Newbie fifthwheel buyer from Europe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mase

Hi everybody.
Sorry for my bad English, but i live in Finland. I just get back from my first road trip in US. I started to think about buying my own fifthwheel to USA. I would spend there abouth 1 month in winter and 2 in summer.  I have some stupid questions about Pick-ups and Fifthweels.
I would like to buy Fifthwheel and Pick-up so i can move trailer to RV camp and still drive around town looking with pick up. I am now thinking Ford F350 from -94 to 97 and 35'-40' fifthwheel from late 90 or early 2000 with slide outs.

So my questions are:

-How much is insurance (full coverage) to trailer and Ford?
-what other costs there are except insurance?
-How much it costs to storage those when i don't use them
-What brand should i look for trailer ( is there some quality, insulation, etz differences) ?
-Any other things what i should know or think?

I appreciate all answers and i sure i will ask more, but lets get started with these.

Markus Selanne

Greetings,
RV insurance is fairly cheap in the US.  Most insurance companies consider part time use, so your covered for 12 months but only pay maybe 4 months rates.
Insurance rates are based on home base location.  Big cities you will pay more than rural America.
Storage?  Can run from 75 to well over 300 dollars a month
Brand?  For the ages your considering I would be hard pressed to suggest any except maybe Alpenlite.  They are no longer in business, but were very well built.  In the years your looking at, maintenance and repair costs can eat up a lot of money.
You might want to look newer.
Budget is a big one.
For instance and to give you some idea of costs, my truck, a 2007 Dodge Ram dually with 36,000 miles and my 2005 36 foot Cedar Crek fifth wheel will go on sale this spring for around 50,000 dollars.
Older, might get you less,dollars, but again maintenance costs can kill you.
If you were to buy my rig, I could be willing to store it for you for less than the going rates and drive the truck some to keep it running well.  We could contract service on both for you too.

Thanks, but 50k$ is way over my budget. I also know that buying old cheap RV is like gambling, but i'm willing to take a chance. 

I would look at the payload rating on the older Ford that you are looking at. Are you looking at diesel or gas? If you are looking at the size 5Th wheel that you posted, it's going to be heavy and it's important that you understand all of your towing weight capacities.

Good luck, Stan

donuts said:
I would look at the payload rating on the older Ford that you are looking at. Are you looking at diesel or gas? If you are looking at the size 5Th wheel that you posted, it's going to be heavy and it's important that you understand all of your towing weight capacities.

Good luck, Stan

My no.1 option for pick-up is F350 pre '97, cause they are cheap, and reliable cars. I have had few of them back home and i know everything about those. Power Stroke diesel would be best, but cause i am not driving all year it can be even older with 460 gas engine. I think DRW model would be best.

I found this, why it seems so cheap for 2008? It looks quite good though

http://www.rvt.com/Heritage-One-FRANKLIN-2008-Jacksonville-FL-ID7294479-UX123944

Several comments on the RV

Looking up a price on NADA/rv, I found a Heritage and I found a Franklin.  They appear to be the same.  Both were apparently made for one model year only  The NADA price was $14,000  Dry wt is around 9600#, depending on model.  I would guess GVWR around 13,000#

It is a 3 axle FW, which usually means a heavier FW than this, but NADA said 3 axles, too.

The $45K new price would indicate this is a upper mid range unit.  Certainly not a top luxury camper, but certainly not an entry level camper, either.

The exterior is a very plain white.  No two tone.  No graphics.  Plain Jane.

The living area was missing the second recliner.  There was no entertainment anything in the living room, not even an empty cabinet.  It would be expected to have a cabinet with a TV, probably a DVR and certainly a radio / sound system.

The kitchen was VERY plain.  I think this is the first FW of any price I have seen with an apartment style gas stove, and not a built in. 

IT HAS A RESIDENTIAL TOILET!!!!!

It may be priced about right for the conditions I mentioned, but it certainly would need a thorough inspection from an RV expert before purchase.

To add to Preacher Gordon's comments, IMHO, this unit has been used as a park model, and not dragged from place to place. Indicators for me are the gas stove and the toilet. I do not believe the published weight is accurate at all, the triple axles give that away. No manufacturer is going to put more axles/tires than are necessary to accommodate the gross weight. For example: my trailer has triple axles, rated (by Dexter) for 8000 lb each and a 18000 lb GVWR.

"Parked model" trailers are very common in Florida. We have had at least several dozen in our park, but they are quickly being replaced with "true park models" (ie manufactured homes).

