New Years 3rd Annual Catalina SP Rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd like some opinions of the best  and fastest routes from Salt Lake to Tucson this time of year.  We will probably leave home on Dec 22 or 23 at the latest.  We have a stop in ID for possibly 2 nights and then south at best possible speed!!

Also we will need to dump and take on Propane before camping at the park so suggestions would be helpful.

TIA,

Jim

All things considered, I'd take I-15 to Las Vegas/Henderson, US 93 to Flagstaff. I-40E to US 93 turnoff to Wickenburg, US 60E to Surprise, south on AZ Loop 303 to I-10 to Tucson. You'll pass 3 Flying J's where you can get propane; Flagstaff, Phoenix and Eloy(Exit 208). The Flying J's have dumps or you can wait til you get to Catalina SP which has a dump.

Bernie,

Thanks, I was not looking forward to the back side of UT in the winter so was leaning the way you suggest.  We will probably get there about the 28th +/- a day or so.  If we get to St George in the afternoon, we will stop at the Elks lodge and try to see Steve and Jane Harrie before pushing on through LV.

Jim Godward said:
Bernie,

Thanks, I was not looking forward to the back side of UT in the winter so was leaning the way you suggest.  We will probably get there about the 28th +/- a day or so.  If we get to St George in the afternoon, we will stop at the Elks lodge and try to see Steve and Jane Harrie before pushing on through LV.

Jim

We'd prefer earlier than later ;D, drive safe.

We're looking forward to seeing you all. Probably get there on the 29th or 30th.
Just a question - I think Catalina SP has quiet hours and prohibits burning, so maybe the outside TV and fire plan wouldn't work? (May not matter to us as we're pretty much constitutionally unable to stay awake that late unless it's really loud.)

BernieD said:
All things considered, I'd take I-15 to Las Vegas/Henderson, US 93 to Flagstaff. I-40E to US 93 turnoff to Wickenburg, US 60E to Surprise, south on AZ Loop 303 to I-10 to Tucson. You'll pass 3 Flying J's where you can get propane; Flagstaff, Phoenix and Eloy(Exit 208). The Flying J's have dumps or you can wait til you get to Catalina SP which has a dump.

Bernie,

I hope you meant Kingman in your above statement where ever you have Flagstaff.  ;D  ;D

Don,

I was wondering about that as the last time I drove it, 1982, you turned south after you climbed out of Kingman and NOT Flagstaff.  Fortunately the mapping programs know the way even if Bernie does not!!    ;D

If we were not trying to make it to Tucson, we would go to flagstaff and see a HS buddy and his wife-also HS, and then stop at your place to see some college chums in Prescott.  May do that while in AZ anyway. 

Alaskansnowbirds said:
I hope you meant Kingman in your above statement where ever you have Flagstaff.  ;D  ;D

Don

Whoops, thanks. Thinking cap wasn't on. Was picturing Kingman while typing Flagstaff :(

Pierat said:
Just a question - I think Catalina SP has quiet hours and prohibits burning, so maybe the outside TV and fire plan wouldn't work? (May not matter to us as we're pretty much constitutionally unable to stay awake that late unless it's really loud.)

Most of us only make it until the ball drops in NYC (10PM AZ time) and we are a fairly quiet group so noise should not be an issue. We will not have any open fires as I don't believe they are allowed. We will use propane heaters and propane "fire pits".

If it is too cold, windy or raining then we go to plan B.

ken

Jim Godward said:
Don,

I was wondering about that as the last time I drove it, 1982, you turned south after you climbed out of Kingman and NOT Flagstaff.  Fortunately the mapping programs know the way even if Bernie does not!!    ;D

If we were not trying to make it to Tucson, we would go to flagstaff and see a HS buddy and his wife-also HS, and then stop at your place to see some college chums in Prescott.  May do that while in AZ anyway.

Would love to have you stop by. Maybe we can get together after Quartzsite.

Jim Godward said:
Don,

Jim

Bernie knows the way even if he can't keep the names of the cities straight. US 93 takes you to Kingman, not Flagstaff :-\ :-\

Thanks, Ken. We're looking forward to seeing you all again.

We drove down to Casa Grande (about halfway from Phoenix to Tucson) from Congress last week. We had previously driven I-10 through Phoenix, down to Tucson. This time, we took 303 to I-10, then I-10 to 51st Avenue, then drove south on 51st Avenue, which bends around from southbound to eastbound and passes south of the South Mountains, eventually turning into Riggs Road and joining back up with I-10 south of Chandler. Although it is not a fast road, there was very little traffic and we liked it far better than driving through Phoenix on the freeway. Not many places to pull off if you need to, though.

Pierat,

I've taken that route when there is a lot of traffic. If you want to get off I10 sooner exit at 99th Ave and go south to Broadway. Left on Broadway to 51st Ave Right (south ) on 51st.

Broadway is a two lane road, b ut with very little traffic.

We are at Happy Trails just off the 303 on Bell Rd.

ken

I called Catalina today to confirm that both Campgrounds are open.

We plan on being in the south part of Campground B, but none of the sites are too far away.

Also, I am still looking for more Propane heaters (tank top).

See you

ken

Ken:

We don't have heaters but we can contribute about 1/2 tank of propane.

Daisy

Daisy,

We have a "campfire in a Can"  but no propane bottle so maybe our cords will fit and we can pair up.  But if it gets too cold,  I'm inside as I hate the cold.  Can't wait to see you.  We will arrive 12/26.

Betty and Terry

Betty I am with you if it is too cold I am inside.  Don't like the cold and that is what we have had the most of this fall and winter.

Back
Top Bottom