New to RVing and really need some mileage information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjspillane

My wife and I are about to retire and want to get out on the road and enjoy this country. But we can't decide between trailer or MH. If I had an honest ballpark figure on what to expect pulling a 22' Ultra Lite with a 2014 5.3L Silverado 1500 with a 10K tow package on a flat road it would really help point me in the right direction.

9-11mpg will be about all i have a 1500 with the 6.2 we use for the boat and it gets about 7-9 and the boat is 5500lbs loaded with fuel my 3500 get 8-12 mpg pulling the 5er and its 15000lbs

steveblond,

:-\Thanks for the feedback, although it was not what I was expecting. I was hoping that the 5.3 with a 3.42 axil would in the low teens. So the cost to pull a trailer is about the same as driving a V8 C type. Decisions, decisions!!

Welcome to The RV Forum!

The biggest factor that determines fuel mileage is wind resistance, how big of a hole you have to carve in the air.

The amount of energy you need to carve the hole is determined by the total frontal area of the rig and how fast you travel.  Slow down and you'll get better mileage.

Or shrink the frontal area so the trailer slip streams behind the truck.  To do this you're looking at something like the collapsible Trail Manor that folds into a package not much larger than the tow vehicle.

Hello and welcome to the forum from South Central Kentucky. Gas mileage sucks. Sorry. Not sharing someone's filth (dirty mattresses, bedspreads and creepy crawlers from previous residents)...PRICELESS.           

BEAR

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I guess there is no way around it. We are now considering a truck bed camper. Can someone point me to a place on the forum where I can get input on weight restrictions and upgrading the suspension of a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500?

rjspillane said:
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I guess there is no way around it. We are now considering a truck bed camper. Can someone point me to a place on the forum where I can get input on weight restrictions and upgrading the suspension of a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500?

Get ready to explore the country in minimalist style with a Truck Camper on a 1500. It is not capable of hauling much.

bear 1951 said:
Hello and welcome to the forum from South Central Kentucky. Gas mileage sucks. Sorry. Not sharing someone's filth (dirty mattresses, bedspreads and creepy crawlers from previous residents)...PRICELESS.           

BEAR

Buying a used MH has its great savings and all you have to do is to change the mattressesand, the bedspreads and make a good clean up.

rjspillane said:

We have a section of the forum dedicated to discussions of Truck Campers.  I'm sure the experienced folks there can help out!

Some limitations of truck campers are real bathrooms and lack of storage.  Also, even if they have a toilet, there will be a very small tank.  Just something to consider.

Most of us are retired and do not drive long distances, so that somewhat makes up for the poor mileage.

It makes a big difference at the speed you are going.
I pull a 5000 pound trailer with a Dodge Ram V-8
If I am on flat roads and driving at a constant 60 MPH I'll get 13 MPG.
If I bump that up to a constant 70mph  it will drop down to around 10 MPG

Jack L

rjspillane said:
That's going to knock the crap out of your mileage too. Not just the weight but the wind resistance is going to be a big factor. A 1500 with a bed camper will most likely be very unstable too, plus they have no room in them. Even if you are going solo. If fuel mileage is that great of concern, either a tent or motel room may be the way to go.

It's pretty "normal" to care about fuel mileage in general, as it's a widely discussed factor in commuter cars these days.  But no way around it, RV's are not made for any kind of fuel efficiency.  But while 7-8mpg sounds bad, you don't drive nearly as many miles as your typical commuter vehicle where fuel is the primary expense.  So, the occasional huge fill-ups can be managed a little easier.

A 1500 is not a good base for a truck camper - too little payload. The smallest & lightest Lance truck camper is 1630 lbs absolutely dry & empty, plus you need additional load capacity  for passengers in the truck and any gear you carry. Few half tons (1500's) have enough payload to carry that. You really need a 3/4 or one-ton truck for practical use with a truck camper.

