New to & Looking to Buy a Used Tow Dolly Could use Some Help on Price and Model

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chad:  Any determined thief who wants your dolly will take your dolly.  That is why you buy insurance.  If you make it harder to take than the others in the campground, they will leave yours alone.

In KY, my current home state, dollies do not require tags or registration.  I am not sure if you can title one!  Why pay for stuff you do not need?  Check with your insurance agent for advise on proof of ownership, and definitely record the VIN!

Mucho thanks for the meaty & helpful replies Gary, Lars, grashley.  :))

I got some policy from Progressive; not expert in every detail but it's comprehensive in a way that resembles a homeowner policy, IE covers break in/burglaries, & outright theft of the RV. I'd need to speak to someone there again to get the 411 on if a tow dolly theft is included in all that... suspect NOT, as they'd maybe categorize it like a different "vehicle" which they don't cover, rather than a possession lumped in with my possessions inside the rig. Main line of defense = don't get it ripped off.

I'm in Calif where I bought/reg'd the RV, has Calif plates as does my Honda to be towed, and if the CW gal is to be believed; miraculously, Commiefornia DOESN'T req tow dollies be reg'd/plated! I know, right?! So I'm thinking, no way Jose on reg'ing it anyways... seems no brainer! Fees/taxes up front & then get billed every year to keep tabs current?! pfff.

Will surely record VIN when I eventually get a dolly though; good advice y'all.  :)

The liability coverage for your motorhome extends to anything it tows, but the collision and comprehensive do not.  However, most motorized RV policies have coverage for "personal property" attached to or carried in or on the RV and might cover a dolly while in use with the RV.  Probably not if stored away from the RV, though. Personal Property coverage usually has a fairly low dollar limit too, perhaps $2000 total, but that can be increased at a small additional premium cost.  It's a fuzzy situation at best and probably not a very reliable sort of coverage.
We used a dolly for about a year and didn't worry about insuring it. The value was only about $900 and we consider our risk of loss to be very low. That might not be true if you live in a metro area or store the dolly in a remote lot, but we live in a rural area with RV & dolly in our yard, and the dolly was on our campsite (partially under the coach) when camping.

^ thanks again Gary -- U da boss!  8)

I was slow-walking making that tow-dolly purchase, until I got closer to having a real trip planned, when a car thief changed my situation for me!  :eek:

my new sitch is: ISO: Marketplace for already flat-tow outfitted dinghys
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,126399.msg1155082.html#msg1155082

Just got to plug in that Grease and pump those bearing full and roll.

Safe and happy travels.

JD   

Back
Top Bottom