Newbie... about to buy a Fleetwood Pace Arrow 34R

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phrank

My wife and I have talked about buying an RV for several years and have finally decided to do it.  We are retired, living in the Chicago area, and plan to use it mostly to get out of here in the winter.  We are considering putting it on a permanent type campsite for storage, which will allow us to use it on weekends and whenever without driving anywhere. We found a 2001 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 34R , which is like brand new... 28,000 miles, new tires & batteries. Owner used it to travel back and forth between Illinois and Florida. Comes with wheel covers and full fitted cover, since it was mostly stored. We have an older Honda Accord which we plan to tow on a 2-wheel dolly. 
Any warnings or advice appreciated. 

Instead of a dolly, get the kit for towing.  I have a 96 Accord, it tows beautifully.  The Pace is a nice unit, and you may decide to travel more and Chicago less.

We purchased o 2000 last year and love it.  Check tire dates you may need new ones.  Check plumbing for leaks and furnace and AC to be sure they work.

I need to hear more about the towing kit instead of a dolly.  I thought I would need to have the front (drive) wheels off the ground. What does the towing kit consist of? We have a 1993 Accord.  As to checking the tires... it has new tires and batteries. Tomorrow we are going to do the big "check everything before you buy" and probably bring it home on Tuesday. We are both glad we finally made the decision... now we just have a lot to learn. Thanks for the advice.

You need a tow setup, plus an auxiliary brake system.  Craigslist is your friend.  Way easier to tow.  Blue Ox, check them out, you will need to buy that part new, but likely to find the bars and brake system used.

There are lots of articles in our library; one is a check list of things to look at/check before purchasing an RV.  You can find it here  Take it with you to go over things.

Also, even tho you have been told or think that the tires are new; be sure and read the DOT code.  The DOT code tells you when the tires were manufactured.  If they are older than 5-7 years old, you will need to replace them.  RV tires usually rot before they wear out.  That info is also in the library.

Have fun on your new adventure.  Before we moved to California, we lived in Park Forest, Ill and my husband rode the train down town to work along the lake.  I must say, we don't miss the winters at all! :D

Marsha~

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom