New to Me Bought May 13, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhounds

I have been on this forum for a couple of years, gathering great information by reading and asking questions. I have gone all over the place trying to decide what to buy. I bought a Class C last September 2013 and sold it March 2014 deciding it was not the rig for me. Since March I was really focussed on trailers to full time in and even bought a 2006 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 truck as my tow vehicle. Well a long story short, this past Monday I was on Craig's List looking for trailers or anything RV in my local area (25 miles) and an older Holiday Rambler had just been listed a couple of days. Instead of waiting for interior photos I asked the seller to come over and look at it. I had a feeling it would not last long and I also thought most might wait until this weekend to come and look at it.

Well the rig was even better in person than the photos. After looking at it for a couple of hours while it stormed, I left him a deposit with an agreement final payment would be made after the test drive. Tons of rain and backing it into a yard is delaying that process even though it is kept inside a portable garage.

Its a 1987 Holiday Rambler Presidential 33'. His dad bought it new and he bought it from his dad 8 years ago. Kids are off to college and he and his wife have other weekend interests now instead of rving. Maintenance updated on a regular basis, new filters on engine and generator. New "used" tires installed, just de-winterized, the ice maker was still pushing out pink ice cubes. The Chevy 454 idled and purred like a kitten. I plan to get it over to my house and then check things out with plans of hitting the road by June 15 until April 2015. I believe this 33'er will give me and the hounds more room to leave and still have the ability to boondock as I had planned to.

Attachments

• 1987 HR2.jpg
    1987 HR2.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 1987 HR4.jpg
    1987 HR4.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 70
Nice looking unit - looks very clean...

Post some interior pics when you get a chance - that 454 is a horse and good for a ton of miles....eats some gas though!!

But you already knew that!!

Good Luck hope you don't find any serious problems - make sure the tires are new enough!!

Jim

My camera has changed the colors somewhat. The counter top and table top are more brownish than purple. As well as the carpet up front is more of a tan than the orange it shows. I'm not sure what this rig's mpg will be but all of my estimates for all types of rigs were based on $4/gal and 5mpg. It only has 67,616 miles from two owners but the recent only only did local trips to state parks used their electric instead of the generator. Tire are two years old, brake lines have been bled and serviced. I don't mind repairs but hope the engine and tranny stay well.

Attachments

• DSCN1859 - Version 2.jpg
    DSCN1859 - Version 2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN1860 - Version 2.jpg
    DSCN1860 - Version 2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 76
Looks neat to me  !  I have a Holday Rambler as well, if you love yours as much as I do mine you're really going to enjoy it!

You are going to LOVE that rig.  I have a nearly identical 1992 Alumalite HR, and it's a CHAMP.    Like others said, it uses some gas, but that TAG axle (mine's a 32 foot) is the best thing ever.  Smooth, solid comfortable ride with no shimmey, shake or fishtailing.  Hardly notice a big rig blowing by at 80mph.    Mine rides like a Caddilac, and I'm sure yours will too.

Back
Top Bottom