Newbie, needs help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hairscrambler

Hi all, I am new to RV'ing and am an experianced camper. I went up to the 1000 Islands area of NY this weekend to check out a camper for sale. It is a 1973 Holiday Rambler towable. Not sure of the exact model or length but is close to 18 feet. it is old but in great shape considering it's age. It has a full shower bathroom, a refrigerator, a 3 burner stove, a double sink, dual axles and looks to sleep 5-6. I used it for two nights and everything seems good. The guy wants 800 bucks for it and that to me sounds like a great deal and a good way to get into RV'ing. A few questions I have are : 1. How is the price ? 2. Are these good travel trailers ? 3. Anything I should be aware of with these models ? 4 . How should I check if like an inspection ? 5. It has no Air Conditioning and I really want one. I checked some on line sources and they are expensive. I was thinking of putting a home type air conditioner in it because I can get one form like home depot for around 100 bucks. Also how many BTU's do I need for a trailer this size ? Thanks in advance. Also how do I post pictures ?

For a trailer that old, condition is everything. Under $1000 is cheap by any measure, though.

Holiday Rambler built a good rig, but  at 37 years of age that is academic. How it was cared for is what's important.  See the Forum Library sections on Checklists and Buying an RV for some tips about what to look for when buying a used RV.

Yes, you can probably stuff a window air conditioner in somewhere. May take some work with a saw - residential window a/c's aren't meant for RV windows. There are also portable a/c's that just need to run an exhaust vent hose to a  window. They cost more, but might be easier to install.  And the a/c will consume a fair amount of your limited power (I'm guessing the trailer has a 30A shore power system).

BTU-wise, you probably need around 10,000-12,000 in a small trailer. Air circulation is the problem - it is hard to get the cooling uniform. Use of table fan(s) can help move the air around better.

Posting pictures: Click REPLY to see the full message creation screen. Look below the text box for Additional Options... and click that - you will seean dialogue to Attach pictures and files.

Welcome to The RV forum.  As you see from Gary's response, we are a friendly and helpful bunch.  With any RV, especially older units, water invasion can be a real problem.  Look for signs of leaks and be sure they have been repaired and no serious structural damage exists.  Plumbing leaks should be considered too.

Having already been an experienced camper, you will get into this RV thing very easily.

Welcome aboard!

I agree with the above.  Especially the possibility of structural damage from corrosion. Particularly the frame. Besides new tires, wheel bearings will have to be inspected and re-packed as well as suspension bushings and shocks. You could just about count on replacing the fridge and hot water heater as well.  A $100. a/c unit will be good for cooling off one small room, not the entire RV.
Then there's those parks that might not let you enter due to the year.  Especially if they see a window a/c unit sticking out of it.  Sounds like it would make a decent RV to keep in one place though.

I say buy it, fix it up and by the spring you will have a nice rig. I saw a guy yesterday with a 2010 Ford F-250 pulling a CLEAN mid-70's trailer. There are plenty of places to camp out with the older rigs. I was turned down last week for a reservation at a beach spot in San Diego, Ca. Oh well, spent the money some place else. ;D Some places have a ten year rule. This place had a ten year for MH's and fifteen for trailers and slide-in campers, no tents on weekdays, no exposed ice chests on Tuesdays, and full paint required on anything coming through the gate. ;D ;D ;D Just too many hoops to jump through.
I wish you were near me, I have a roof A/C you could have for free.
J

definitely check all your running gear, bent axles are a complete pain in the rear to replace, heck, just finding replacement axles is a pain.  They aren't cheap either.  As was mentioned above, water damage is always a major concern and people find some pretty clever ways of hiding it.  I bought a fixer upper a few years ago and thought the water damage was easily repairable, I soon realized the water damage was like an iceberg, what you see at the surface is a very small part of it, it got to the point that I didn't even want to look at the thing anymore, they guy I sold it to was tickled, he got a great deal on an RV that was as dry and clean as an 84 could be, I just wanted it out of my sight.

If you need axles check out Redneck Trailer Parts. They even have a disc brake conversion package. Can you tell if there is is much interest in that unit? If not you may get it for $400, just to get it off of his hands.
J

Hi all thanks for the warm welcome. This place is like the RV bible. Lots of nice folks with a ton of experience. I am a home remodeler and former over the road trucker so I am familiar with building inspections and over the road vehicle inspections. I've checked it out pretty good and only found a few items in need of attention. The trailer will be stationed near a state park that has no restrictions on age of vehicle allowed. In fact when I was up there there was a 1963 trailer a few sites away from me. I'm leaning towards a portable AC unit. A friend has one that is barely used, bought last spring and used just a few times, and he wants to barter it to me since he does not use it. It is a 10,000 BTU unit and I can vent it with a simple dryer type vent in the side of the trailer. I'll keep ya posted on my progress and try to get some photos posted. Thanks again for your help and I look forward to contributing to the forum.

Larry

What kind of panel are you thinking ?? I doubt much that I will even you that stove if at all though. I'll be camping in warm weather and use outdorr Coleman grill to go. ;D

I have to assume that sometime in it's life the front couch was removed and the bed was installed?  Can you convert it back to a couch.  Or are you happy this way.  Looks really good for it,s age.  Have fun camping.

Ya, I think your right Donn. I'd really like to convert it back. The only problem is that the bunk on top of it is permanently fixed. I will look into how to make it more comfortable. Right now you could not sit on the couch because of the upper bunk. Any suggestions or comments on how to fix this ? I am sure this was someones handi work because it limits seating in the trailer when not sleeping. Thanks again all for your help.

Larry

Nothing is permanent in these things, except the holding tanks. Somebody put the bunk up, it will come down. Take your time and really look at the construction.
J

I did look at the ceiling above the top bunk. It appears the sun/heat has loosened the glue. It is all solid and no signs of water leaks inside or out. :-[

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom