New Years 3rd Annual Catalina SP Rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wendy, thanks, I was watching a movie when I saw the sunlight on the mountains and had to get a few shots.  The first one didn't come at as nice as it looked, but when I checked the EXIF data, it was shot at 1/13 sec, handheld, so was a little shaky.

Jeff, there were a couple open sites near us yesterday, but they come and go.  Get here as early as you can

Jim, yes, I've been paying attention :)

Jeff,

At 8AM there is one pull through on the south side of Campground B. People leave every day and the place has been getting closer to full every night as we get nearer to New Years.

There are usually more sites open on the north side than the south side of B. If you arrive early you should be fine.

The site next to us (pull thru, site 19) is scheduled to leave today.

We will be out when you get here, should be back by 4 or 5PM.

ken

All,

When we drove from Las Vegas to Catalina State Park we dove over Hoover Dam.  As you may know they are building a bridge that will bypass the dam.  Attached is a picture of the new bridge that I took as we drove over the dam.  This is its present state of completion as of 12/09.

JerryF

Attachments

• Bridge.jpg
    Bridge.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 43
Thanks but no thanks. That sucker is way too high. I'll stay on the dam.

Chicken Wendy

Wendy, I'm not looking forward to it, however I hear there's going to be a wide shoulder on each outside edge which may help some.  I guess it really isn't any higher than say the high span of the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge, but I use the inside lane on it!  ;)

Jim, I was driving, he was snapping photos, and there were a lot of tourists on the dam so we were creeping along at 5 mph.  ;D

ArdraF

Ardra,

I think you might have missed the point. Jerry said "When we drove from Las Vegas to Catalina State Park we dove over Hoover Dam." Diving off that dam could be hazardous to your health. ;D ;D

Wendy you may not have a choice if you go that way because once the bridge is open they will probably close the road over the dam.

I re-sized the photos to upload.

The third photo is from Google Earth (taken about 6 years ago before Campground B was completed. I added names to the photo.

ken

Attachments

• DSCF0088.JPG
    DSCF0088.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF0089.JPG
    DSCF0089.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Catalina State Park3.jpg
    Catalina State Park3.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 61
Jim, I REALLY missed the point on Jerry's dive!  Normally I'm the one who spots typos but I sure didn't see that one!  I'm glad he's tough and survived it...

Ken, the Google Earth map with all our names and locations is really neat.  Jerry will probably be asking you how you did it!

It's been a fun and relaxing time here at Catalina.  Thanks to Ken and Sheila for setting it all up.  Yesterday was fun with a nice tour up Sabino Canyon and then the drive and lunch at the top of COLD Mt. Lemmon.  We celebrated New Year's tonight on New York City time.

Happy New Year one and all!

ArdraF

Glad you guys had a good time.  My guess on the map.  Capture screen, load into Paint or some other graphic program, then just put nams in, swing the angle and save.

We celebrated on AZ time last night, so beat you guys by 2 hours. 

PancakeBill said:
Glad you guys had a good time.  My guess on the map.  Capture screen, load into Paint or some other graphic program, then just put nams in, swing the angle and save.

When we complemented Ken on the map, he described it as listed but was using Picasa

The overhead shot of the park is from Google. With the view you want on the screen, just do "save as".
I then edited in Picasa adding the names using text.
Very easy. I thought it was kind of a neat way to remember the 09/10 rally.

Using two rigs for the New Years party seemed to work well. I don't kow how crowded Russ's coach was but we had seating for all that came. Some when back and forth between the coaches.

I was thinking as the week went on the this might be our last rally here because the park is getting too popular, but all that came made it in to the south side of B and the there was always some space on the north side. Also, Chuck found out that there will be a reservation system in place by next year which will make it easier.

Hope all had a fun New Years Eve and wish all a great 2010.

ken

Here are a couple of quick snapshots from the afternoon. Russ, I couldn't resist. Special thanks to Ken & Sheila and Russ for opening their coaches. We had a great time. Happy 2010 to all!

Attachments

• RVF-gp-r-9682jpg1.jpg
    RVF-gp-r-9682jpg1.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 47
  • RVF-gp-pt-9685jpg1.jpg
    RVF-gp-pt-9685jpg1.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 47
  • Russ-9686jpg1.jpg
    Russ-9686jpg1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom