New to the forum, RV's, And America! Questions........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeFisher

Hi everyone, my name's Mike from England.

Myself and my girlfriend are in the process of renting an RV (Class C 25ft Moturis R25) in September 2008 with the aim of doing San francisco to Los angeles, San Diego and back to LA over 12 nights, so before then, and before i confirm the booking i have a few things to ask the experts.

I can see how RV'ing could escalate into seriously complicated if you're new to it! and therefore the rental companies can add on charges and taxes here, there and everywhere for people who don't fully understand what's involved. Would i be right?

Firstly i'm after some tips about the route from anyone who is familiar with this bit of coast. What i was thinking was maybe head inland to Yosemite etc. then back out and down past Big Sur, Santa Barbara etc. It looks really amazing.

Second- Generators. The RV company want to know whether i want to pay for generator use on return, at $3 plus tax per generator hour used! or $12 a night for unlimited.
Now i have no idea how much i'll be using the generator as yet so i thought maybe someone with some experience could give me rough guide for 2 people, 12 nights in September? i don't want a nasty surprise at the end obviously!

Any help would be appreciated.
We're brand new to this but really up for learning all about it in the next few months so we can make the most of our trip.

Thanks

Mike Fisher

Hi Mike, and welcome Boyo as we say on the other side of the Severn Bridge. You'll get lots of help here; Just remember we get up 5-8 hours later than you, and some folks might be working or in transit during our day.

Rental companies usually spell out the add-ons and taxes, so they shouldn't be a surprise. If they haven't already done so, ask them for it all in writing (or an email) so you understand what they are.

Yosemite is a great place to visit. My suggestion would be to leave the RV in their assigned parking lot and take the park shuttle in. The trip down the coast, taking in Big Sur, is spectacular. Just be aware of how far it is from Yosemite to the coast and allow for it in your trip planning. If you've been to and liked the coastline around the Gower Peninsula, you're in for a treat.

Generator usage will be a function of whether or not you use campgrounds with full hookups, or boondock (wild camp). If you're hooked up to electricity every night, it's unlikely you're going to put many, if any, hours on the generator. If OTOH you boondocked every night and ran the batteries down, you'd need to run  the generator several hours a day to recharge the batteries.

Hi again,

Thats great, gives me more of an idea about the usage. i think i'll go with the $3 per hour option on return then as we'll be at parks most of the time.
With regard to miles, the yosemite trip would add near enough 450 miles on to the journey so a big decision but something i think i'll decide on based on cost at the time.

Have you heard much about IdeaMerge as a RV rental Broker? The service looks pretty professional, comprehensive and well-priced. No horror stories i hope?

Thanks for the speedy response. No doubt i'll be coming back with endless little questions about RV's in the next months!

Mike

Mike,

I hadn't heard about IdeaMerge until I read your message. I just looked at their web site and it appears they're merely a go-between that charges you for something you could do yourself; Why not contact the rental companies directly yourself? We have a few listed here. Cruise America, Bates and El Monte are the ones we hear most about.

Whichever one you choose, please be sure to let us know how the experience was; This will be of benefit to others who blaze the trail behind you.

No doubt i'll be coming back with endless little questions about RV's in the next months!

Be sure to do that; Someone here will have an answer for your question. Meanwhile, be sure to check out our library of articles by clicking the Library button in the toolbar above.

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the RV Forum and thanks for joining us.  Please look around, ask questions, check out the library, and join in on any of the ongoing discussions.  I see Tom has already given you some good tips.

MikeFisher said:
Hi everyone, my name's Mike from England.

Firstly i'm after some tips about the route from anyone who is familiar with this bit of coast. What i was thinking was maybe head inland to Yosemite etc. then back out and down past Big Sur, Santa Barbara etc. It looks really amazing.  

A must-stop along that route include Monterey and its amazing aquarium.  Carmel is quaint, but almost to the point of being a bit twee.  The Big Sur Coast is world class but a bit of a white-knuckle trip, you will be southbound on the precipice side of the road.   If you, or your passenger does not like heights you might want to go inland a bit and take US101.  Morro Bay is nice scenic stop.  

On the way to Santa Barbara, Solvang is a Danish village transported to California, touristy as hell but then you are tourists, no?   ;)  A nice side camping experience is Lake Cachuma on San Marcos Pass Road (CA 154) between Solvang and Santa Barbara -- a forested lakeside with full hookups or dry camping sites.  SB is just over the hill maybe 25 miles.  

