Newbie just starting the search for a camper van - looking here for info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jvangurp

Hi all! I'm a year from retirement and we have plans to spend winters driving from snowbound Nova Scotia down through the US over a few winters, exploring national and state parks and enjoying the scenery and warmer weather. We picture it in a van type RV like a RoadTrek or smaller (if they exist). Having no real clue what is "out there" in the used RV scene I figured this is the best place to start looking at the options. Looking forward to learning. Cheers! John

Welcome on board. Theres a lot to think about in your new venture. I'd suggest going to some rv shows to see what's out there and what would suit best. Consider what floorplan you prefer as this is really important.

Keep reading the posts, you'll be amazed at what you learn and ask questions as you need to!

Enjoy  ;)

Welcome from another Canuck!!

I think you may find a Roadtrek size vehicle kinda small (These are normally what we call a class B  RV.) There are larger class B's built on a Sprinter small diesel chassis that are worth consideration. Depending how how you plan to spend time once reaching the warmer climes and the length of stay at any given place, you will find the "trek" type of vehicle is good for driving/traveling but tight for living. (JMHO) There are several big dealerships in the Halifax area that may be a good place to start exploring. (Leave your cheque book at home!!!) Consider a used vehicle first and avoid the big depreciation bite in the first year or two.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I will add that we are tent campers from way back and are used to pretty close quarters, and that's the logic behind looking for a Class B Roadtrek type rv. I plan to take my time looking around and visiting local deals with the boss. Cheers! John

You might want to rent on for a week or weekend to see how you "fit."  Consider that spending several months in a small vehicle is very different than spending a few days or a couple of weeks. You will also need to bring more stuff for your longer trip, and that size vehicle has very little storage.  You certainly can do it, but you might have to not bring winter clothing or bedding, for example.  Also consider what it will be like to stay indoors if you have several days of rain, something we have all experienced.

In any case, good luck with your travels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom