Newbie & Planning ahead...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottM2753

I'm roughly about 8-10 years from retirement and I'm tired of the sticks & bricks life and unruly neighbors so... I'm starting now to look at RV's to go full time.  I've used RV's (as a weekend warrior) in the past when I was still married so I am "slightly" familiar with them but since it will be just me, and possibly a feline companion, I'm not sure what I want yet.  I'm looking at used RV's, in the Class A and Class C range, preferably diesel, and possibly even looking at ditching the car and going with a hitch carried scooter or motorcycle.  I'm very handy, having been in and around the construction industry for many years and a former US Navy "Bubblehead" (Submariner) Electrical/Electronics geek lol, so when it comes to finding something to "upgrade" I know that I will be able to do so even though I may have to look at some systems manuals or talk to other friendly RVers. 

My main goal?  Travel this beautiful country in my remaining years - not in a hurry to get anywhere in particular, work-camp here and there, follow the birds (exceedingly avid birder (or is that rabid???)) and explore one of my main passions... landscape photography.

So... any advice?

Oh... and Hi all!  8)

Hi and welcome to the forum.  Sounds like a good plan. Quite a few avid bird watchers on here.

I suggest reading the posts as they appear and joining in anytime. You'll be surprised at how much you learn. Also check out the library and if you have anything specific you can also use the search function to look at older posts.

Happy hunting for your new home.

Hello & welcome!

The only advice I can offer is the method we used to decide on our coach. 
We went to as many dealerships and shows as possible and looked at everything they had (not just motorized even though that was what we were looking at purchasing).  My wife kept a note book and took pictures on her phone of things we (lets face it, she) liked or disliked.... this dinette, TV placed here, and on and on.  Over time we "built" the floor plan we wanted without ever seeing it.
Then it was my turn!  I started asking questions (many in here) about everything and researching reliability. 
In the end we identified a couple floor plans from a few manufacturers and waited until we found what we wanted in our price range (used).  When we found it in TX (we live in Chicago) we made the sales person do a Facetime tour with us live so we could ask questions and see things that weren't in the pictures.  Finally, we sent someone from www.wegolook.com to inspect the coach, and report back.  Two days later we flew to TX and drove it home.

That's just what worked for us, so take it for what it's worth.

Good luck!

J

Remember, a drive train sitting is a drive train doomed to destruction.  Leaving a MH sittingmfor months on end is a sad way to send a perfectly good RV to the grave.  If you have a place figured out, consider a park model for more room.  Then a smaller RV for weekends and vacations.

jackiemac said:
Also check out the library and if you have anything specific you can also use the search function to look at older posts.

Happy hunting for your new home.

Thank you!  Oh!  A Library!  I hadn't even noticed that - thanks for the tip, some really great stuff in there!

donn said:
Remember, a drive train sitting is a drive train doomed to destruction.  Leaving a MH sittingmfor months on end is a sad way to send a perfectly good RV to the grave.  If you have a place figured out, consider a park model for more room.  Then a smaller RV for weekends and vacations.

If that was so, then all of us that can't Snowbird yet would have MH's ready for the grave?  I don't think so.

It's true that using a MH is better then letting it sit.  However sitting for 6 months in and of itself I don't believe will kill it.

To the OP.
There are pros and cons to almost everything - as I assume you all ready knew that.
If your thinking about having a motorcycle (or scooter) as your only transportation (no car) then an enclosed Trailer is something to look at.
It keeps the motorcycle out of sight and the rain off of it.  A trailer can haul a lot of other stuff too.  With a Class A diesel there is basically no difference in mileage towing an enclosed trailer.

If you are thinking of full-timing than a Class A diesel is the best choice IMO. 
Some of your decision might depend on how much you can spend on an RV.  Since your starting so early (gaining knowledge) things will change a lot in 8-10 years. 
But I'll tell you what your going to hear many times if you haven't already.  Floorplan is one of the most important things to consider.

Buckeye4692002 said:
Hello & welcome!

Thank you!  Yes, I am definitely looking at used RV's around here.  I'm going about it slow - I still haven't decided which I want, a Class A or C, I've read a lot of yay's and nay's for both, I don't need a lot of room, but I do want very comfortable - and enough room to put visiting family & friends up every now and then.

The great thing is at least here in Florida we certainly do seem to have an abundance of used RV's lol.

RedandSilver said:
If you are thinking of full-timing than a Class A diesel is the best choice IMO.

Thank you, yeah whichever style I get I am definitely thinking diesel for the longevity.  I've actually seen several bus conversions in fairly decent shape around here, they are near the top of my list, but like you said, I have some time and a LOT of reading and a LOT of YouTube to watch from other full-timers out there.  ;)

ScottM2753 said:
Thank you, yeah whichever style I get I am definitely thinking diesel for the longevity.  I've actually seen several bus conversions in fairly decent shape around here, they are near the top of my list, but like you said, I have some time and a LOT of reading and a LOT of YouTube to watch from other full-timers out there.  ;)

Just know that most Bus Conversions do NOT have slides.  That makes a world of difference when full-timing even if you are alone - like me.
I only have 2 slides but fortunately they are fairly deep so that helps.  All I can say is I would never want less then what I have now.

One big reason for a Diesel is if you want to see the USA there are lots of mountains around and sooner or later your going to go up some.
In most cases the diesel will do that easier then any gas model - usually.  Most diesels will out tow any gas units - so fewer limits by comparison.
Also IMO - being able to fuel with the trucks is much easier then a large gas MH trying to fuel with the cars.  Once you decide to go over 40-42 feet there will be few if any gas models available in those lengths anyways. And I'm 99.9% sure there is no such thing as a 45ft gas model.  ;D

RedandSilver said:
Just know that most Bus Conversions do NOT have slides.  That makes a world of difference when full-timing even if you are alone - like me.
I only have 2 slides but fortunately they are fairly deep so that helps.  All I can say is I would never want less then what I have now.

One big reason for a Diesel is if you want to see the USA there are lots of mountains around and sooner or later your going to go up some.
In most cases the diesel will do that easier then any gas model - usually.  Most diesels will out tow any gas units - so fewer limits by comparison.
Also IMO - being able to fuel with the trucks is much easier then a large gas MH trying to fuel with the cars.  Once you decide to go over 40-42 feet there will be few if any gas models available in those lengths anyways. And I'm 99.9% sure there is no such thing as a 45ft gas model.  ;D

I know I'm saying this now - but after almost 9 years on a submarine, the "width" of the MH doesn't concern me too awfully much.  Who knows what I'll really get though lol.  The idea of that big industrial diesel in a bus conversion sure is attractive though.  I hadn't thought of a trailer to tow behind for extra storage, such as a scooter or motorbike but that could be nice.  It might make a nice shop too for OTR repairs.

Back
Top Bottom