LA is problematic for RVs.   Not quite as populous as Greater London but close.   I would motel it in in Santa Monica and take in the delights of West LA like the Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach, the Getty Museums, and maybe a Paramount Museum tour in Hollywood.   The Sunset Trip is worth an evening of clubbing -- House of Blues, Improv, Comedy Store and a whole bunches of music clubs.   A great spot for a nightcap is the Yamashiro Castle in Hollywood -- sit on the porch with your drink and see the lights of LA stretching out to the Pacific 25 miles south.

Mission San Juan Capistrano on the way south to San Diego is a must stop, nicely positioned for a lunch stop -- try the Walnut Tree next to the Mission.

San Diego is a forum thread all by itself.  For one thing it is the home base of the US Pacific Fleet and they always have ship tours available.  Musts include the Wild Animal Park, Old Town, Star of the Sea, La Jolla and its jewel like Scrips Oceanographic Aquarium.   Lots of good, well sited RV parks tho a bit pricey.  

You will be touring CA in our warm season, inland temps can be in the 90s or low 100s F.  The coast will be very pleasant tho, around the 70s.

Yosemite is a three day trip minimum.  One day to, one day there, and one day back to your coastal route.   Is it worth it.  Yes.  Tom's recommendation of camping outside and busing in is good.  There are campgrounds in the park but with no hookups.  The weather will be quite clement, days low 80s nights low 50s or less.  

San Francisco.  Do it with out the RV.  It is tough enough with a small sedan.  Taxis, unlike LA, are plentiful and reasonable and the public transit is excellent.  It is a great town for restauranting.

Wow, that's one comprehensive response, thanks!

You have basically summed up our entire trip and what we want to to do with it so thats excellent advice! Much appreciated.
It's good to get the little local tips over the 'brochure' stuff.

Thanks,

Mike

Just another point.

I see what you're saying about IdeaMerge but as far as i can see it's actually discounted to go through them. I tried a quote with Cruise America and Moturis directly and both came out quite a bit more.
Cruise America seemed inflexible with drop off locations and wanted $2505
Moturis direct ask $2214

Looks like i'll actually be paying $1503 in total,  with my extra insurance, miles and convenience kits etc. which i though was pretty good? Taking into consideration its nearly all transport and accommadation for 12 nights for 2 people (Especially thanks to the exchange rate!)

Anyone let me know what you think

Mike

Mike,

I've never rented a motorhome, so can't intelligently comment on the absolute numbers, although $1500 doesn't sound bad at all if it includes everything. I was surprised to hear you can get it cheaper through a middle man; That's good to know for others who follow you. Do your rates get fixed, either in pounds or dollars? If you wait a while, you'll probably get an even better exchange rate (perish the thought).

its nearly all transport and accommadation for 12 nights for 2 people

What accommodation are you getting? Isn't the motorhome your accommodation? It's highly unlikely that price includes any campground fees. I assume the 'transportation' is from the airport to the rental place when you arrive, and back to the airport when you return.

Sorry, i meant the RV is both our transport and accomodation costs! instead of hiring cars and hotels so we have some spare cash for Campsites/restaurants/sightseeing etc.

And yes it's a fixed rate thing so the way things are looking....we'll see

Thanks for the response, i think we're going to get on and make a definite booking shortly

Mike

Tom said:
Generator usage will be a function of whether or not you use campgrounds with full hookups, or boondock (wild camp). If you're hooked up to electricity every night, it's unlikely you're going to put many, if any, hours on the generator. If OTOH you boondocked every night and ran the batteries down, you'd need to run  the generator several hours a day to recharge the batteries.

On our last trip we went with a plan that had a similar rate for unlimited use and it worked out for us because of the amount of time we needed to run the roof air conditioning unit. We were traveling through the west during the summer, and the air conditioning unit from the engine just couldn't keep up.

If you have the time, there's some great whale watching in Monterey.

As noted, Big Sur is spectacular but not for the faint-hearted. In addition to the heights, it can also be extremely windy.

I'd consider Yosemite a two-day minimum stay, but I like to hike up close to things to get pictures. You could see the highlights in a day if you were ambitious. Definitely use the park's bus service - driving is slow and parking is very limited.

MikeFisher said:
Just another point.

