new to rv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfried

My husband and I are considering buying our first RV to enjoy in retirement.  We have looked at a used Class C Thor Chateau and Fleetwood 23b Jamboree.  Does anyone have any comments on either or suggestions on a better choice, perhaps.  We are looking for something no longer than 24 feet.

Welcome to the Forum. The only comment I would have is make sure you get it inspected by someone other than the dealer you're buying it from.

Rene T,
We're so new to this world.  Who would we get to inspect it?

There must be someone who makes house calls for repairing RV's I would contact them to see if they could do it or someone who strictly repairs RV's at a shop could also do it I would think. Or at a minimum, do you know someone who's been rv'ing for years who would be able to go with you during  walk through.

jfried said:
Rene T,
We're so new to this world.  Who would we get to inspect it?

Don't know where you are located but many places, even here in the wilds of MT, have mobile RV service techs.  The phone book may have some listed or check with mobile home parks as the systems are similar.  The truck part can be checked at any good automotive/truck shop.

you can do a search of rv inspections and your area. There will be a list of RV mechanics that pop up. If you want to check them further, enter the name of any one of them along with the word  "review" in the  search bar, and you should come up with some ratings sites.

Those are both common brands and are pretty much entry level models for the Class C type. I think Winnebago/Itasca builds a better Class C (for a bit more money) and companies like Jayco and Lazydaze build a better grade but more expensive unit. You might also look at C's from Forest River and Coachman, as alternatives to the two you are looking at.

If you are looking at 26 feet or more in length, you should also consider the smaller Class A's. They offer a more robust chassis and greater interior space for the same overall length. Winnebago, Tiffin and Fleetwoodhave some nice A's in that size.

Why are you limiting your self to no more than 24 feet ? I recommend reading the library section on the forum completely there is a world of information that will help you with making any decisions. Read lost of posts and consider asking many more questions. like will you tow a car etc. Welcome to the forum best of luck on you quest and keep them shining. 

24 feet is very limited and I would not recommend it for a couple if you are going to spend extended time in it, greater than a month for example.  A single person may do OK but several friends tried it and wound up with larger RVs, one is now in a 40 footer.

Just my observation of acquaintances and their RV experiences.

^^^X2
We started with a 22 ft class A, but recognized it was just an experiment to see if we'd use it (it was throwaway priced). Once we found we used it we traded up to a 32 ft class A and haven't looked back. The problem with small?? Small "Climbover" bed, combined toilet and shower, tiny kitchen, limited storage, etc, etc. There simply isn't room in a tiny (<~ 30 ft)  RV to include the minimum amenities we want! YMMV

Ernie

Hi, I'm John. Not new to RV'ing, (owned several tow-type and a Toyota RV) Just bought a 1988 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye, for my Business, (Wedding Officiant) That way I can travel to the Weddings in Comfort and be self-contained with own Bathroom and dressing room. The Unit is perfect condition, the former owners took good care of it. I only hope I can do it justice.

We bought a 40' Discovery and after seeing the 42' wish we would have purchased that.  Like I tell my friends in the "Iphone, Ipad" world, buy the biggest you can afford and handle because you can't water them to make them grow.  It's a lot to loose when you purchase a motorhome to upgrade to another, so I would research a lot and shop around.

Back
Top Bottom