Palomino has a light camper (the SS 800) that is about 1350 lbs dry.  Might barely fit a half ton if you don't carry a passenger with you.

rjspillane said:

Unfortunately, upgrading the suspension on a truck does nothing to increase how much weight it can safely carry.  Other factors including braking ability, frame strength, axle, wheel and tire weight capacities determine how much weight you can safely move down the road.

All of these, not just the suspension, are upgraded when you change to a higher rated truck.

And to add insult to injury, a full height truck camper mounted on a pickup truck has about the same frontal area as towing a full sized trailer behind the truck.  You won't gain much in fuel mileage compared to towing a trailer.

If you're really concerned about fuel costs, look at the TrailManor hard sided fold up travel trailers.  They fold down for travel, reducing the wind resistance behind the tow vehicle.  TrailManor claims a car or truck will use 1 extra gallon per 100 miles towing them.

Or take another look at how much you'll actually spend on fuel versus your overall budget.  People on a limited time, one or two week vacation tend to travel vast distances to accomplish everything they want inside the limited time available to them.  People who spend significant amounts of time touring the country usually settle into a much more relaxed routine.  In reality, most experienced RVers put about 6000 miles per year on their RVs after the initial rush is over, settling into a pattern of staying in one place for longer periods of time instead of constantly moving from place to place.

The real fun is what you do between the times you're moving the RV from place to place.  Explore the local sights on your own schedule without worrying about how much you can accomplish before heading out to your next destination.  This includes seeing places like national parks where it's easier to set up the RV as a base camp and use the tow vehicle by itself to go sightseeing, which not only makes it easier to find parking spots but uses less fuel than moving the whole rig from place to place.

Stay for a week at a time instead of moving every couple of days and you'll not only save a significant amount of money on fuel and campground costs, but you'll have time to pursue your other life activities.  Even things like food shopping or doing laundry is easier when you don't have to rush through it to get it done before it's time to pack up and move again.

I have a 2012 1500 and tow a 24' Dutchmen that weighs ~5500# wet and I usually average somewhere near 12mpg. I consider that excellent. Not be a jerk, but I agree with the other poster, if mpg  is that important you may want to consider a tent or hotel. As for us, we enjoy being able to sleep in our own bed and bring the things we like. Not to mention visiting places that are far less expensive to visit in an RV. It's all a trade off.

aguablanco said:
I have a 2012 1500 and tow a 24' Dutchmen that weighs ~5500# wet and I usually average somewhere near 12mpg. I consider that excellent. Not be a jerk, but I agree with the other poster, if mpg  is that important you may want to consider a tent or hotel. As for us, we enjoy being able to sleep in our own bed and bring the things we like. Not to mention visiting places that are far less expensive to visit in an RV. It's all a trade off.

That last part is playing a role in my plans this spring/sumer. I want to go to Washington D.C., camp at Greenbelt, and ride the Metro into the Smithsonian museums every day I'm there. The major part of the trip is the fuel there and back. With prices staying below $2/gal It's gonna be a really inexpensive vacation.

I'm figuring 1420 miles at 9 MPG. Then just $16 a night for campsite and $5 a day for Metro pass. Museums are free.

srs713 said:
That last part is playing a role in my plans this spring/sumer. I want to go to Washington D.C., camp at Greenbelt, and ride the Metro into the Smithsonian museums every day I'm there. The major part of the trip is the fuel there and back. With prices staying below $2/gal It's gonna be a really inexpensive vacation.

I'm figuring 1420 miles at 9 MPG. Then just $16 a night for campsite and $5 a day for Metro pass. Museums are free.
Be careful in Greenbelt NP it is known to have a lot of ticks.

If mileage is really important to you (though I agree with previous posters that there are ways to keep fuel costs in check), take a look at A-frame units. Super easy to tow, hard sided, and about the size of the smallest pickup toppers. TrailManors are great too (we had one) but expensive. Also look at really nice popup campers. Toilets are available in some, and they are very roomy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gurrenteed
Back
Top Bottom