 lb 27 ft TT. Remember that you need to subtract fuel, passengers, pets, tools and everything else added to the truck.  3/4 ton trucks sometimes run out of pin capacity before towing capacity. His listed payload is about 2160  so after adding other items to travel he's probably over by 200 lb maybe. The 3/4 that you see squatted with a huge FW are far over.  I lean toward being lower in the tow vehicles capacity for the most stress free travel.

Grasshopper said:
Okay, the subject line was supposed to be a play on Sea Legs. Hope someone got it.

We are new, from TN, and in the market for our first RV. We're searching for a gently used fifth wheel. We've identified floorpans, some preferred brands, and max length and weight that we want. We've followed the main online sales sites and have visited a whole lot of dealerships.

A local dealership had one on our list come in and we returned to see what we might be able to negotiate. The special sale price was 15% off MSRP. They offered a free hitch, free tv, and waived the $900 prep fee.

We didn't feel that was a good offer since there was no amount taken off the asking price. We told them we would think about.

Is that what we should expect in negotiations and am I just being cheap?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Can't wait to share our buying journey!

As Alfa38user noted there is no MSRP or Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price on a used RV, just a sale price. Rita and I looked for many months before we bought ours an also went to many new dealers to look at used and in the end I think the best deals to be had is through a place like craigslist where we bought ours and got a fantastic deal. The end of the season is also a great time to buy.

Back
Top Bottom