Newbie looking to outfit TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beverly

Hi all,
We just purchased our first TT (hybrid- Rockwood Roo 17) and I am in the process of getting all the necessities (for the functionality of the TT and set up (toilet, sink etc.) The cooking/sleeping necessities will come later!). Below are the things I am looking to purchase and some things I still have questions on. I appreciate input or personal experience with any of the products that I'm considering. We live in New England and are weekend warriors.
  • Have wheel chocks- first thing purchased!
  • Mirror extensions- second thing purchased!
  • Rhinoflex Sewer Hose Kit- 20'- saw lots of positive posts about the Rhinoflex and like the versatility of having 2 10' hoses. Any reasons I should reconsider?
  • Camco TastePure drinking hose, lead free- I'm assuming these are all pretty comparable as long as they are rated for drinking?
  • Getting gloves for sewer hose clean up and taking the tip to have a spray bottle with bleach/water mixture for any cleanups.
  • Garden hose for tank flushing.
  • Big question on water regulators. Have seen many posts about not getting a cheap one and getting an adjustable one with a gauge. Is it really necessary to spend $55+ on this item. That's what I'm seeing price-wise for that type.
  • Trying to figure out the best thing to use under our jacks? Not really interested in paying lots of money. Leaning towards wood blocks. Any downfalls to that? How big should they be? What about cinder blocks? I see a lot of TT at CG with them. Any downfalls to those besides the added weight?
  • What are the absolute bare necessities for a TT tool kit?
  • Big questions about black and gray water holding tank chemicals. I've read that most full timers don't use chemicals at all, but use lots of water. Not sure the same concept applies to weekend warriors doing 2-3 day trips?I'm leaning towards the chemicals and considering the following: Black tank: Walex porta-pak (purple), and for gray tank: Walex Elemonate. Does anyone have experience with these products? Any different ones I should consider?
  • How long of an electric cord is best? Our TT came with a 25'. Should we invest in an extension cord right away, or is it something we can hold off on?
  • Our TT is 30 amps, should we have a 50 amp adapter right away or check for where we are camping?
  • It's sounding like good sized outdoor rugs are pretty important- is a door mat sized sufficient or should we get a larger size?

I'm sure this list isn't 100% complete, so if there are any items glaringly missing- please let me know. Most of the items I mentioned specifically I am finding best prices on Amazon/Walmart. If anyone has suggestions for other places to look, I'd appreciate that as well. I'm very glad to have found this forum as I've learned so much in just a few days.

Thank you all in advance for the help. We take our first trip next weekend. (If we can get the backing up part down by then!  :-\)

Our TT is 30 amps, should we have a 50 amp adapter right away or check for where we are camping?

Personally. I'd be more inclined to get an adapter for house power (30 amp to 15 amp) before investing is a 50 amp. I've got one, and have never used it. Most campgrounds will all have 30 amps, not all have 50 amps, particularly if they're older.
http://www.dyersonline.com/jr-30-amp-f-to-15-amp-m-dogbone-electrical-adapter.html

Water regulators: I've bought two cheap ones from Amazon,and they both broke. Have not replaced them yet.
Toilet chemicals: I'm more of a weekend warrior and have not used chemicals for years.
Tool kit: I have the basics, screwdrivers, combination wrenches, and a 3/8 drive socket set. Also have a couple of crescent wrenches. This carried over from the days I was driving a 10 year old motor home.
I think one could get by in a travel trailer with a couple crescent wrenches, a pair of channel locks,a couple screwdrivers,and a roll of duct tape to cover most emergency repairs.
Blocks of wood will suffice.I cut mine from a 2x6.

I carry a small hydraulic bottle jack and a breaker bar and socket in case I need to change a tire.

Don't go overboard buying things toy THINK you might need.
During your first few trips out, keep a list of what you need.
If you need something right away, there will probably be a Walmart nearby that will have most anything you might need.

Should have mentioned to wait on the electric cord extension. 25' should cover most every need. It's not an absolute necessity. The 20 ft. sewer connection is good to have, as I found out on my last trip.

Not sure where you got the idea an outdoor rug is a needed item. It fits under those nice to have, but can get by without accessories. I don't have one, but then, where I camp and how I camp doesn't call for it. Outside chairs and barbecue tools were more of a necessity for me. Also, I bought one of those grills you place over a firepit, works great for hot dogs, brats, etc.

My DH and I made a punch list the first few times for what we really needed. It varied from things like containers for sugar, coffee, etc. velcro stickies to hold things down, to tools needed. Jeff is spot on with what's needed as far as tools. I added a hammer, though. But I have a vintage motor home. :D

Toilet chemicals, I don't use so I can't help on that. Proper dumping and water works perfectly well, no odors whatsoever.

In regards to your utility hose; I got one of the black hoses that shrinks when not in use (As Seen on TV).  The one I have is 50', light weight and has good brass fittings.  I keep it in a small bucket.  The bucket comes in handy to douse fires amongst other things.

Tools, test everything for the size and type of tool it needs.  My trailer uses 3/4" sockets on a lot of things.  Check your access panels so you can get to pumps or lines,etc. 

Beginners always want to go to Camping World and buy out the store. That is a very bad idea. You will end up spending a bunch of money you don't need to and adding a bunch of weight that you don't need. The best thing to do is to wait until the need for something arises and then go get it. You don't need chemicals in the toilet whether you are a full timer or a weekend warrior. Water breaks down waste and if you use enough water then it is never a problem. Just make sure you don't dump until the black tank is at least 3/4 full or you will end up with the dreaded poop pyramid. It doesn't matter for a drinking hose, anything works. Most RV parks sell all things on your list so if you need anything you can usually pick it up at the office or the local Walmart.

