Newb: water leaks at threaded joints

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wepeterson47

I've got a couple leaks. I've tightened them but they're still leaking and I don't want to break stuff with over tightening the plastic.  Is there some sort of RV or plumbing joint compound for rvs/plastic or should I tighten further?  Please advise.  Thanks in advance.

Wep

Open one up AFTER turning off the water supply!!!. You may find a replaceable flat washer in them, not unlike a hose washer.

What sort of joint in your RV has screwed together fittings?  That's rather unusual in an RV, so am wondering what you are dealing with. In any case, the advice by the two previous posters are good for any PVC or ABS plastic threaded fitting.

Here is a quote from a blogger who had an unusual problem with water leaks.  http://daily-blog.rv-boondocking-the-good-life.com/2012/06/chasing-my-tail-and-lighting-that.html

"Yup... The morons at Jayco installed COMPRESSION nipples into 1/2" NPT fittings on the water tank. Which... kinda makes me a BIGGER MORON for going to work with my  brain pan in Neutral and repeating their stupidity don't it? Especially considering that THEY made it work? :)

For those not familiar with plumbing; NPT threads are cut on a tapered tube, Compression are the same thread rate but cut into a straight tube... Trying to mix the two is Kinda the proverbial square peg in the round hole sort of a deal. It don't ever work... except for Jayco for the last eleven years... I can't even begin to explain that!"

Paul

I had that trouble with a new city water inlet. The fitting on the new inlet was straight thread, the fitting on the plastic line was tapered. Ended up getting a different fitting. It only leaked a drop or two at first, but got larger as time went by. When the water pump ran every 20 mins instead of once a day, I knew it was time to fix it.

Is it a plastic line with a rather cone shaped plastic fitting? inside is a flare of the plastic? I've also had one of those plastic flares go bad (too tight?) and had to cut the line and reflare.

I hate plumbing - it seems to REQUIRE a minimum of three trips to the hardware store...

Mike

Gary RV Roamer said:
What sort of joint in your RV has screwed together fittings?  That's rather unusual in an RV, so am wondering what you are dealing with.

My Hornet TT has lots of threaded joints.  Every "T" I have seen in it has threaded connections.

As previously stated.  Check for washers or flares.  A picture of the joint or one like it may be a big help here.

Gary RV Roamer said:
What sort of joint in your RV has screwed together fittings?  That's rather unusual in an RV, so am wondering what you are dealing with. In any case, the advice by the two previous posters are good for any PVC or ABS plastic threaded fitting.

All the fitting on faucets etc are threaded underneath and have a hand-tightened fitting from the end of the PEX piping, at least on my RV....

Inside the female threaded (pex?) fitting there was a rubber washer that was fairly shredded.  I polled it out with needle nose pliers.  Possible to get a new washer and somehow insert or am I looking at splicing in a new piece of hose and female fitting?

Sorry about typos I'm on the wife's iPad.  Also, don't have pict capability.

Wep

Check out this video.
It explains 3 different types of fittings and how to use them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P70I2irj6qc[ur]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P70I2irj6qc[/url]

Hope it helps!

Back
Top Bottom