Newbie - a general question about RV campgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JudyJB said:
Is your need to use a CPAP machine a handicap?  Getting a handicap sticker if you qualify might help.
How would needing to wear a device while you're sleeping translate into parking in handicapped spots?

Trivet said:
How would needing to wear a device while you're sleeping translate into parking in handicapped spots?

As a reasonable person I think that is an excellent question.

However look up the definition of "Handicap" in the law.. Many states it is ANYTHING that interferes with your normal enjoyment of life or your ability to do your job.  And yes COPD does just that. (One of the things a CPCP is prescribed for).  SO Legally... You may well be handicapped.

But for parking??????  Well perhaps.

Thankfully, I don't have COPD, but for persons that do have, walking any distance from vehicle to store can be a chore, especially in very cold, very hot, and very humid weather. For some of them, every step can literally make a difference.

If we're boondocking, which we do a lot, I use a Anker PowerHouse for my CPAP.  We've also used it for many other things, including running a floor fan overnight along with the CPAP.

removalservices said:
Hi Donn!

Thanks a ton for the input.  Yeah, I am looking into 1 or 2 solar panels, a controller, deep cycle battery, and an inverter.  What I neglected to mention is I also hope to run a small fan and small portable AC unit in addition to the CPAP.  So, I doubt that even two fully charged batteries would be be enough to power all three items for ~6-8 hours while I'm sleeping.  Thus, 20amp service seems to be the most reliable option.

Joe

John From Detroit said:
However look up the definition of "Handicap" in the law.. Many states it is ANYTHING that interferes with your normal enjoyment of life or your ability to do your job.  And yes COPD does just that. (One of the things a CPCP is prescribed for).  SO Legally... You may well be handicapped.
For handicapped parking, I think an impairment in mobility is required (including lung disease, i.e., COPD).

kdbgoat said:
Thankfully, I don't have COPD, but for persons that do have, walking any distance from vehicle to store can be a chore, especially in very cold, very hot, and very humid weather. For some of them, every step can literally make a difference.

But I'm pretty sure CPAP machines are most frequently prescribed for sleep apnea, not COPD.

If you have COPD and can't walk very far, then fine...get a placard so you can park close to the store because your lung disease affects your ability to walk.  But if you just have sleep apnea, especially sleep apnea that is controlled with a CPAP machine, not so much.

The state of Florida has restricted the issuance of handicapped placards the last few years. So much that with my lung transplant and rejection along with my limited heart percentages I probably wont be issued a renewal.  There is another condition for which a CPAP or more specifically an AVAP will be prescribed but it also would not qualify for a handicapped placard. That is when there is a problem with a patients diaphragm. During transplant my Vagus nerve was nicked. It signals the diaphragm to assist with breathing especially when sleeping.

I believe some private RV parks are starting not to allow folks sleeping in vehicles. I heard of one here in Colorado the other day. You might consider carrying a small tent with you and getting a tent site with a 110 electric hookup. They usually cost less than the RV sites. If you come across a park that requires a tent you can put one up but you wouldn?t have to sleep in it. If you are going to specific locations where the minor league games are, the public campgrounds may be limited. So this would give you another option.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom