Newb in TX - Weight Distribution / Sway Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twxsby

We are about to buy a 2016 Coachman 310BHDS LE Travel Trailer.  I have a 2013, 2500 Suburban, that has a 9,400 Max Tow rating, and 1000 lb hitch capacity.
I am looking to get some advice regarding the hitch setup for the truck.  Are there any brands that I should avoid?  Should I buy from the same dealer I buy the trailer from?
This will be the first of many questions coming from a first time Travel Trailer owner.  Thanks in advance.
Tom in Texas

A few youtube videos will give you a good lesson on how WDH's work. From there you can decide which style you like best.

Some will say you can get by without one, but considering the wind we have round these parts I won't tow without one as they work with sway control too. Might as well get 2-4-1.

As they are sold by trailer weight capacity, get a WDH to handle your next trailer, or buy a new WDH with each upgrade in weight.

Where you buy is up to you - we bought our first one from the dealer when we bought the TT. Being my first experience with it, I decided it was best to have the dealer set it up. After a couple of trips, however, it was obvious they did a lousy job and I had to completely reset it. Another couple of trips and I found that the ball was loose. So, having the dealer set it up does not necessarily mean it will be done properly. When we bought a new TT, I bought the new hitch (heavier model) online and set it up myself. It was not difficult.

Both of mine have been the Equal-i-zer brand and I love them.

Dealer set up both of mine. First was close,  but I redid it to get "right". The second wasn't even close.  To the tech's defense though,  it was a cold rainy day and he said he knew I would redo it after I loaded the trailer anyway.  The oneI have now is a Reese Dual-Cam and it does a great job once set up correctly.  It's really hard for a dealer to get it right because the trailer isn't loaded. The best they can do is load up the tanks to simulate a loaded trailer,  but I'm sure most won't even bother with that.

Setting up our Equalizer hitch was one thing CW got completely right. The guy who installed it knew what settings to use just by looking at the truck and the trailer. When I bought a new TV, I altered the hitch with a new drop bar (the new truck is taller) but the rest of the settings were still on point.

They are easy to adjust once you understand how they work.

I have a 30 ft Kodiak TT bought it from my brother who was towing with the same model truck I have:  GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali 6.6 Diesel.  He tells me- "eh, you don't need no stinking w/d hitch"  OK.... so first few times I towed this TT (loaded about 9500 lbs - way under my rating) the truck and trailer porpoise constantly down the road, a little sway in wind and I thought, heck no.  Not bouncing down the road anymore and had a local RV dealer install 1200 pd w/d hitch.  The difference is startling.  Didn't do the sway bars, Im 53 ft going down the road with long wheel base so if windy I slow down.  Big rigs don't suck me in with my weight but the hitch has capability for sway bars if I change my mind. 

Your traveling will be so much more enjoyable with the w/d hitch - why have freedom that is not stress free?

good luck!! Kim

Back
Top Bottom