New to Winnebago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BethT46

I recently sold my faithful Bigfoot Travel Trailer and moved into the world of Big Rigs. My choice was a 2003 Itasca Horizon 32TD, the smallest diesel pusher that I was able to find in a price range that I could afford. Mileage is a low 27000 miles, with 250 hours on the diesel generator.
The coach appears to be in excellent condition for an eight year old unit. I have driven about 500 miles...freeway, in town traffic, winding two-lane mountain roads to 5700 ft elevation.....and am becoming more comfortable and less intimidated with handling something 3 times the size of what I was used to.
There have been a couple of mechanical issues already, and I worry that I may have taken on something more complex and expensive to operate than I can handle. The dealer has been very helpful with followup service and answering my many questions. As I gain experience, I'm sure things will get easier. I'm currently in the process of reading the suitcase of manuals that came with the coach, which is an overwhelming task. I learn a little more each day.
I would enjoy hearing from other Horizon (or any Winnebago owners of similar coaches) and hearing about your experiences....good or bad. I need a little encouragement at this point and perhaps some reassurance that I haven't bitten off way more than I can chew!

Hi Beth - welcome to The RV Forum and welcome to the Winnebago family!

Congratulations on getting the first 500 miles out of the way - I think those are the toughest.  For us (Jane drives the morning shift), we weren't totally and absolutely relaxed behind the wheel until we had about 15,000 miles on the clock. 

You for sure have taken on more maintenance expense - the engines are larger require more oil during an oil change, other fluids need to be changed (axles), there are air brakes to be serviced (assuming you have air brakes), etc, etc.  Having said that, you have a whole lot of vehicle to enjoy.  You can tow quite a load, the noise is at the rear, your fridge and bath facilities are just a short walk away, you have a genny standing by, and on and on.  For us it's the absolutely best way to travel.

You are already familiar with the house stuff since you had a travel trailer, basically you just need to come up to speed with the chassis.  Stuff will break once in a while - you deal with it and move on.  You have purchased a good product backed by a good company.

Welcome to The RV Forum Beth.

As you learn more you are likely to have some questions.  That is where we shine....................... Our library is chocked full of usefull information.  If you don't find what you are looking for there or by searching previous discussions you can bet someone here has the answer.  All that you need to do is post here and we will get back to you.

Enjoy!

Welcome aboard!

Thank you, John and Geodrake, for your words of encouragement. There are so many features I love about this coach already. Winnebago's reputation for building reliable products was one of the main reasons I chose an Itasca. I have already found a wealth of information here in the forum that answered some of my questions. And yes, each new bit of knowledge seems to bring up even more questions!

Congradulations Beth. I would not be concerned that you have bitten off more than you can chew, knowledge and experiance will make you feel more confident as you go. I can't speak for the diesel portion because we own a gasser and are aware that the diesel is a bit more involved but it definately has it's benefits as John mentioned above. Assuming your Horizon is on a Frieghtliner maybe you would like to attend one of their camps, I hear great reviews; http://freightlinerchassis.com/Owner-Information/camp-freightliner/menu-id-98.html .
Here's to enjoyable travels!
Dar

Great info from Dar. I attended a Camp Freightliner a few years ago and loved it. Even if you are not real mechanically inclined you learn a ton of useful stuff. 

I see Camp Freightliner has a couple of classes in early August in Oregon....I just might be able to make it up there for one of them. Thanks again for all the info.

The driving part is a little intimidating right now, but I know my confidence will improve as I rack up more miles. I come to this with about 40,000 miles experience hauling a trailer, which helps a little.
I had absolutely no experience with diesel engines before this, so learning the systems and how they work together is taking some time and study. I'm still figuring out where everything is and how it works and what I need to maintain on a regular basis.
I've had a few problems mechanically already....this coach probably sat for awhile before my purchase and so the engine's fuel to air ratio was giving me alot of black smoke...that seems to be improved now after 500 miles. The pyrometer registers EGT up near the top of the green (safe) zone, which is about 1000 degrees, and under load it runs frequently into the yellow and occasionally into the red (about 1200). This worried me because I had no point of reference. I've since learned that maybe this is "normal" for this coach. I've been in touch with the Banks people down in Azusa and will probably install the Banks system within the next few months, which should give me better mpg, lower EGT and more power towing my truck. I'd like to tow something smaller, but right now the truck is what I have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gators70
Back
Top Bottom