SeilerBird said:
Beginners always want to go to Camping World and buy out the store. That is a very bad idea. You will end up spending a bunch of money you don't need to and adding a bunch of weight that you don't need. The best thing to do is to wait until the need for something arises and then go get it. You don't need chemicals in the toilet whether you are a full timer or a weekend warrior. Water breaks down waste and if you use enough water then it is never a problem. Just make sure you don't dump until the black tank is at least 3/4 full or you will end up with the dreaded poop pyramid. It doesn't matter for a drinking hose, anything works. Most RV parks sell all things on your list so if you need anything you can usually pick it up at the office or the local Walmart.

I totally concur with this.....
Strolling down aisles and aisles of RV camp gear, one cannot help but pick up this and that. And the grimaces upon check out are priceless.

And Camping World is the most expensive place I have had the occasion to visit. They are NOT competitive at all.

For leveling wheels and under jack feet......I used those bright yellow Lego style blocks........and most of them ended up tweaked and would not nest together again.
An 8' piece of 2"x6" lumber cut into to 12" pieces will yield 8 blocks.......tough stuff for leveling and jack bases plus cheap and available most anywhere.

And if it's within the realm of possibility for you or anyone, a stash of "C" notes deftly hidden in the RV may bail you out of a tough situation should the wallet or purse get lost or worse!!

Just thought of a couple things that are "must have" (in my opinion)....

It would be a good idea to find out what type of fuses your 12v electrical system has, and have some of those on hand.
You should have a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector if not already installed.
Check the batteries if they are installed.

We carry two lengths of 2x8 to help level the trailer side to side. Bevel the ends of each one, then put one under the wheels on the low side and pull the trailer up on it. We've had to use both of them a few times and they do make a difference. We put 2x6x12 pads under the jacks. Cheap and easy. A clear elbow to go between the tank discharge and the sewer line is also a good idea. Also make sure you have a lug wrench that will handle the nuts on both your tow vehicle and trailer. I don't know how long your drinking water hose is, but due to the location of our fresh water intake, we've had to use two sections of hose more often than not. Same with two sections of sewer hose.

- Plastic folding dishpan so you can dump dishwater in toilet or in campground-provided waste dump, assuming you have a small holding tank.

- ziplock bags in multiple sizes

- adjustable curtain rod to put in refrigerator to keep things from falling off shelves as you drive in case door pops open.

- Small plastic bins or baskets to organize things like silverware or dishes, spices, etc.

- Electronic bug swatter

Also, you might to buy a small canvas toolbox from Sears for your tools so they don't rattle around. 

Thank you everyone- these suggestions are really helpful! I already talked myself out of the Camping World trip and am really trying to keep it to the basics- at least for now.

I ended getting a starter kit with 15' sewer hose, 25' water hose and regulator, and 15M/30F electrical adapter. Our first trip is local with friends who have a similar TT. It will be nice to have them along for questions (already got the bottle of wine as a thank you for their help!) and should be a great run through before heading up to New Hampshire in a couple weeks for a real trip! I did get a rug, I think the type of camping we'll be doing will necessitate it to keep the TT interior clean. Got a cheap one on sale- so no big deal. If nothing else, it will give us a homey feel.  :)

Not investing in anything for organization etc. for the interior until I actually get a feel for what we need. Will definitely have the list of things needed next time handy.  I'm sure we'll add to it regularly.

Thanks to your input here I will also be getting the following:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Clear elbow for sewer hose connection (thank you Patnsuzanne for this!)
[*]Will be going with the 2 x 6 for the leveling feet (thanks marcortez! Will  try for the "c" notes hidden within TT, but I'm afraid I might find them!)
[*]Thankfully we have most of what Jeff mentioned for the tool kit, so with a couple additions (fuses-excellent call!) I think we're good to go. Also like the idea of a canvas toolbox JudyJB! Smoke and CO detectors are hardwired.
[/list]

JudyJB- I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind as we go. I already like your ideas- I never camp without ziplocks!

Now to get that backing up part down..... :-\

Hi Beverly--another newbie here. If you are going to be where there are a lot of bugs, I suggest considering a screen room. We bought the Clam since it is very easy to put up, I do it by myself. And it has no floor so you can erect it and with a buddy lift it up over a picnic table. Not too expensive, but it helps if you have a pass-thru to store it as it is 6 feet long when stored.

https://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporation-9281-Quick-Set-140-Inch/dp/B00E3LF7FK

We are also newbies to camping.  Some of the trinkets I purchased that I'm glad I did are:
- Fresh water filter
- Socket to use battery drill to raise/lower stabilizers
- Extra length of sewer hose (I needed the full 20' last weekend!)
- Clear sewer elbow
- Leveling blocks
- Collapsible ladder and broom to clean off top of slide out
- Garden hose for black tank sprayer

Wish I had:
  - Bottle jack for changing tire.  I hit a curb last weekend and needed to call roadside assistance.  I have a jack now!
  - Regular household extension cord so I can use my electric tire pump on the side that doesn't have an outlet (have it now!)

We found MUCH better pricing on Camco items on Amazon.  We use 2x6 scraps under tongue and stabilizers. 

Like I said, we are still very new at this so I am curious to see other's responses too!

Happy Camping!

Thanks Henkelphoto- have a similar one from our tenting days (3 weeks ago lol)!

BeagleDad- I've thought about the drill and socket. Going to try it without for the first time and see how we do. I'm sure we'll want that set up however. I've gone back and forth about the length of the sewer hose. I ended up with the 15' thinking I can get another 10' if needed. Going to risk it the first time around. I will live and learn!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allen v
Back
Top Bottom