Thanks grashley and Alfa! Now that you guys told those things it is clear that this trailer is not for me. There is also very little of storage closets and it looks little too "cheap". And if they did those only for one year, that does not make good impression. I'v been searchin online and there is quite good chance to get decent mid, or late 00's trailer with 10k$, only problem is that you may have to travel a lot if you want to look and compare few of those.

Witch part of country is ideal for buying old FV, are hot sun with dry weather better than cold and rain, or othervice? Lot of moisture will rot wood structures and rust frame, but hot sun will burn paint, rubber seals and that way make water leaks? 

Sadly there is no ideal part of the country.  Away from the rust belt (NE) is probably best.  Condition is paramount and you might find a good one almost anywhere.  But the ages your looking at your going to find stuff like roof needing roof replacement, appliances shot, and if its a wood frame likely there will be some rot damage even if there was never a leak.  For the little amount of time your thinking of using it, and considering 150+ dollars a month storage, repairs to get it going each year, oil changes, batteries, filters, etc. I really think your really asking for a lot with such a limited budget.  2 thousand dollars a year just to get them services before a trip might not be out of line. Have you considered buying a new Motor Home, and put it in a rental pool when your not going to use it? Not ideal by a long shot, but at least you could possibly see some profit at the end of the year.

I was thinking like Dickie.  Have you looked at renting an RV each year?  Let someone else maintain, store, make payments, pay tax and insurance, etc.  Always have a fairly new and hopefully reliable unit to drive.  Pick up at different locations depending on the part of the country you wish to explore.

If you REALLY want to buy something, Texas may be a spot to shop.  There are MANY used trucks of all ages available there and some very large used truck sales lots.  There are also many RV dealers there.  PPL is strictly used consignment units, including a decent selection under $10,000 US.

Renting would be absolutely wisest thing to do, but... still your own is always your own. If we are there one or 2 mounts, 2 times a year we have to buy a lot of everyday needed staff again and again. Maybe i buy my own FW and rent the truck to pull it.
I need to think about this for a while. I also need to find in what states you can buy those and insurances with P.O.Box, or do somebody know?
I will come to Nevada for work with my family later in this year, and we are going to search local inventory and look what kind of fifthwheel could be good for us.

Finding a rental vehicle to tow ANYTHING here is an issue.  First, F350 are rarely available for rent except maybe for industrial customers.  Only smaller trucks are available, and the contract clearly excludes towing anything with the truck.

You will pay camp site rental fees whether you own or rent the RV.    The economic question is the cost to purchase, maintain, store and insure a truck / FW (or a MH?) compared to renting one for 1 or 2 months a year.  Simple maintenance / prep fees each year so it is ready when you arrive will likely pay at least 1 week rental.  Storage fees will cover a week or two, depending on location.  Your camper will always be where you left it - unless you pay to have it transported.  You could rent in Las Vegas one year, Colorado another year, Florida the next time, then California without having to drive from one place to another.  Remember also that pulling a camper from Florida to California is a 3,000 mile trip and will take a week or longer with NO sight seeing stops.  300 - 400 miles a day is about the most the body and mind can handle pulling a camper.  It is a lot different than a car.

Many "essentials" like sheets, cooking utensils, plates and flatware may also be rented with the camper.

I do not want to discourage you from coming to see our beautiful country.  Please come!  With your budget, I fear you will be quite unhappy with what you can buy and what it will cost to get into great shape and keep in great shape, especially if you are not here to do the work yourself.  I am sure your plans are not to come visit twice a year to work on your RV!

Actually, Enterprice truck rental is one of the companies that rents 3/4 and 1 ton pick ups with hitch for about $100 per day for longer period, and there is some other company's also. I appreciate your points and i will consider all of those.
And yes i will mostly come for vacation, not to work with RV, but i doesn't mean i could not maintain or do some small repairs to my RV. I have my own workshop here in Finland so i have some clue what it is to live with old car/RV. In Finland, almost every family have summer cottage in country or by the lake or ocean where they go to spend holidays and vacations. That is real full time job to maintain house and yard what is left cold and empty for long winters... I dont think that RV can ever beat that work :)

My intent is to challenge, so you think through this process.  I am sure you can maintain the camper, but if I were traveling here on holiday, I would not want to spend the first week working on the camper.

Our local Enterprise does not rent any HD or SD pickups.  Glad you have a source!

If you buy a camper and rent a truck, that may allow a bit newer and better condition camper!  It also gives you a place to store stuff between trips, including a hitch.

I wish you the very best in your endeavor!  Please let us know what you decide!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom