New to diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolsout2

We are about to take possession of a 2010 Winnebago Tour with th cummins 8.9 400 hp engine.  While shopping we wanted a diesel that would fit us and not break the bank. We feel we found a very nice unit that has a floor plan that fits our travel style.  We are looking to go full time for a few years.  We have been spending 5 to 6 months on the road anyway.

Having spent the last 5 years on the road we are experienced with the life style.  What I am interested in learning are:

Are there issues with diesels not related to maintenance that we need to be aware of.  Issues at fuel stops?

Can we fuel up at any truck stop?

With a 40 footer, are we closed out of most state and national park CG?
Any other advice?

I have driven diesel busses for a job many years ago, but not an RV.

As far as fueling up at truck stops, I always fill up and pull right out of the way to make room for truckers.  At a minimum, just pull up far enough so the next guy behind you can pull up and fill up behind you. You'll see them do that all the time also.  I don't want them waiting for me. They're on the clock and I'm not.

Many DPs have the ability to refuel on both sides of the coach (A nice feature). It's not unusual, however, to find that one side fuels easier than the other. That's usually due to the way each side is plumbed, so you may have to experiment. Maybe you'll get lucky and both sides will fuel easily. We usually fill up at truck stops, because there's often more room to maneuver than at regular car pumps (They also have longer window washing sticks ;)  I don't know how tall your current MH is but I think the tallest point on your aired-up Tour is 12' 11", so make sure you've got adequate clearance at the pumps and along your routes.

We're 43 feet long (without toad) and yes, we have encountered some problems trying to fit into some older campgrounds and Natl Parks. It's not necessarily the size of the campsites that limits us, it's the access roads - tight turns and clearances - that have caused us problems. However, with a little pre-planning, we've almost always been able to find a place to camp near where we're going. Your new coach isn't quite as long so you shouldn't have quite as much difficulty.

Kev

We have not found many state or national campgrounds that would not be ble to accept our 40ft Bird. Some may have some short sites , but most can accommodate a 40ft wide body. I have found that some campgrounds have some rather tight turns, so slow and easy in the parks and use a spotter while backing up. Tell the spotter to make sure to look up as well as checking for lateral movement. Many older campgrounds have trees right behind the site and trees have a way of growing limbs forward at levels below the height of your rig. Very few sites will be available in Yellowstone, and some parks on Puget sound are in access able due to the roads coming in to them. Most U.S.C.O.E. (Corps of Engineers) parks can accept up to 45ft length units, and a lot of them are up dating to 50amp service in most of their sites.

I find that calling ahead to any park we wish to use can eliminate any problem with accommodating our Coach as far as site availability for large Coaches, to include electrical and water connections as well as length of sites.

Lee

Thanks for the replies.  Our current MH is 12-6 and 35 ft long, so I am use to taking it easy when getting into a site.  The DW is always out spotting me so things go fairly smooth for us.  I look forward to being able to fuel up without the " hassle" of looking for gas pumps I can get into and out of.

We were concerned about the length, but we do always call ahead so finding a spot sounds like it will not be an added problem.

40 foot motorhome is rather easy. Try a 31' foot travel travel hitch to a truck making you 52 foot long. Make it rather challenging to find fuel stations you can get in and out off. I found another again layout wrong and very very difficult to line up at the pump and have room for the trailer. (Emmett, ID Chevron) Tight fit.

As for camping and RV use. I would consider learning how to boondock more. Hook up are not a requirement. That why RV's have holding tanks.  ;) Boondocking is much more enjoyable. (Personal story) I had a date with a gal in Emmett, ID so I took the RV down hoping my park would be there. Nope it closed. So there is a RV in town OMG! Tight fit, hard to wiggle into my slot. Neighbors within  6 feet (I could stretch out both arm and touch my RV to my neighbor).  So I grin and bear it. Only one night. So personally I tend avoid RV parks. Boondocking you don't have to listen to the neighbor warming up his straight piped Harley.  ::)

schoolsout2 said:
Are there issues with diesels not related to maintenance that we need to be aware of. 

Dig out the manual, read it, highlight important stuff, and follow maintenance schedules.  Consider changing your own oil and fuel filters. It's not difficult and will save you big bucks.

I usually do my own minor maintenance, I will be doing the oil and filter changes.  Mopar man, I got real tired of trying to find gas stations I could get in and out of with our gasser.  I look forward to truck stops.

schoolsout2 said:
I usually do my own minor maintenance, I will be doing the oil and filter changes.  Mopar man, I got real tired of trying to find gas stations I could get in and out of with our gasser.  I look forward to truck stops.

Don't get your hopes up for always having truck stops. This last weekend I was in Emmett, ID with the RV and fought me way into to a Chevron fuel station to get diesel then found the maze to get back out on the street. Thing is I'm getting really talented with dragging a 31 foot tail around. I'm learning ohow to worm in and out of some tight place including the last RV park I stayed at. (Yuk) Way way to close for my comfort level.  ::)

Yes Gary, 100 gallon tank.  With the gas unit I always started looking for gas with 1/2 tank.  I hope to get 2 days of travel between fuel stops now.

I would simply suggest using truck stops or whatever makes you comfortable until you get a few miles on the rig and are comfortable maneuvering in smaller spaces. Once you get comfortable spotting your way in and out of a smaller station it will be second nature. Then gas buddy becomes your friend. Sometimes the truck stop is the place to go with your discount card of course or, just fill at a local station in town in the am when leaving the CG and then hook up your toad and head out. I use local or truck stops depending on price and location, I also try and fuel earlier in the day rather than 5pm when it seems to be the busiest. I also fuel around 1/2 tank (90 gals) unless I will be crossing a state line soon where I know fuel is less $. I use mostly rv parks but have run into a few state parks that could not handle the length so calling ahead is a good idea. If you do run into a night you can't find anything in the state parks most local rv parks have an overflow area you can use overnight. Congrats on the new rig, hope you love it as much as I do mine.

Thanks maverick.  We plan to head to your part of the country in a year or two.  We are going to the north east this fall, then southwest next spring.  I did not want to do all of that touring with the 40k mile gasser. Alaska is also on my radar. We may also full time for a while if the house sells.

Let's say diesel engine are much easier to maintain than gasoline. Typically diesel engine have much greater capacity for oil so the oil changes are typically long intervals compared to gasoline. Then you just got to change the air filter and fuel filter at a specified time. Like for me fuel filter is changed every 2nd oil change which is 20k miles my oil change is at 10k miles.  Air filter I typically change every 100k miles miles. Axle gear oil is 30k miles with my transfer case. But transmission fluid is every 100k miles. So now that I made 245k miles (almost 1/4 of million) I've already went to the moon and heading home. The distance to the moon is 238k miles.  Still trucking and dragging trailers.  8)

Attachments

• firewood bigtex.JPG
    firewood bigtex.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 8
schoolsout2 said:
Thanks maverick.  We plan to head to your part of the country in a year or two.  We are going to the north east this fall, then southwest next spring.  I did not want to do all of that touring with the 40k mile gasser. Alaska is also on my radar. We may also full time for a while if the house sells.
getting in and out of stations isn't that hard if you look the situation over before you pull in, I try to use out side lanes if possible. You already know about tail swing so just leave plenty of room and have some fun.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom