New-Used Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rancher Will

We often read on this site questions from someone concerned with buying a used truck to pull an RV comparing the cost with a new rig.  There are price considerations that I rarely hear discussed.

As a rancher and businessman I have personally purchased eleven pickup trucks over the years. My employees have purchased numerous others also. We all know that there are numerous options when buying a new truck that involve price, other considerations including type of use, etc., even comparing used truck prices with new truck prices.

For example I have always purchased Dodge and RAM trucks since 1960, both gas and diesel models. Among each size, 1500, 2500 and 3500 sizes, there are different models available. And, there is a significant price difference between models.

When purchasing a new RAM truck I have always selected the commercial model, called TRADESMAN (now) model, rather than the more "upscale" models. The difference is as much as $20,000 difference between the price of my new 2016 model RAM 3500 HD 4WD and the top of the line model of the same truck. The Tradesman model has everything that we need without the fancy "bells and whistles" that we don't need or even want.

Comparing the prices of late model , used RAM trucks, I often notice that I can buy a new RAM Tradesman model for less cost than the used price of a 2 to 4 years old RAM of higher end style.

This may also be the facts when considering the purchased price of used compared to new for any other brand vehicle.

I found the same thing when shopping for a used truck about a year ago. I wasn't concerned so much about the brand of truck as I like them all. I wanted a gas engine as that suits my needs, and I didn't want a bunch of touchscreen stuff because I feel it's a driving distraction. (at least for me). I ended up with a 2014 F-250 XLT. It had all the equipment I needed, but not a bunch of extra fluff. It was priced considerably lower than the Larimie's, Lariat's, etc. The previous owner had installed aftermarket wheels, better tires, stainless tip on exhaust, and "chrome" covers on the sidemirrors. That would have been an extra cost if factory installed, but since it was aftermarket, it wasn't included in the price. The dealer just looks at the year, trim level, etc. and doesn't really care about the minor add-ons.

Certainly true, but I enjoy my "creature comforts" in my vehicles. Soundproofing, excellent sound system, a wide range of seat adjustment to accommodate me & the wife, etc. I'm a sucker for those high trim models!

What you say is true, but apple to apple comparison, i.e. 2 year old Tradesman vs new will still be less expensive.

Personally, when I was shopping, the one requirement was dual auto temp control.  This is only available in Lariat or higher models. 

If your minimum requirements are less, you can certainly save money and gain payload with lower trim levels.

That certainly worked in our case. We purchased our current ride, a clean five year old Ram diesel, for what we expected to pay for a well used gasser. It is a 2wd which we wanted, plain build in a nondescript color. Sure, carpet, cruise and pdl would be nice but the difference in price bought a lot of fuel. Resale value is low but by the time we are ready to part ways it won't be worth much anyway.

RoyM said:
Sure, carpet, cruise and pdl would be nice

Not sure what "pdl" is, but things like carpet (properly molded for your floor lines) and cruise control can be added aftermarket too if those are features you'd want.  It would probably be cheaper than the new factory prices for the same options too.

Back
Top Bottom