I see what you're saying about IdeaMerge but as far as i can see it's actually discounted to go through them. I tried a quote with Cruise America and Moturis directly and both came out quite a bit more.
Cruise America seemed inflexible with drop off locations and wanted $2505
Moturis direct ask $2214

Looks like i'll actually be paying $1503 in total,  with my extra insurance, miles and convenience kits etc. which i though was pretty good? Taking into consideration its nearly all transport and accommadation for 12 nights for 2 people (Especially thanks to the exchange rate!)

Anyone let me know what you think

Mike

Have you taken a look at the offerings of El Monte Rents ?   It is one of the biggest rental agencies , one with its HQ in the Los Angeles area and offices all over the country.

There are a lot of great state parks in California. Many have single nights available on a first-come-first-serve basis. Some are right on the beach.

If you decide you want to visit the mission at San Juan Capistrano, you might consider San Mateo Campground at San Onofre State Beach. It's a close drive or you can walk out to the road and take the bus in.

In San Diego, don't forget the awesome San Diego Zoo, the rest of Balboa Park (worth just parking and walking around), the USS Midway (AWESOME shipboard museum). You might also want to find a campground or parking spot on the beach and just sit and enjoy the Pacific, especially at sunset.

And if you visit Solvang (which I love and which many of us southern Californians think of fondly as touristy visit in our younger days), please do yourself a favor and stop in Buellton at Pea Soup Andersons restaurant. I don't know what the cost is now, but we used to get all-you-can-eat soup, bread, and wine for, I think, about $6 (probably about $12 now?).

And if you find somewhere that you like while you're traveling, stop and enjoy.

Wendy
Weist Lake, Brawley, CA

Hi everyone,

excellent, thanks for the advice!

The problem now is refining where we do and don't  go and how long for to make the most of it all. that pea soup place sounds excellent!

If anyone is interested, We booked the RV (25ft Moturis 4/5 berth with 4KW generator) for 10 nights  plus insurance, convenience kit and 1200 mile package for $1333.20 in the end ( i prefer to look at it like ?666.6 myself!) which seemed pretty reasonable indeed.
That includes shuttle transfer from certain hotels so we're having a look at those at the moment.

Anyone know of any good dvd's or websites that give instruction on the do's, don'ts and how-to's of RV'ing? i'd like to go well prepared!

Thanks again

Mike

wendycoke said:
...the USS Midway (AWESOME shipboard museum).
The Maritime Museum of San Diego near the Broadway pier is also great, especially if you are a fan of sailing vessels.

You can wander around on the Star of India, an iron hulled clipper ship and the world's oldest active ship, or the HMS Surprise, a replica of an 18th century Royal Navy frigate that was used to film Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. They also have a 70s era Soviet diesel-electric sub, the B-39. It's one of the largest conventionally powered subs ever constructed. Then there's the Berkeley, the Californian, the Medea, and the Pilot.

On board the Berkeley there's a fantastic museum exhibit with scores of great ship models of all types, and the Pirates of the Pacific exhibit aboard the HMS Surprise is also a real treat. You can even go on a day sail aboard the 145 foot Californian.

Check them out at the Maritime Museum of San Diego.

MikeFisher said:
Hi everyone,

excellent, thanks for the advice!

The problem now is refining where we do and don't  go and how long for to make the most of it all. that pea soup place sounds excellent!

Well it is on the way down, just an hour's travel north of Santa Barbara in Buellton.  (The movie Sideways was filmed there.  See it for scene setting.  Cute film too.)  There is a large and fairly decent RV park in the town called Flying Flags.  http://www.flyingflags.com/

If anyone is interested, We booked the RV (25ft Moturis 4/5 berth with 4KW generator) for 10 nights  plus insurance, convenience kit and 1200 mile package for $1333.20 in the end ( i prefer to look at it like ?666.6 myself!) which seemed pretty reasonable indeed. That includes shuttle transfer from certain hotels so we're having a look at those at the moment.

A good size, do-able, albeit not exactly handy, in a metropolitan area and decent accomodations in camp.

Anyone know of any good dvd's or websites that give instruction on the do's, don'ts and how-to's of RV'ing? i'd like to go well prepared!

Yeah, a website called RVforum.net -- here in short.  ;D  Scan our library especially the sections for newbies.  See also the checklists -- they distill a lot of experience gained by members.

Back
Top Bottom