New to the forum... Shopping for a A Class... Love your help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mburns

Hi there,

My wife and I would like to stop camping out of the back of our SUV, and get out of our tent. We would like to step it up to an RV. This would be our first. We would love your opinion on what you think would be a good choice for us. We do not have kids, so the RV is only for us two (with occasional guests). We have a ski boat, so we need an RV that can tow atleast 3,500 lbs with no problem. We would like to be at 28-30', and probably in the $60-80,000 range (after negotiations). I started looking at the Winnebago Sightseer's.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks a lot.

Hi, and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

You took the words out of my mouth.  :eek:  I highly recommend the Sightseer as an entry level into the wonderful world of Class A ownership.  I have owned a Sightseer 30B (sold it because my daughter was bringing her boyfriend with us on our trips.....unit was flat too small for that!  :D), and my brother currently owns a Sightseer 29R....he loves his.

The Ford chassis is 26K GVCR (includes towed vehicle), and the Workhorse is similar.  In no instance is there less than 3,500 towing capability on either chassis.

The main thing is construction quality...and Winnebago has developed a technique over the last 50 years of quality sidewall to roof construction.

Welcome aboard Mburns!

The kind of money you are talking will buy a very nice used RV in about any category you choose.  Particularly in today's market.  And, the towing capacity shouldn't be a problem.  As you move through the looking/buying process and even after your acquisition is made you will surely have questions.  Post them here and you should receive plenty of input.  Don't be shy, join in any discussions you wish.

We are glad to have you join us.

Yeah - ditto on the Winnebago recommendation of Mark's.   Quality product and they are still a viable corporation.  It's very nice to have you join our merry band!  Welcome.

I will get some noses out of joint here but I still love Coachmen for the bang for the dollar.  I have a 99 Santara with 2 slides corian counters 7k gen and will put the quality up against any of the other brands.  I think they sell more than others and thats why you here more "issues" than other brands.  Remeber that they all use the same basics, ford or gm chassis, atwood waterheaters, ect.  You should be able to get what you want for a lot less money than you think as well.  If you want new you can get a 30 footer all day long for 80k.  Beware of the massive depreciation over the first couple years though.  You can get a few year old one for in the 30's.

Thanks for all the great info, and the "welcome aboard's". This looks like a great forum, and I look forward to checking it all out shortly. By the way, does this forum have a classifieds area? If so, I haven't seen it.

by the by, please keep the comments coming.

I have a 1999 Country Coach Magna for sell.  I just bought a 2006 CC Magna if you have any interest go to this website for info and pictures call or email  if any guestions

http://1999countrycoachmagna.homestead.com/

Tomtownod - Nice coach, but 40' is entirely too large for us, especially as our first RV. With towing our ski boat, that would be a 63' rig. Ouch!

John - Thanks.

My first rig was a 24ft Tioga class C. It was a nice rig that served us for 3 years.
2 years ago we upgraded to a 01 32v Southwind single slide. We love this rig. Not too big...we can still get in our favorite spots no problem.
It drives way easier than the 24ft'r.
I tow a 21ft boat or our jeep no problem.
You should be able to find a nice A class for 40K or less. Keep in mind as you add more length and slides you may loose ccc and for sure power to weight.
I drove 35foot gassers with 2 slides that couldn't get out of their own way empty.  Thus our 32v single slide...its got plenty of power and will tow 5000lbs and carry
the crew and all our stuff.
Good luck in your search. 

Mblaster - Thanks a lot, I'll check out the Southwind's. I'm assuming it's a gasser.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their comments, and help.

Hi There;

Welcome to the RV Forum!  Did you ever find the Class A that you were looking for?  If not, there is a low mileage 2006 Coachmen Class A listed on this forum worth looking at.  All of the details are noted with the price.

Good luck, 

Back
Top Bottom